Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Are these teams better than public high school teams?
    some, not all

Comment

Are these teams better than public high school teams?
      Almost like apples to oranges. The very best prep school teams can generally play with anyone in the state but there just is not as much emphasis on sports at many of them as there is at a large public and that makes a difference in the end. For example a lot of the preps only allow a 4-5 day preseason and only play 14-15 game schedule. In the end the publics will end up more battle tested and would win most games.

Comment

Almost like apples to oranges. The very best prep school teams can generally play with anyone in the state but there just is not as much emphasis on sports at many of them as there is at a large public and that makes a difference in the end. For example a lot of the preps only allow a 4-5 day preseason and only play 14-15 game schedule. In the end the publics will end up more battle tested and would win most games.
        That's about as uninformed and stupid an answer you will find on TS.

Comment

Even if, in your opinion, the poster's answer was wrong, your reply was lazy and meaningless. Please share your informed and intelligent perspective.

Comment

Yes please explain how that post was uninformed. Have you actually had a child play for an ISL or are you just trolling?

Comment

Yes please explain how that post was uninformed. Have you actually had a child play for an ISL or are you just trolling?
              Different poster here, but full disclosure, I do have a D playing in ISL. Based on that, I would say teams from the top half of the ISL table typically would defeat most HS teams from around the state.

Don't take this as a slight on MA public high school programs. It's more that the ISLs -- many of which have a boarding option -- are in a position to attract talented club players from a pretty wide geographic area, which gives them a distinct advantage over most high schools. Aside from a few of the big regionals where there is a solid tradition of good girls soccer programming, or those few that are building quality teams through school choice, HS programs will not be competitive with the better ISLs, especially when it comes to depth.

When you see a mid-season game between two top ISL teams, or when you see a top ISL face off against a top Founders league school in the NEPSAC tourney, it can be every bit as technically and tactically competitive as an ECNL or NPL club match. It's exceedingly rare to find that level of play in the publics, and most of what you will see is mediocre by comparison.

Naturally this is just one person's opinion, but I suggest that that's why the earlier post was called out as being uninformed.

Comment

Different poster here, but full disclosure, I do have a D playing in ISL. Based on that, I would say teams from the top half of the ISL table typically would defeat most HS teams from around the state.

Don't take this as a slight on MA public high school programs. It's more that the ISLs -- many of which have a boarding option -- are in a position to attract talented club players from a pretty wide geographic area, which gives them a distinct advantage over most high schools. Aside from a few of the big regionals where there is a solid tradition of good girls soccer programming, or those few that are building quality teams through school choice, HS programs will not be competitive with the better ISLs, especially when it comes to depth.

When you see a mid-season game between two top ISL teams, or when you see a top ISL face off against a top Founders league school in the NEPSAC tourney, it can be every bit as technically and tactically competitive as an ECNL or NPL club match. It's exceedingly rare to find that level of play in the publics, and most of what you will see is mediocre by comparison.

Naturally this is just one person's opinion, but I suggest that that's why the earlier post was called out as being uninformed.
                Spot on.

Comment

I do know that Natick beat Rivers last season

Comment

Condolences to the Brooks team and community on their loss.

Comment

Condolences to the Brooks team and community on their loss.
                      A real tragedy

Comment

^ Is there something we should know?

Comment

The father and daughter who died in the plane crash out in Wisconsin a couple of days ago. She was a Brook's soccer player.

Thoughts and prayers to the family and her teammates.

Comment

Similar View

Disclosing that I have a D who played Public, and played with many ISL players in various teams, I'll offer my (biased) perspective. I fully agree with the above carefully worded post. Note use of Top-Half of ISL and Most HS teams. I agree the ISL has an unfair advantage. They can ATTRACT top club talent from wherever she lives. Additionally, the families whose D's play elite club soccer are more likely to afford/pursue ISL, or greatly appreciate the opportunity should an ISL school come knocking - which they do for the very best players. Conversely the majority of publics can't RETAIN all the stars from their MTOC caliber town teams.

Of the over 200 Public HS teams only the Top 10 (+/-) programs could hang with the top ISL teams. These starters play on the same club teams with the ISL girls. My one difference of opinion is on depth. My observation is that after the starters, the quality on the bench on the HS programs "with a solid tradition of good girls soccer programming" is deeper than the ISL bench. ISL schools can afford to attract the very best, but they are limited to filling out the rest from those that can afford them. I also agree that they tactical and technical style of ISL is greater, but the publics tend to have an enforcer or two whose physicality coupled with 3 or 4 technical players can not be discounted.

Yes there are many stereotypes, and broad generalizations in my post. In any one year and on any one team there will always be an exception.

Despite my obvious interest in this topic, I think most would agree that when it comes to getting noticed for college - It doesn't matter. The NESCAC coaches are no more likely to be found on the sidelines of Nobles on a Wed afternoon then they are at Needham on a Saturday night

Comment

Originally posted by Yablu View Post
                              Disclosing that I have a D who played Public, and played with many ISL players in various teams, I'll offer my (biased) perspective. I fully agree with the above carefully worded post. Note use of Top-Half of ISL and Most HS teams. I agree the ISL has an unfair advantage. They can ATTRACT top club talent from wherever she lives. Additionally, the families whose D's play elite club soccer are more likely to afford/pursue ISL, or greatly appreciate the opportunity should an ISL school come knocking - which they do for the very best players. Conversely the majority of publics can't RETAIN all the stars from their MTOC caliber town teams.

Of the over 200 Public HS teams only the Top 10 (+/-) programs could hang with the top ISL teams. These starters play on the same club teams with the ISL girls. My one difference of opinion is on depth. My observation is that after the starters, the quality on the bench on the HS programs "with a solid tradition of good girls soccer programming" is deeper than the ISL bench. ISL schools can afford to attract the very best, but they are limited to filling out the rest from those that can afford them. I also agree that they tactical and technical style of ISL is greater, but the publics tend to have an enforcer or two whose physicality coupled with 3 or 4 technical players can not be discounted.

Yes there are many stereotypes, and broad generalizations in my post. In any one year and on any one team there will always be an exception.

Despite my obvious interest in this topic, I think most would agree that when it comes to getting noticed for college - It doesn't matter. The NESCAC coaches are no more likely to be found on the sidelines of Nobles on a Wed afternoon then they are at Needham on a Saturday night
                              My D plays for one of the top ISL programs. I agree whole heartedly about the depth issue which is why I believe that once you beyond the top 5-10 prep schools in the state that the public schools will end up winning the game more often than not. A lot of the preps just don't place the emphasis on sports that those top 5-10 prep schools typically do never mind a tournament level public team.

As far as college coaches being at games, it depends on the game and the players in it. I've seen more than a few colleges at my D's games whenever she plays one of those top programs because they have some of the top players in the state on their rosters. Other than those games it's just the small handful of parents.

Comment

My D plays for one of the top ISL programs. I agree whole heartedly about the depth issue which is why I believe that once you beyond the top 5-10 prep schools in the state that the public schools will end up winning the game more often than not. A lot of the preps just don't place the emphasis on sports that those top 5-10 prep schools typically do never mind a tournament level public team.

As far as college coaches being at games, it depends on the game and the players in it. I've seen more than a few colleges at my D's games whenever she plays one of those top programs because they have some of the top players in the state on their rosters. Other than those games it's just the small handful of parents.
                                A little off your topic but I know the nobles coach wanted to get a game or more against a certain top public or two and I'm pretty sure Brooks scrimmages against at least one public. Probably pretty inconvenient in most cases but aren't there a few doing this.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X