Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Then play HS soccer in the fall of freshman year. As I said, whatever a kid or family values most. The move to birth year isn't responsible for any "sacrificial lambs" here, since these lambs still have a choice. (I have other kids who did experience this situation, anyway: played club fall of freshman year.)
    Then what's the choice for senior year for the Sept-Dec kids? As I see it, they have no options.

Comment

Then what's the choice for senior year for the Sept-Dec kids? As I see it, they have no options.
      After their fall HS season, which some kids or families value highly, they could do spring soccer training or even run HS track. Not sure why another spring season of club soccer games is supposed to be very important for second semester HS seniors. At least those families will save some money.

Comment

After their fall HS season, which some kids or families value highly, they could do spring soccer training or even run HS track. Not sure why another spring season of club soccer games is supposed to be very important for second semester HS seniors. At least those families will save some money.
        It is only important to kids moving on to college ball - coaches want them to continue playing and training. But if they're not doing that then there is no need and there are other alternatives to stay in shape

But if a club (s) smells an opportunity they'll create some teams.

Comment

Then play HS soccer in the fall of freshman year. As I said, whatever a kid or family values most. The move to birth year isn't responsible for any "sacrificial lambs" here, since these lambs still have a choice. (I have other kids who did experience this situation, anyway: played club fall of freshman year.)
          Yes the "lamb" poster was a bit over the top. So are some others on this thread - my favorite was that this would drive kids away from playing soccer. I bet 99% will still keep playing because they still love the game

Comment

I think the question pertains to sept-dec kids who are still in 8th grade while the rest of their birth year comrades are in HS

Comment

This why I believe that if the US wants to become a powerhouse, go through your school system..

1. Hire the best coaches ( not because they are teachers at the school),
              2. Kids are already in school , so makes sense to practice/have games right after school is out
              3. Play fall and spring school soccer- play 4-5 months and take winter break, play 4-5 months and take summer break...practice 2-4 times a week and play one game a weekend vs other schools....that way social/family time and school are viewed as hugely important....beats driving over an 1 hour each way to a practice after parents get off of work...instead pick them up after practice is over at the school.

Perfect example is this Little League World Series going on right now. Kids on all these teams are pretty much from the same neighborhoods, grew up and played together since they were U-littles...
              This makes too much sense...Club coaches will hate it because of the involvement of School Board, Principal, Athletic Director, etc...I like this idea...

Comment

I think the question pertains to sept-dec kids who are still in 8th grade while the rest of their birth year comrades are in HS
                There will be plenty of kids that do not play HS ball for one reason or another. Granted the smaller clubs may have a tougher time finding enough kids but at the larger clubs it will not be an issue.

Comment

This makes too much sense...Club coaches will hate it because of the involvement of School Board, Principal, Athletic Director, etc...I like this idea...
                  Would never happen -

1) schools can't afford athletic budgets. they fight over academic dollars as it is and many barely have funds or time for PE
                  2) organized sports is seen as extracurricular, especially since it does not interest a decent portion of students
                  3) there's already enough complaints about HS soccer (some valid, some exaggerated) imagine relying on a school to develop your player if they want to be the best?
                  4) there's not enough quality coaches as it is for club soccer, let alone to move it into public schools
                  5) you can't draw the line with just soccer - it would have to be for all sports, making it impossible for just about any school budget.

Comment

Would never happen -

1) schools can't afford athletic budgets. they fight over academic dollars as it is and many barely have funds or time for PE
                    2) organized sports is seen as extracurricular, especially since it does not interest a decent portion of students
                    3) there's already enough complaints about HS soccer (some valid, some exaggerated) imagine relying on a school to develop your player if they want to be the best?
                    4) there's not enough quality coaches as it is for club soccer, let alone to move it into public schools
                    5) you can't draw the line with just soccer - it would have to be for all sports, making it impossible for just about any school budget.
                    Amazing how school budgets have increased almost 50% in the past 10 years and they still don't have any money. Makes you wonder where the money is going, no?

Comment

Amazing how school budgets have increased almost 50% in the past 10 years and they still don't have any money. Makes you wonder where the money is going, no?
                      My guess would be for updating technology - smart boards, iPads/laptops, & robotics labs aren't cheap.

Comment

Ours is eaten up by an ever increasing demand for costly special services, increased student population and teacher salaries. And I don't know where you live but ours has not increased anything like that, and we're in the top 15-20 schools in the state in a middle to moderately upperclass town.

If youre curious about where your dollars are going I recommend attending some BOE meetings. You can learn a lot and it's all there for anyone to see

Comment

Birth year switch details?

Have any clubs posted/emailed details about the impending switch to birth year? Will teams really be just allowed to stay together by having all the Jan-July kids play up with the Aug-Dec kids who will be forced to play up in the next higher birth year? What about the 8th/9th grade issue and all of senior year for the Sept-Dec kids?

Comment

Have any clubs posted/emailed details about the impending switch to birth year? Will teams really be just allowed to stay together by having all the Jan-July kids play up with the Aug-Dec kids who will be forced to play up in the next higher birth year? What about the 8th/9th grade issue and all of senior year for the Sept-Dec kids?
                            None that I've heard of but I"m wagering they are waiting for league decisions. It needs to be adopted by each league, not club by club. Having a league with a mish-mosh of different teams won't work. Look for the better ones to be early adopters with local/town adopting later. The only question mark for me is ECNL - they seem to be a proponent of it, but waiting another year would give kids entering the recruiting process more time to plan

Comment

talking-soccer

Have any clubs posted/emailed details about the impending switch to birth year? Will teams really be just allowed to stay together by having all the Jan-July kids play up with the Aug-Dec kids who will be forced to play up in the next higher birth year?
                              Yes, though I imagine the kids playing up will quickly see that it's not that fun. They'll also notice that it's quite possible to form long-lasting relationships with kids in their age-group.
                              What about the 8th/9th grade issue
                              There will be U15 teams that form in response to just this issue. Remember, it's not limited to just those months, as many kids with birthdays earlier than September have been starting school late (because everyone is Malcolm Gladwell, apparently).
                              and all of senior year for the Sept-Dec kids?
                              U19. Are we all aware that these cut-offs have been used before? It was fine.

Comment

Just had a meeting for our town travel and were told about the new guidelines. MYSA is planning to adopt things by Fall 2016, apparently. They are also voting on not allowing kids who play club to play town soccer anymore.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X