Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Kick Off Classic

Accepted teams posted for the GPS preseason tournament. Nearly 100% GPS teams. Is this really a tournament when nearly every team is from the same club?

http://www.gotsport.com/events/teaml...?eventid=43714

Horrible club

Comment

Just a self run club scrimmage that awards GS points to keep the GPS propaganda machine alive. Every NPL team will win their bracket and add to their GS cache.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Horrible club
        what clubs are good? They all suck in one way or another.

Comment

Just a self run club scrimmage that awards GS points to keep the GPS propaganda machine alive. Every NPL team will win their bracket and add to their GS cache.
          Well said

Comment

But the club is big enough that there are multiple NPL teams competing at each age level--at least one each from NH, ME and RI. Seems like an entirely appropriate way to start a season.

Comment

But the club is big enough that there are multiple NPL teams competing at each age level--at least one each from NH, ME and RI. Seems like an entirely appropriate way to start a season.
              Yeah, keeping it in the 'family'. Way to go!

Comment

Agreed that it is a self-run tournament, but why is that bad?
                1) It's pre-season serving same purpose as NEFC March Madness.
                If you have the teams, why funnel $ outside the club. As a GPS parent, I'm glad they run their own tournament.

2) It takes guts to pit your NPL team(s) against regional team(s).
                The GPS-NPL vs. GPS-ME, and GPS-NH matches are typically close. Few clubs put their top teams in a position to be upstaged by "lower" regional teams. Every player is highly motivated, I like watching these matches.

3) Stop Whining about GS Points. As you know, GS points earned are a function of the GS rankings of the other teams in the tourney. The "add to their cache" strategy only works when the other teams are highly ranked. Per #2 above, no regional team is rolling over for the NPL team. So these are good teams, playing hard and playing to win.

Finally, why even bring up GS points. You either care about them or you don't. If you do care, don't get mad at another club for working the system better than your club. If you don't care, then don't bring it up.

Comment

Originally posted by Yablu View Post
                  If you have the teams, why funnel $ outside the club. As a GPS parent, I'm glad they run their own tournament.

The GPS-NPL vs. GPS-ME, and GPS-NH matches are typically close. Few clubs put their top teams in a position to be upstaged by "lower" regional teams. Every player is highly motivated, I like watching these matches.

3) Stop Whining about GS Points. As you know, GS points earned are a function of the GS rankings of the other teams in the tourney. The "add to their cache" strategy only works when the other teams are highly ranked. Per #2 above, no regional team is rolling over for the NPL team. So these are good teams, playing hard and playing to win.

Finally, why even bring up GS points. You either care about them or you don't. If you do care, don't get mad at another club for working the system better than your club. If you don't care, then don't bring it up.
                  GPS does not care about GS points. If they did, they'd be running their teams up and down the east coast trying to gather points at this time of year. Or, at a minimum, they'd be putting their top teams into Stars Cup--which likely has more points available. But who cares? Play some intra-club competitive games and see how the teams are looking. I can assure you that the GPS parents are pleased that they are starting the season locally--the time for further travel, if at all, is later in the season.

Comment

GPS does not care about GS points. If they did, they'd be running their teams up and down the east coast trying to gather points at this time of year. Or, at a minimum, they'd be putting their top teams into Stars Cup--which likely has more points available. But who cares? Play some intra-club competitive games and see how the teams are looking. I can assure you that the GPS parents are pleased that they are starting the season locally--the time for further travel, if at all, is later in the season.
                    That too. I like staying local

Comment

I am not a GPS parent, but this is a warm-up, who cares what teams you play as long as it is competative!

Comment

Accepted teams posted for the GPS preseason tournament. Nearly 100% GPS teams. Is this really a tournament when nearly every team is from the same club?

http://www.gotsport.com/events/teaml...?eventid=43714
                        this used to be the "bandits cup" i believe and many of the Maple teams would fill out the brackets along with GPS. They got tired of feeding all their money into the usual big club coffers and abbey villa started theirs which is filled with maple clubs so the money went to one of their own. Nothing more to it than that really from what i was told

Comment

Originally posted by Yablu View Post

The difference between GPS and NEFC is NEFC has teams from other clubs. 99% of the GPS teams are from GPS.

Comment

Last I check both NEFC and Stars tournaments are local. Just sayin.

Comment

Last I check both NEFC and Stars tournaments are local. Just sayin.
                              Sure. But why give your $$ to other clubs? Especially when intra-club competition is just as strong.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X