Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Girls, you may not need High School??

What does everyone think about the movement at FC Stars towards encouraging its girls teams to skip playing HS in favor of a near-year-round model that involves training with the club during the fall?

Does club training replace what HS offers kids? Should it? Does this model figure to develop better players, teams or both? What will be the effect on the quality of Stars performance in ECNL and NPL? What about the happiness of the players?

So far as I know, Stars are the first club that is really testing this model on the girls side in Massachusetts. I'm interested in a discussion of the pros and cons, as this appears to be taking a step closer to the boys' DAP model, except where DAP is supported by US Soccer, this presumably involves additional training/clinic costs.

From my understanding it's not exactly being required, but it is being encouraged, and so to my way of thinking, this has the potential to leave kids wondering what the impact will be on their status with the club if they want to play in HS.

It may come down to the tone of the "encouragement" to see if girls feel they need to drop HS ball or not. The big differences vs DAP are 1) if ECNL doesn't require it so some may say "screw it I still want to play for my HS" and 2) DAP plays plenty of games in the fall. It's one thing to just train but you need game time too. If other ECNL clubs aren't participating at a rate high enough to field sufficient games is it worth it? If you've seen HS soccer you know for some teams the choice is obvious. But there are some good teams and coaches out there and the choice might not be easy.

In general people don't like being told what to do. DAP's requirement already keeps some kids from playing DAP. I don't even have a daughter and I hope ECNL doesn't move in the same direction. They should be given a choice and not be pressured by their club if the choice is allowed.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      What does everyone think about the movement at FC Stars towards encouraging its girls teams to skip playing HS in favor of a near-year-round model that involves training with the club during the fall?

Does club training replace what HS offers kids? Should it? Does this model figure to develop better players, teams or both? What will be the effect on the quality of Stars performance in ECNL and NPL? What about the happiness of the players?

So far as I know, Stars are the first club that is really testing this model on the girls side in Massachusetts. I'm interested in a discussion of the pros and cons, as this appears to be taking a step closer to the boys' DAP model, except where DAP is supported by US Soccer, this presumably involves additional training/clinic costs.

From my understanding it's not exactly being required, but it is being encouraged, and so to my way of thinking, this has the potential to leave kids wondering what the impact will be on their status with the club if they want to play in HS.
      Its all about money/revenue for Stars that is why they are pushing this along with players or should I say parents worried their kid not making their school varsity team.

Comment

I thought "Girls, you may not need high school" was going to be about getting an arranged marriage to Perspective

Comment

I thought "Girls, you may not need high school" was going to be about getting an arranged marriage to Perspective
          I thought this was the Democratic message in the last election in order to garner more entitlement recipients.

Comment

Well one thing is certain, if they want to hang on to their ISL crowd they can't be pulling the exclusive sport diva act. Most of those schools have multi sport requirements and they will never get those that are getting (wink wink) financial aid to play soccer to play exclusively for them.

Comment

I thought this was the Democratic message in the last election in order to garner more entitlement recipients.
              Don't kid yourself, the Republican entitlements are much greater. GE made $13 BILLION and paid NO taxes. At a 20% tax rate, they got a $2.6 BILLION entitlement. Just one of the many Republican entitlements.

Comment

Gee, another thread created to create and instigate controversy about Stars. This is getting to a point where Stars really ought to sue this guy.

Comment

Don't kid yourself, the Republican entitlements are much greater. GE made $13 BILLION and paid NO taxes. At a 20% tax rate, they got a $2.6 BILLION entitlement. Just one of the many Republican entitlements.
                  So they employ a ton of people here in the US and they managed to pay no payroll taxes....no state taxes? Are you really saying that?

Comment

http://dailycaller.com/2012/01/30/ge...-income-taxes/

Comment

Maybe they got some help from the head honcho?

http://www.frontpagemag.com/2013/dgr...rporate-taxes/

But isnt it now funny that the honcho is claiming fowl to a degree on this? he he he

Comment

To a liberal, what's a mere $2.5 billion error? When you think of the monumental incompetence of government the estimate that GE paid no income tax is probably pretty accurate for that world. Now where is that $2.5 large? I know I left it around here somewhere...

Comment

Uh... What makes this a 'republican' entitlement? Please provide documentation explaining what provision under the law you are referring to and how it is a republican entitlement. The year the article refers to is GEs 2010 tax bill, which was a time when a democrats controlled both branches of congress and the presidency.

Comment

another thread bites the dust

Comment

Uh... What makes this a 'republican' entitlement? Please provide documentation explaining what provision under the law you are referring to and how it is a republican entitlement. The year the article refers to is GEs 2010 tax bill, which was a time when a democrats controlled both branches of congress and the presidency.
                              Hey, quit beating down the poor libs with inconvenient truths. Didn't you hear? It's going to be like 1/2 degree warmer in Greenland by 2090. Head for the hills!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X