Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I know they did not. The issue here and it speaks to what DAP is about is that these kids poured their time and focus during their high school years into soccer and NU was where they ended up academically, at best. That's fine, because that might be the limit for them anyway, and if scholarship money is there, its a good deal. DAP is requiring too much focus and time on the sport at the expense of academics - the high end academic schools are going to be taking more of their players from the top non-DAP clubs, many who stay in their privates during the Fall - we know this is already true locally. Harvard has all their local guys from MPS and Blazers in recent years, and that's because its hard to get a DAP kid who can clear the academic threshold.
    Strong contender for dumbest post of the year. DAP has had players who have gone to extremely elite schools.....Williams, Amherst, Princeton, Wesleyan, etc, etc. It is often criticized for being NESCAC-centric and for folks using DAP expressly for the purpose of bolstering their chances for elite schools. As for NU, what a stupid remark. Very top-end students are getting waitlisted or denied at NU in bushels. I know this for a fact. NU is a phenomenal school that is only going to gain in prestige over the next decade. But again, are you worried for these kids doing DAP? Really???

Comment

I know they did not. The issue here and it speaks to what DAP is about is that these kids poured their time and focus during their high school years into soccer and NU was where they ended up academically, at best. That's fine, because that might be the limit for them anyway, and if scholarship money is there, its a good deal. DAP is requiring too much focus and time on the sport at the expense of academics - the high end academic schools are going to be taking more of their players from the top non-DAP clubs, many who stay in their privates during the Fall - we know this is already true locally. Harvard has all their local guys from MPS and Blazers in recent years, and that's because its hard to get a DAP kid who can clear the academic threshold.
      You know they did not? I heard yes!

Comment

It will be interesting if any will get playing time next year with 3 seniors leaving ...Bolts Freshman NE player this year, ranked in top 100, got a fair amount of time and one shot...rumor has it that with this year's good record and popularity of Boston a number of recruits from europe are visiting school..I also wait until letter of intent is signed, nothing is solid until then, NCAA elibilbity also a fun excercise....If I was to bet, 1-2 of the players may redshirt...easy excuse at NE....I am just a little uncomfortable with players paying Bolts fees for years and then getting a scholarship from NE, I think there is a latin term for that...maybe I am just too cynical
        Who says they are getting scholarships?

Comment

One thing to clarify is who's behind posting the college commitments of students who play soccer. Readers should realize it's common for the agreement the player signs with the club gives the club the right to use the player's name in this way. It would be nice if this was not part of the deal, but it is. And if the club does not announce it, usually it's the college announcing their recruiting class.

Comment

It will be interesting if any will get playing time next year with 3 seniors leaving ...Bolts Freshman NE player this year, ranked in top 100, got a fair amount of time and one shot...rumor has it that with this year's good record and popularity of Boston a number of recruits from europe are visiting school..I also wait until letter of intent is signed, nothing is solid until then, NCAA elibilbity also a fun excercise....If I was to bet, 1-2 of the players may redshirt...easy excuse at NE....I am just a little uncomfortable with players paying Bolts fees for years and then getting a scholarship from NE, I think there is a latin term for that...maybe I am just too cynical
            maybe the latin term is quid pro quo. however, it doesn't really make sense. it only makes sense for a college coach to recruit players from the club where he works if they are the best players he can recruit and the coach thinks they can succeed on the college field. if the player are less than that, the college's team is weaker than it could be, and it won't be long before losing record equals change in coach.

Comment

One thing to clarify is who's behind posting the college commitments of students who play soccer. Readers should realize it's common for the agreement the player signs with the club gives the club the right to use the player's name in this way. It would be nice if this was not part of the deal, but it is. And if the club does not announce it, usually it's the college announcing their recruiting class.
              The college is usually careful not to officially announce a verbal commit. They announce it usually in the spring after the LOI's are signed. The way most names get here is through various websites including MA clubs that post this info.

