•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The clique factor

Is team chemistry even a thing?
    https://www.socceramerica.com/public...-it-up-to.html

So easy and obvious to split up cliques and use new groupings for team bonding. Not sure mist coaches can be bothered.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So easy and obvious to split up cliques and use new groupings for team bonding. Not sure mist coaches can be bothered.
      There is absolutely something to it and kids will be driven away if its pervasive enough. I am sure there will be the haters out there that will say the kids need to toughen up. My kid is 9..and she is tough as nails on the field, but when she is at practice or at warm-ups or even after a game she wants to like the girls she is with and be part of something.

Club she was at previously was not town based, but there were groups of girls from various towns and she was the only one from her town and exactly what was described in the article happened. Coach never bothered to address it, think he actually made it worse by always pairing the same girls together.

Funny thing is now she is on a primarily town-based team which allows outside kids in where she has been accepted as if she is from the same town, meanwhile she lives 30 mins away. Come to find out...once the coach figures out if you can play on the team, rest of the practices are to find out if you can gel with the team -- if the girls don't get along / accept each other -- they are not on the team. Of course, there are so many other factors to long-term success, but right now my 9 year old is learning and developing and loving all of the girls she is playing with...

Comment

Yes chemistry is a thing and it can be a difference maker, good and bad. But it can get more toxic with girls than boys. Boys seem to be better able to shrug stuff off and focus on the task at hand. Once you hit the middle school years girls get some bad ju ju and it will be a rough season. Most coaches either don't care or don't know how to deal with it.

Comment

Split up the cliques from the moment practice starts to the very end and you are 90 percent there. Throw in some simple team building games and you will get big return for little effort.

Comment

Then why BC w's are so "clicky"

Comment

Split up the cliques from the moment practice starts to the very end and you are 90 percent there. Throw in some simple team building games and you will get big return for little effort.
              Exactly, but most coaches can't be bothered with such a small, simple thing.

Comment

Then why BC w's are so "clicky"
                It is the locals/townies vs the others. See it with other teams too. Kind of pathetic. And not warranted.

Comment

My D moved to a team with a several girls that had been together for years and who are all local, where she is not. Examples of the clique...They yell at her about mistakes but don't yell at the other teammates they have played with for years when they make mistakes. Before you jump to conclusions that my D sux, she's a starter on the team, if not a top 6 player. A couple of the girls are also really close and pair up a lot. They can be Catty and have directed some of this off the field Cattiness towards my D. That said my D is tough and laughs most of it off and hangs with the kids on the team that treat her well, of which there are quite a few.

Comment

It is the locals/townies vs the others. See it with other teams too. Kind of pathetic. And not warranted.
                    My son could care less on the soccer field about the social aspect of being the odd man out but the issue years ago when he played town was him and other kids being wide open but not getting a pass because the ball carrier would only pass to his friends. And I'm talking that happening into U13. That never really happened on his club teams as the coaching was of good enough quality to take a kid to task if someone was open and the ball carrier didn't play to him. When the cliques get to that level its no longer soccer and its time to find another team or another coach.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                      My son could care less on the soccer field about the social aspect of being the odd man out but the issue years ago when he played town was him and other kids being wide open but not getting a pass because the ball carrier would only pass to his friends. And I'm talking that happening into U13. That never really happened on his club teams as the coaching was of good enough quality to take a kid to task if someone was open and the ball carrier didn't play to him. When the cliques get to that level its no longer soccer and its time to find another team or another coach.
                      This happened in town all the time, and the girls are 50 times worse. It results in resilient kids, but that is about all you can say.

Comment

There is a fair amount of jealousy on the girl's side. Top level players are affected, and cliques are used to shut those players stats down. It's presented through negative communication, selective passing, talking behind the player's back and can get physical. It's a form of bullying that destroys a team from the inside. Too many male coaches in club. More women coaches are needed.

This happened in town all the time, and the girls are 50 times worse. It results in resilient kids, but that is about all you can say.

Comment

It can also result in kids dropping out. One of my kids who refs had a U11 travel game last weekend where one girl was making nasty comments to all her teammates, but really honed in on one girl and didn't let up. This girls wasn't even the best player either, just had an attitude. The victim eventually left the field crying and didn't come back. Coach said nothing. My son was appalled, which doesn't happen easily with boys. If that girl is getting away with that behavior at 10 years old, imagine what she'll be like at 13?

Comment

There is a fair amount of jealousy on the girl's side. Top level players are affected, and cliques are used to shut those players stats down. It's presented through negative communication, selective passing, talking behind the player's back and can get physical. It's a form of bullying that destroys a team from the inside. Too many male coaches in club. More women coaches are needed.

Why would women coaches be the solution here? Any gender can shut that BS down by demanding they be good humans first.

Comment

It can also result in kids dropping out. One of my kids who refs had a U11 travel game last weekend where one girl was making nasty comments to all her teammates, but really honed in on one girl and didn't let up. This girls wasn't even the best player either, just had an attitude. The victim eventually left the field crying and didn't come back. Coach said nothing. My son was appalled, which doesn't happen easily with boys. If that girl is getting away with that behavior at 10 years old, imagine what she'll be like at 13?
                              Probably coach's relative or neighbor.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X