Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Because the vast majority of girls teams are awful and must play down in order to win anything.? Is that enough elaboration?
    Oh boy.... someone alert the State as apparently the girls teams "play down". Anyone checking their rosters/cards?

Comment

GPS - the Nordstrom of club soccer

Comment

Oh boy.... someone alert the State as apparently the girls teams "play down". Anyone checking their rosters/cards?
        How about putting together your "Elite" teams and then having them play in the third brackets in tournaments or in the second third or fourth divisions in NEP. Then when they win, let's hoot and holler about how great the team is? That's playing down.

Comment

How about putting together your "Elite" teams and then having them play in the third brackets in tournaments or in the second third or fourth divisions in NEP. Then when they win, let's hoot and holler about how great the team is? That's playing down.
          Don't forget those all important GS points!

Comment

Because the vast majority of girls teams are awful and must play down in order to win anything.? Is that enough elaboration?
            Unsubstantiated claim, So no, not enough.
            The NEP is where the not-the-top teams play. GPS was equally represented during final four weekend.
            https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...xdytbA/pubhtml

It may very well be true that GPS's lower tier teams are "awful", but NEP records indicate they are no more so than the lower tiers of the other big clubs

Comment

GPS U12 fee remained the same as last year.

Last year the fee included uniforms. This year the fee includes a pre-season camp and we have to pay for uniforms.

We've looked at Stars and NEFC and both are comparable price wise for the hours you get. For instance, the GPS fee includes Winter training. The Stars fee did not.

Regarding whether the cost is worth it......

If you have your kid in club soccer because you think it will make him a super star, it's not worth the money.

If your kid is doing club soccer because he lives and loves the game and it makes him happy, totally worth it.

Our club fee works out to be $20. or so an hour. No different than piano, karate, etc.

Comment

GPS U12 fee remained the same as last year.

Last year the fee included uniforms. This year the fee includes a pre-season camp and we have to pay for uniforms.

We've looked at Stars and NEFC and both are comparable price wise for the hours you get. For instance, the GPS fee includes Winter training. The Stars fee did not.

Regarding whether the cost is worth it......

If you have your kid in club soccer because you think it will make him a super star, it's not worth the money.

If your kid is doing club soccer because he lives and loves the game and it makes him happy, totally worth it.

Our club fee works out to be $20. or so an hour. No different than piano, karate, etc.
                This is completely accurate ... at U12. Fast forward 4 years when you are being asked to drop what amounts to almost an additional $10,000 (never mind the cost of your lost wages), then redo your calculations and then give us your opinions.

Comment

This is completely accurate ... at U12. Fast forward 4 years when you are being asked to drop what amounts to almost an additional $10,000 (never mind the cost of your lost wages), then redo your calculations and then give us your opinions.
                  $10K?!?! My friend, someone is taking you to the cleaners. My daughter is U17, plays NPL for a big club, and we've never paid anywhere close to that. Although we haven't had much in terms of airfare (maybe one trip per year) versus a higher level ECNL team, your assertions are way off. I hope you kept your receipts!!!

Comment

and you are accurate... for ECNL/NPL/ODP. I am assuming the +$10K is related to travel and days off for national showcase tourneys, etc. For those content with NEP-level play, the club costs actually go down and the value props from U12 remain consistent, PLAY the game you love, stay sharp for HS, compete with friends, appreciate the windshield time with your child. And many still play in college, just not at NC.

Comment

$10K?!?! My friend, someone is taking you to the cleaners. My daughter is U17, plays NPL for a big club, and we've never paid anywhere close to that. Although we haven't had much in terms of airfare (maybe one trip per year) versus a higher level ECNL team, your assertions are way off. I hope you kept your receipts!!!

You missed the 'fast forward 4 years'. The calculations based on 20 dollars per hour...assuming 2 or 3 practices per week (3 for a quality program) at 1.5 hours per practice and a 1-2 hour game on the weekend runs between 3500 and 4500 per year. Any additional fees depends on travel to tournaments. If you are a lower tier team, I would not bother traveling to far.
                      I don't think that the poster was meaning 10K per year.

Comment

You missed the 'fast forward 4 years'. The calculations based on 20 dollars per hour...assuming 2 or 3 practices per week (3 for a quality program) at 1.5 hours per practice and a 1-2 hour game on the weekend runs between 3500 and 4500 per year. Any additional fees depends on travel to tournaments. If you are a lower tier team, I would not bother traveling to far.
                        I don't think that the poster was meaning 10K per year.
                        Got it.

Comment

GPS is overpriced!!

GPS doesn't pay their coaches well at all. Soooo, that's why they import coaches from other countries. Coaches come and go at gps like the wind. Top girls teams cant compete in top brackets anywhere anymore. Coaches are poverty stricken whist top brass and the Bradleys brothers, rob the parents.

Comment

GPS doesn't pay their coaches well at all. Soooo, that's why they import coaches from other countries. Coaches come and go at gps like the wind. Top girls teams cant compete in top brackets anywhere anymore. Coaches are poverty stricken whist top brass and the Bradleys brothers, rob the parents.
                            Isn't this a club soccer issue? Many posts on TS about the Top Brass at other clubs. As for robbing the parents... puh-leez. Robbing? Even more posts on TS about parents foolishly forking over $$$ so their D holds her place in the youth sport arms race.

We pay, they play, we HOPE our D has some success and we have fun along the way. Stop blaming a club for providing a service that parents willingly fund.

Comment

Isn't this a club soccer issue? Many posts on TS about the Top Brass at other clubs. As for robbing the parents... puh-leez. Robbing? Even more posts on TS about parents foolishly forking over $$$ so their D holds her place in the youth sport arms race.

We pay, they play, we HOPE our D has some success and we have fun along the way. Stop blaming a club for providing a service that parents willingly fund.
                              Former GPS family here. I didn't post that, but here's how I interpret the "robbery" of GPS. You pay a premium and you get complete disorganization. My three kids are at three different clubs now (somewhat insane I know), but each club has it all over GPS in terms of organization and coaching stability.

Comment

Gps is fantastic if!

If you play on the top team in the age group. Plain and simple. If you are on a second rate team you are left with a mess. The reality is the cost is basically the same no matter if your on the top team or the worst.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X