Van Hollebeke retiring to begin medical school

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Dr. Mike Fisher, national Gatorade player of the year, star at Uva, Herman award winner, MLS draftee

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mike_Fisher_(soccer

Duke medical?

Dumb jock, slacker

;)

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Dr. Mike Fisher, national Gatorade player of the year, star at Uva, Herman award winner, MLS draftee

Duke medical?

Dumb jock, slacker

;)
      Probably didn't get accepted at a NESCAC.

Comment

You are wrong on every single one of your assumptions above. And beyond that, did you consider that she'll be 39 when she starts practicing medicine post-training? Not sure anyone would consider that ideal.
        I love when the knucklehead doc shows up and writes such stupid things. The proof is right in front of him, Hollenback is retiring from professional soccer at age 30 to go to medical school and yet he completely dismisses it. If anyone has a soccer playing kid who has aspirations of going to medical Hollenback is exactly whose footstep the should follow. It can be done, just not easily. The knucklehead can't admit that an athlete can go on to medical school because that would mean that their myopic journey to medical school wasn't all that special when you have someone who achieved the same thing basically in their spare time. All they can say is that starting medical school at age 30 is dumb. I have been in practice for roughly 30 years now and had one classmate who started medical with me when she was over 40 and several others that were in their 30's.

Comment

I love when the knucklehead doc shows up and writes such stupid things. The proof is right in front of him, Hollenback is retiring from professional soccer at age 30 to go to medical school and yet he completely dismisses it. If anyone has a soccer playing kid who has aspirations of going to medical Hollenback is exactly whose footstep the should follow. It can be done, just not easily. The knucklehead can't admit that an athlete can go on to medical school because that would mean that their myopic journey to medical school wasn't all that special when you have someone who achieved the same thing basically in their spare time. All they can say is that starting medical school at age 30 is dumb. I have been in practice for roughly 30 years now and had one classmate who started medical with me when she was over 40 and several others that were in their 30's.
          Welcome back buddy! And thanks for the massive distortion. It's wonderful what she's doing. Just didn't happen the way you are "painting" it as far as when and how she did her classes. She was the real deal. No need for summer community college "watered down" and "diluted" pre-med courses. And you STILL are spelling her name wrong!

Comment

Her resume will read MD and former national team player no matter how anyone spins it.

Comment

Her resume will read MD and former national team player no matter how anyone spins it.
              We'll know for sure in 4 years and then in 8 years we'll know what kind of doc she is.

Comment

How was national camp? How is the squad looking?

Comment

Current average age for medical student at matriculation is 25. Age thirty is the 95th percentile.

Congrats to her. It is quite an accomplishment. Even for a non varsity athlete it would be great, let alone a D1 athlete competing at the highest level of college soccer.

BTW, not all post MD training programs are 4 years. A friend's daughter is in a three year emergency medicine program (including intern year.)

NH

Comment

Duke medical?

Dumb jock, slacker

;)
                    Some interesting quotes from the article:

"Despite these many successes, Fisher began losing interest in soccer by his last season in Virginia. The day after day grind of practice wore on the biology major and Fisher began considering alternates to professional soccer. In 1996, he took off the spring semester from school to train with the U-23 national team, then preparing for the 1996 Summer Olympics. That experience proved decisive for Fisher, who was merely selected as an alternate. As Fisher put it, "When I got through my fourth year of college, I figured I lost a little interest in playing. It wasn't as much fun. I took the spring semester off to be with the Olympic team in San Diego. We were living the life of a professional soccer player. You couldn't go out and have a lot of fun. . . . When I returned to Virginia, I figured I would do something else. Luckily, I had medical school to fall back on."[1]

Money also played a part in Fisher decision. In an interview for the UVa newspaper, Fisher explained, “Soccer's a little different in that if you come out of college and want to play, maybe you'll make $30,000 a year. If you're lucky and play well for five or six years, you maybe get up to high five figures in salary. If you go to medical school and come out of your residency, you start making six figures after two years of private practice.”[2]

Finally, Fisher became interested in orthopedic medicine working with Dr. Frank McCue, a professor and surgeon who worked with the UVa soccer team. After Arena, the Olympic team coach, offered Fisher only an alternate slot on the team, Fisher decided instead to work with Dr. McCue for the rest of the summer. His time with the doctor cemented his decision to leave soccer and pursue medicine full-time."

By the way, UVa medical per the article.

NH

Comment

Wow, what an accomplishment. To play high-level college soccer and be able to do the serious academics required to be admitted to medical school is truly amazing.

I wonder though, how realistic is it for a person to play college soccer and have medical school as a goal.
                      I have followed WS pretty closely over the years and I vaguely recall this player. I am going to say that she worked harder at school than soccer. Smart move. While the Mewis sisters are drawing $50 game checks (plus $7.25 in meal money) in East Bulgaria womens league she will be making $500k as an MD.

Comment

Must have just missed that she was on the women's national team for a number of years.

Comment

I have followed WS pretty closely over the years and I vaguely recall this player. I am going to say that she worked harder at school than soccer. Smart move. While the Mewis sisters are drawing $50 game checks (plus $7.25 in meal money) in East Bulgaria womens league she will be making $500k as an MD.
                          She has 100 caps. Played in the various professional leagues. And her income will depend largely on what she decides to practice and what "Health Care" looks like in 10 years.

You are an ignoramus.

Comment

She has 100 caps. Played in the various professional leagues. And her income will depend largely on what she decides to practice and what "Health Care" looks like in 10 years.

You are an ignoramus.
                            When did Ted Cruz join TS? So you are saying that women are better off pursuing soccer rather than med school? I am guessing your daughter is a U14 and you have already dropped $50,000 into the club soccer machine.

Comment

When did Ted Cruz join TS? So you are saying that women are better off pursuing soccer rather than med school? I am guessing your daughter is a U14 and you have already dropped $50,000 into the club soccer machine.
                              You are a dip ****. Go re-read what I posted.

You made a stupid and ignorant claim about how Ms. Van Hollebeke must have valued education over soccer. Facts confirm that she had a 100 caps and played professionally for 9 years. Obviously she could have attended Medical school immediately post undergrad (at Stanford) but decided to give the soccer thing a try. And to make it worse, you attempt to disparage the two most decorated female soccer players from MA in the process.

The Ted Cruz reference is incomprehensible.

On Med School. It is expensive and she will likely not be practicing until she is in her early 40's (especially if she specializes). To make $500K you need to be fellowship trained and be in practice for awhile. My guess is that she is not doing this for the money or she would have done it a lot sooner.

P.S. My kids are well past U14 and quite honestly none of them had the talent athletically or intellectually that Ms. Van Hollebeke has.

Comment

Reading the article, she is interested in becoming a surgeon.

As a surgeon, 500K is not unreasonable. Of course, surgery is one of the longer residencies.

On what information was the following quote based:

"Obviously she could have attended Medical school immediately post undergrad (at Stanford) but decided to give the soccer thing a try."

There is nothing obvious about that.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X