Comment

Who says they are getting scholarships?
                The problem with a commitment list is most parents look at a name and assume the player hit the jackpot. That is just not true. Soccer is an equivalency sport. Means the entire program only has 9.9 scholarships to be spread out amongst the entire roster. Most college rosters are between 25-30 players. Few player get a full ride. The average is about 25%. Here is the litmus test. Look at the list of commitments. If you look at a name and say to yourself, "yeh I could see that kid starring there", that means he is probably getting a little more of that 25%. Now if you look at a name and say to yourself, "yeh I could see that kid playing there", that means he is probably getting right around that 25%. The reality though is if you look a name and the phrase "aggressive placement" pops into your head that should tip you off that the player is probably only getting a minimal amount or no money at all. That is not necessarily an evil thing because kids make all kinds of choices when it comes to college. The harm comes when some other parent looks at the list and then says to their self, "hey my kid is better than that kid, so not only can they play there but they should be get a ton of money too". It doesn't work that way but the clubs love to feed the fantasy that it does.

Comment

maybe the latin term is quid pro quo. however, it doesn't really make sense. it only makes sense for a college coach to recruit players from the club where he works if they are the best players he can recruit and the coach thinks they can succeed on the college field. if the player are less than that, the college's team is weaker than it could be, and it won't be long before losing record equals change in coach.
                  Well it makes sense if he was asking them not to play in HS, pay and play for the bolt, because he was offering them a scholarship down the road....The bolts struggled with players this fall with two of the best playing HS instead of fall dap...We will see if these kids play in the coming years, DD played this year and you can compare how these players compare to him...It is unusual to take 4 players from one club, it gives me pause...anyother case where 4 kids from one club played on one college team in the same class?

Comment

Strong contender for dumbest post of the year. DAP has had players who have gone to extremely elite schools.....Williams, Amherst, Princeton, Wesleyan, etc, etc. It is often criticized for being NESCAC-centric and for folks using DAP expressly for the purpose of bolstering their chances for elite schools. As for NU, what a stupid remark. Very top-end students are getting waitlisted or denied at NU in bushels. I know this for a fact. NU is a phenomenal school that is only going to gain in prestige over the next decade. But again, are you worried for these kids doing DAP? Really???
                    Yeah - NU is ranked 56th in the country by US News.. its right up there! But nonetheless, I'll bet you a bag of donut holes that the GPA and SAT scores on MPS is higher than on Bolts, and way higher than on Revs. So, the dichotomy is clear. Kids who put soccer first play DAP and kids who put soccer in a balance with academics don't.

Comment

Yeah - NU is ranked 56th in the country by US News.. its right up there! But nonetheless, I'll bet you a bag of donut holes that the GPA and SAT scores on MPS is higher than on Bolts, and way higher than on Revs. So, the dichotomy is clear. Kids who put soccer first play DAP and kids who put soccer in a balance with academics don't.
                      You really are an idiot. I don't like DAP and my kid didn't play DAP, but kids play DAP who CAN play DAP. Kids (the vast majority) play MPS and other clubs because they can't play DAP. I'm guessing you haven't been through the full process yet if you are dissing NU. That ranking (which is absolutely fine) is very misleading about the direction NU is headed in. And I know very strong applicants who did not get in, including kids who have gotten in BC, Wake Forest, Colby, Richmond, Trinity, Bates, etc. NU draws a very strong application pool and recent acceptance rates have been in the low to mid 30% range (and dropping every year).

