X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Huh?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Sure. But why give your $$ to other clubs? Especially when intra-club competition is just as strong.
    GPS intra-club as strong as Stars Cup competition? What are you smoking?

Comment

Sure. But why give your $$ to other clubs? Especially when intra-club competition is just as strong.
      Boys?

Comment

Originally posted by Yablu View Post
        Agreed that it is a self-run tournament, but why is that bad?
        It's not bad if it's just a collection of pre-season friendly matches. It is a bit naughty when it's a tournament used to inflate GS points.

1) It's pre-season serving same purpose as NEFC March Madness.
        If you have the teams, why funnel $ outside the club. As a GPS parent, I'm glad they run their own tournament.
        I'd expect you to be glad. If you're child is on an NPL team you're guaranteed GS points right out of the gate. If you're child is on a team like the South Elites you know you won't get pounded because the opposing GPS coach will dial things back before they get out of hand. It's a win/win for everyone.

2) It takes guts to pit your NPL team(s) against regional team(s).
        The GPS-NPL vs. GPS-ME, and GPS-NH matches are typically close. Few clubs put their top teams in a position to be upstaged by "lower" regional teams. Every player is highly motivated, I like watching these matches.
        Do you honestly believe this or are you following some type of script? Was this a slide in some powerpoint presentation they showed the parents? The only reason they are "close" is because the NPL coach doesn't want to embarrass another GPS coach. The NPL team is essentially an all-star team of GPS talent. ME and NH aren't exactly producing full teams of all-stars.

3) Stop Whining about GS Points. As you know, GS points earned are a function of the GS rankings of the other teams in the tourney. The "add to their cache" strategy only works when the other teams are highly ranked. Per #2 above, no regional team is rolling over for the NPL team. So these are good teams, playing hard and playing to win.
        I'm sure these "regional" teams are playing hard. The NPL teams would be better off playing stronger teams. The only upside for the NPL teams would be GS points.

The "add to their cache" theory most certainly works when you have the GPS Father's Day Showcase, GPS March Madness and the GPS Kickoff Classic adding points to several GPS teams to bring the collective totals up. Such a scam.

Finally, why even bring up GS points. You either care about them or you don't. If you do care, don't get mad at another club for working the system better than your club. If you don't care, then don't bring it up.
        I'm glad my club cares more about development than "working the system." [Your words by the way] You've found the perfect club for your type of family. I also don't care about GS as much as you'd think but I do care when people pretend not to care at all while trying to justify a scam they are complicit in.

If GS points aren't such a big deal why does GPS continue to strip mine for them with these friendly little tournaments. Since you pay all their travel expenses it's not to save money.

Comment

Not sure you understand GS points are a function of the teams in the bracket, so GPS is playing for warm up, not points. You don't get points for simply holding an event.

Comment

Not sure you understand GS points are a function of the teams in the bracket, so GPS is playing for warm up, not points. You don't get points for simply holding an event.
            What if I told you the Massachusetts GPS U11 and U12 teams earned a combined 8,866 Gotsoccer points in GPS tournaments last year?

All told the MA GPS boys teams earned 21,672 GS points in tournaments where the schedules/brackets were controlled by their own organization.

Comment

These "tournaments" are really just added tryouts for the NPL teams.

Comment

They certainly are in part. One of the best part of the GPS regional/NPL/National structure is that it provides opportunities for players to advance during the course of the year. Internal promotion and demotion creates healthy competition inside the club for spots. Makes for better practices and better games. They are one of the few clubs that can do so, due to their size.

Comment

There are many benefits to these tournaments for GPS. That is an incontrovertible fact. Denying the pyramid scheme of Got Soccer point generation as one of those benefits is folly.

Comment

What if I told you the Massachusetts GPS U11 and U12 teams earned a combined 8,866 Gotsoccer points in GPS tournaments last year?
                    So it IS about development?

Comment

All told the MA GPS boys teams earned 21,672 GS points in tournaments where the schedules/brackets were controlled by their own organization.
                      Just happens to be some every good teams in the tournaments, as a result more GS points.

Comment

I would say that, given the large number of MA GPS boys teams in every age group, this total is remarkably low.

And I'm guessing that it would be lower still if you deduct points from the Needham tourney, which is GPS-affilliated, but which everyone would agree is not an intra-club tourney like the labor day event and is genuinely competitive. The truth is that having multiple intra-club matches and events is NOT a good way to gather GS points--but it is a good way to build intra-club spirit and competition.

Comment

I would say that, given the large number of MA GPS boys teams in every age group, this total is remarkably low.

And I'm guessing that it would be lower still if you deduct points from the Needham tourney, which is GPS-affilliated, but which everyone would agree is not an intra-club tourney like the labor day event and is genuinely competitive. The truth is that having multiple intra-club matches and events is NOT a good way to gather GS points--but it is a good way to build intra-club spirit and competition.
                          None of those point totals came from Needham, only from tournaments labeled GPS "Whatever" Tournament. Also, there weren't many teams sharing those points. Do I need to go back and list the teams and their points gifted from the club?

When you control the brackets and the path to the finals it isn't hard to manufacture at least Finalist points. They can merely make the finals and get a heap of points. Really smart scam they run.

Comment

Stars Cup is better

I remain content with the GPS Labor Day (intramural) Tourney, but other poster's got me interested in Stars Cup brackets.
                            http://www.starsofma.org/FCStarsTour...up/889270.html

Umm... It takes more guts to go to Stars Cup, that's a legit tourney.

Comment

There are many benefits to these tournaments for GPS. That is an incontrovertible fact. Denying the pyramid scheme of Got Soccer point generation as one of those benefits is folly.
                              Folly is a good word, but here at GPS we like to use UK affectations such as "Brilliant". As in, It's Brilliant that my D gets to enjoy rest of summer and use labor day as a warm-up rather than litmus test. It's Brilliant those cheeky fellas scam the system to toss more GS quid in our cache. A cache we will use for better seeding than you in Bethesda. Where our less-stressed, higher-performing girls will collect so much GS booty they will bathe in it before we leave for Disney.

Maybe I'll see you there? You'll recognize me easily. I'm the all-american doosh in the visor, getting out of my ultra-suede pickup (like I have callouses!) with a cooler packed with Sips and Headies I just paid an uber drive to fetch in Montpelier. That is if my son doesn't have a lax tourney I need to coach.

Comment

Folly is a good word, but here at GPS we like to use UK affectations such as "Brilliant". As in, It's Brilliant that my D gets to enjoy rest of summer and use labor day as a warm-up rather than litmus test. It's Brilliant those cheeky fellas scam the system to toss more GS quid in our cache. A cache we will use for better seeding than you in Bethesda. Where our less-stressed, higher-performing girls will collect so much GS booty they will bathe in it before we leave for Disney.

Maybe I'll see you there? You'll recognize me easily. I'm the all-american doosh in the visor, getting out of my ultra-suede pickup (like I have callouses!) with a cooler packed with Sips and Headies I just paid an uber drive to fetch in Montpelier. That is if my son doesn't have a lax tourney I need to coach.
                                I guess this is supposed to be funny. Lots of effort for very little payoff.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X