Sideline craziness

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Pitiful display by FC Bolts Spartans parents this weekend. Father of one boy walked up to the bench to yell at his kid. Parents yelling at/taunting opposing players. Kids flopping when mom and dad complained about physical play from the sidelines. Coach not understanding the rules. Orgasmic spasms when they scored a goal.

Just a pathetic scene. Stay classy, Bolts.

Comment

Nothing I haven't seen before from a Spartans coach and parents.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Pitiful display by FC Bolts Spartans parents this weekend. Father of one boy walked up to the bench to yell at his kid. Parents yelling at/taunting opposing players. Kids flopping when mom and dad complained about physical play from the sidelines. Coach not understanding the rules. Orgasmic spasms when they scored a goal.
        Just a pathetic scene. Stay classy, Bolts.
        Just a general comment on sideline behavior: Clubs seem to miss the connection between "orgasmic" cheering for goals--which, as long as it is not a blowout seems harmless or maybe even a good thing--and the kinds of craziness described in this thread. Clubs and coaches seem to think "Jubilant cheering for goals & "good plays" (howsoever they might define "good plays...") = Good; Screaming at Refs/Kids = Bad". However, I've seen a close correlation among the parent sidelines that go nuts for goals and the parent sidelines that cross the line with yelling at kids, sideline coaching, engaging opponent parents, referee harassing etc. These behaviors are related and are signs of the over-invested parent. I'm not asking for "golf clapping", and I don't want to step on anyone's cultural traditions (unless that includes a cow-bell...), but I wish there was some more restraint from the spectators at KIDS games. I know some will call me a kill-joy, and say "I love it when our 'close-knit' (!!) parent group erupts for our kids' success", but mark my words: The loud dad you love for whooping it up for your little Landon's goals is going to be the same dad you hate for screaming at little Landon for not tracking back.

Comment

Just a general comment on sideline behavior: Clubs seem to miss the connection between "orgasmic" cheering for goals--which, as long as it is not a blowout seems harmless or maybe even a good thing--and the kinds of craziness described in this thread. Clubs and coaches seem to think "Jubilant cheering for goals & "good plays" (howsoever they might define "good plays...") = Good; Screaming at Refs/Kids = Bad". However, I've seen a close correlation among the parent sidelines that go nuts for goals and the parent sidelines that cross the line with yelling at kids, sideline coaching, engaging opponent parents, referee harassing etc. These behaviors are related and are signs of the over-invested parent. I'm not asking for "golf clapping", and I don't want to step on anyone's cultural traditions (unless that includes a cow-bell...), but I wish there was some more restraint from the spectators at KIDS games. I know some will call me a kill-joy, and say "I love it when our 'close-knit' (!!) parent group erupts for our kids' success", but mark my words: The loud dad you love for whooping it up for your little Landon's goals is going to be the same dad you hate for screaming at little Landon for not tracking back.
          This is right on. A know a person whose enthusiasm was truly infectious and widely applauded when our kids were 7, 10, 12 years old. The parties, highlight videos, etc. were cool and the kids loved them, but when things didn't go his way on the field it got really ugly. And it got worse as the kids got older - just way too invested in youth teams and youth sports, to the point where it became pretty ugly.

Comment

This is right on. A know a person whose enthusiasm was truly infectious and widely applauded when our kids were 7, 10, 12 years old. The parties, highlight videos, etc. were cool and the kids loved them, but when things didn't go his way on the field it got really ugly. And it got worse as the kids got older - just way too invested in youth teams and youth sports, to the point where it became pretty ugly.
            Also when you're sitting far away from opposing parents you generally just hear loud yelling, not really what is being said. Easy to misinterpret loud enthusiasm for bad behavior.
            And not to single out any ethnic group in particular, but plenty of parents yell in their native tongue which often pisses off others who don't understand what is being said - they take cues from tone or body language but are mistaken on content

Comment

Also when you're sitting far away from opposing parents you generally just hear loud yelling, not really what is being said. Easy to misinterpret loud enthusiasm for bad behavior.
              And not to single out any ethnic group in particular, but plenty of parents yell in their native tongue which often pisses off others who don't understand what is being said - they take cues from tone or body language but are mistaken on content
              My point is that "loud enthusiasm" IS "bad behavior", in Spanish, Portugese or 'Merican.

Comment

My point is that "loud enthusiasm" IS "bad behavior", in Spanish, Portugese or 'Merican.
                not the OP but I disagree. this isn't tennis or golf.

Comment

not the OP but I disagree. this isn't tennis or golf.
                  It is not soccer, either. it is KIDS' soccer.

Comment

Lets get back to the real purpose of this thred: Anybody see the Valeo u10 dad rush the ref after their game on Sunday in Somerville?

Comment

Lets get back to the real purpose of this thred: Anybody see the Valeo u10 dad rush the ref after their game on Sunday in Somerville?
                      Missed as I was watching a u8 parent scream at a 14 year old (guessing age... They were young for sure) for stuff that was absurd. "What was that call ref... Explain yourself" and the yell at his kid who wasn't even in the play. Psycho.... It is u8 swarm the ball soccer guy. Maybe he has a kid on u10 Valeo too!!!

Comment

Missed as I was watching a u8 parent scream at a 14 year old (guessing age... They were young for sure) for stuff that was absurd. "What was that call ref... Explain yourself" and the yell at his kid who wasn't even in the play. Psycho.... It is u8 swarm the ball soccer guy. Maybe he has a kid on u10 Valeo too!!!
                        Come on now. "Psycho" is a strong word, even for Valeo. He was probably just being "LOUDLY ENTHUSIASTIC". After all, this ain't tennis...

Comment

It is not soccer, either. it is KIDS' soccer.
                          We need more singing...

Comment

Scary how that description reminds me of someone I know. Completely agree with the prior post as well.

Comment

For every one of these there is at least one example where an official inflamed the situation. As your kids get older you see more and more of them. My personal favorite is the AR with rabbit ears that wants to argue and correct parents that are within earshot discussing a particular play or call amongst themselves. Last time I saw this was last fall at a hs game and the AR was unknowingly telling a fellow ref he didn't know what the f (yes his words) he was talking about. When the parent/ref responded in kind the AR started calling for the AD. Created quite the commotion that one did.

Comment

For every one of these there is at least one example where an official inflamed the situation. As your kids get older you see more and more of them. My personal favorite is the AR with rabbit ears that wants to argue and correct parents that are within earshot discussing a particular play or call amongst themselves. Last time I saw this was last fall at a hs game and the AR was unknowingly telling a fellow ref he didn't know what the f (yes his words) he was talking about. When the parent/ref responded in kind the AR started calling for the AD. Created quite the commotion that one did.
                                I'd set the crazy parent-to-@sshole ref ratio more like 15-1 instead of your 1-1 ratio. Psycho refs certainly exist, but they are grossly outnumbered by crazy parents, imho.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X