Comment

The problem with a commitment list is most parents look at a name and assume the player hit the jackpot. That is just not true. Soccer is an equivalency sport. Means the entire program only has 9.9 scholarships to be spread out amongst the entire roster. Most college rosters are between 25-30 players. Few player get a full ride. The average is about 25%. Here is the litmus test. Look at the list of commitments. If you look at a name and say to yourself, "yeh I could see that kid starring there", that means he is probably getting a little more of that 25%. Now if you look at a name and say to yourself, "yeh I could see that kid playing there", that means he is probably getting right around that 25%. The reality though is if you look a name and the phrase "aggressive placement" pops into your head that should tip you off that the player is probably only getting a minimal amount or no money at all. That is not necessarily an evil thing because kids make all kinds of choices when it comes to college. The harm comes when some other parent looks at the list and then says to their self, "hey my kid is better than that kid, so not only can they play there but they should be get a ton of money too". It doesn't work that way but the clubs love to feed the fantasy that it does.

BINGO! Excellent post. And if people are wondering what type of aid each of these players received...it's really none of your business. Athletic, merit, need-based aid, it all counts and hopefully they all have a great experience both on and off the soccer pitch.

Comment

BINGO! Excellent post. And if people are wondering what type of aid each of these players received...it's really none of your business. Athletic, merit, need-based aid, it all counts and hopefully they all have a great experience both on and off the soccer pitch.
                          It wasn't a great post, because the bit about harm is so overstated. There is no real harm. Most don't believe kids are getting full rides, and most people aren't going to decide if their kid is D1 material (for money) based just on some comparison with another kid. they are going to get feedback from others, like coaches, and they will know if any D1 coaches are pursuing them. And if they are aiming too high, they will figure that out and adjust. it's not like they still wouldn't play club, because once they get the disappointment about D1 if there really is any then they will want to play at Trinity or Wheaton or somewhere.

Comment

It wasn't a great post, because the bit about harm is so overstated. There is no real harm. Most don't believe kids are getting full rides, and most people aren't going to decide if their kid is D1 material (for money) based just on some comparison with another kid. they are going to get feedback from others, like coaches, and they will know if any D1 coaches are pursuing them. And if they are aiming too high, they will figure that out and adjust. it's not like they still wouldn't play club, because once they get the disappointment about D1 if there really is any then they will want to play at Trinity or Wheaton or somewhere.
                            OP here. The primary reason I have compiled this list for years is to help those 1-2 years younger get a feel for where kids they have played with/against are going. Accurately assessing how and where your kid might fit in (if at all) is the first crucial step to take. The scholarship amounts are well known, and BTW, 50% is not uncommon for kids playing Div1. How people use/interpret this is up to them.

Comment

OP here. The primary reason I have compiled this list for years is to help those 1-2 years younger get a feel for where kids they have played with/against are going. Accurately assessing how and where your kid might fit in (if at all) is the first crucial step to take. The scholarship amounts are well known, and BTW, 50% is not uncommon for kids playing Div1. How people use/interpret this is up to them.
                              I genuinely appreciate your efforts. It was interesting to see where other kids went who my kid played with and against. And I think it is good for parents of younger kids and those kids to see how few each year make D1 and how many really, really good players land at D3. But rising juniors and especially rising seniors should have a good idea of whether they are even in the ballpark of D1 or even D3 by means other than your threads. And your lists do not tend to pick up destinations of kids outside of DAP and the top non-DAP clubs or non-ISL type kids. Someone did do a rather exhaustive list a couple of years ago, after the fact, that was quite informative, showing where a wide range of kids went and who was actually on rosters and playing.

Comment

Absolutely a rubbish statement that is clearly intended to sell that next generation the fantasys. The other poster was spot on. The numbers are the numbers. 9.9 is 9.9. That is the maximum a program can give. When do your research you will learn that every program is not fully funded so many don't even have the money to give. By the way, included in that 9.9 number is any academic money a player might get. That money counts against the total. The only thing that doesn't count is financial aid. A lot of parents like to give you % number when talk about their child's soccer success but few will actually tell you how much was related to their academic prowess. While it does pay that family's tuition bill (which is a good thing) no one but that family has any way of drawing any sort of accurate conclusion from the commitment posting. For all anyone knows the 50% is 90% merit money and only 10% athletic money and while your kid may be comparable on a soccer field you have no way of knowing if they are even in the same realm academically.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X