Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Bingo! Recruited my daughter heavily but could only talk about all the DA and ecnl studs he had coming in to play for him.. LOL. She went D-1 and is still laughing about him spending so much time on players over what he could think to recruit.
    Just because a kid plays ECNL or DA does NOT mean she is a D1 caliber player. Check the roster D2 and D3 programs. Plenty of those girls came from ECNL or DA. Also some girls would rather play a lower division than commit to the time requirements that the D1 schools require. Also in some instances they can get a better education as well.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
      where do you think coaches, at a school in any division, get players from? Would you expect them not to attend these events?

I don't know this adam gill guy from a hole in the wall but any successful coach at a d3 program will attend national events. Look at the best d3 soccer teams in the country. Schools like washu, chicago, williams, etc. The rosters of those schools are filled the ecnl (and soon to be da) players. Those schools recruit those kids and they get them. Having said that, i looked at the academic profile of this huntingdon college that gill is at and it doesn't appear to be in the same class as a lot of good d3 schools. My point is, that the top programs do recruit at national events and are successful in getting good players. The parents of players at many middling mid-major d1 programs would never admit it, but a good number of those top d3 programs would take some of those d1 teams to the woodshed.
      ^^^^ this right here is spot on ^^^^^

Comment

Just because a kid plays ECNL or DA does NOT mean she is a D1 caliber player. Check the roster D2 and D3 programs. Plenty of those girls came from ECNL or DA. Also some girls would rather play a lower division than commit to the time requirements that the D1 schools require. Also in some instances they can get a better education as well.
        You need to be careful though as many of the great D-3 schools will still have a significant cost even after all the merit scholarships have been awarded. Went down the recruiting road a bit with a couple of the strong academic schools and was looking at $13K - $35K in tuition when all was said and done. My kid received her award package from one school for $52K and I was "only" responsible for $32K. Still waiting on the CSS to come back but not sure what they're thinking by calling their costs reasonable.

Comment

You need to be careful though as many of the great D-3 schools will still have a significant cost even after all the merit scholarships have been awarded. Went down the recruiting road a bit with a couple of the strong academic schools and was looking at $13K - $35K in tuition when all was said and done. My kid received her award package from one school for $52K and I was "only" responsible for $32K. Still waiting on the CSS to come back but not sure what they're thinking by calling their costs reasonable.
          Good point! One person's idea of what is "reasonable" might be drastically different than another person's idea of what' is considered "reasonable". $32k for my responsibility is NOT reasonable to me either.

On another note...I wish Florida had more public college D2 options. West Florida is a nice option for soccer and academics for some. However living in Pensacola isn't for everyone. More options would be nice.

Comment

Your point is well taken and is a good one. I don't believe that you meant to sleight ECNL or DA players that play D3 but some may interpret your first few sentences that way. I believe you insinuated this, but just to emphasize, there are plenty of players that do play D3 that are D1 caliber players. Some of those happened to be ECNL or DA players. Conversely, there are more than a few players at the D1 level that wished they weren't at the D1 level and some of those players are on teams with coaches that wish they hadn't recruited them. Some are definitely good enough for that level but still wish that they weren't. It's one if the reasons that the attrition rate of collegiate soccer players is so high

Comment

^ 100% accurate. Also, playing soccer in college isn't nearly as glorious as many think it is going to be. Another reason so many quit.

Comment

Your point is well taken and is a good one. I don't believe that you meant to sleight ECNL or DA players that play D3 but some may interpret your first few sentences that way. I believe you insinuated this, but just to emphasize, there are plenty of players that do play D3 that are D1 caliber players. Some of those happened to be ECNL or DA players. Conversely, there are more than a few players at the D1 level that wished they weren't at the D1 level and some of those players are on teams with coaches that wish they hadn't recruited them. Some are definitely good enough for that level but still wish that they weren't. It's one if the reasons that the attrition rate of collegiate soccer players is so high
                Is the attrition rate for soccer players any higher then the regular student population at that college? Probably not.

Comment

Is the attrition rate for soccer players any higher then the regular student population at that college? Probably not.
                  Attrition rate meaning those that quit playing soccer and not those leaving the school entirely. The two variables are independent of each other.

This does bring up a point, though. I have two kids that are collegiate athletes now. A girl that plays soccer and a boy that plays basketball. I have a third , a girl, that is a sophomore in high school and wants to play soccer in college. The point that I have made to all of them is that the school they choose is the school that they want to be at regardless of if they play a sport or not. I emphasized that if they were to get injured and couldn't play any longer, if they quit due to loss of interest or whatever, the school they are attending should be the school they want to stay at. Don't pick a school based solely on a sport. Playing sports may open doors to certain schools that were not previously considered but shouldn't be the sole determinant of choosing a school.

Comment

Attrition rate meaning those that quit playing soccer and not those leaving the school entirely. The two variables are independent of each other.

This does bring up a point, though. I have two kids that are collegiate athletes now. A girl that plays soccer and a boy that plays basketball. I have a third , a girl, that is a sophomore in high school and wants to play soccer in college. The point that I have made to all of them is that the school they choose is the school that they want to be at regardless of if they play a sport or not. I emphasized that if they were to get injured and couldn't play any longer, if they quit due to loss of interest or whatever, the school they are attending should be the school they want to stay at. Don't pick a school based solely on a sport. Playing sports may open doors to certain schools that were not previously considered but shouldn't be the sole determinant of choosing a school.
                    Great post with solid advice.

Comment

Good point! One person's idea of what is "reasonable" might be drastically different than another person's idea of what' is considered "reasonable". $32k for my responsibility is NOT reasonable to me either.

On another note...I wish Florida had more public college D2 options. West Florida is a nice option for soccer and academics for some. However living in Pensacola isn't for everyone. More options would be nice.
                      What’s wrong with Pensacola?

Comment

What’s wrong with Pensacola?

Really hard to find a good deep dish pizza.

Comment

That is a good question. I know a girls who quit and 3-4 more ego are going to transfer out. Wow- amazed I found this site just searching him- what a jerk to young girls!
                          Hope he has a great time recruiting at the orange classic. Watch out girls don’t let him sucker you in. Be careful he is a good car salesman.

Comment

Hope he has a great time recruiting at the orange classic. Watch out girls don’t let him sucker you in. Be careful he is a good car salesman.
                            Florida clubs and tournaments are prime recruiting ground for Alabama college coaches.

Comment

Good one

Comment

Not sure what this is

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X