Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I was only pointing it out to the previous poster who was bashing club for just accepting checks. I didn't say it was unusual.

He cut at the end of the season. Wouldn't require a refund.

Again, I am not looking for sainthood for the coach...just pointing out that there are good experiences out there. I truly believe that this club and coach have made my kid a better player...that's all I'm saying.
    Club soccer IS about cashing checks. Im not bashing. Im telling the truth. if you want to point to some anonymous outlier, that fine, but does not change my original point. Nowhere is ability the priority. So call elite soccer is full on non elite kids paying for the privilege to call themselves otherwise.

Comment

Club soccer IS about cashing checks. Im not bashing. Im telling the truth. if you want to point to some anonymous outlier, that fine, but does not change my original point. Nowhere is ability the priority. So call elite soccer is full on non elite kids paying for the privilege to call themselves otherwise.
      So if some travel level kid shows up from a League1 team,and says “put me on your ECNL team, I can pay” they will do that?

I’ll answer. No, they won’t, because kid is not good enough for ECNL (or DA or NPL). They were on League 1 team for a reason... because they are a weak player. So that is what is meant by “determined by ability” not by “ability to pay”. Now of course, what we do have, is more and more bottom feeder teams that are strictly there to take warm bodies with desire and ability to pay.

Comment

You are forcing the issue that all club is bad. I am simply disagreeing based on experience.

I think there are a lot of NEP teams that are filled with kids that are only focused on getting more experience so they can do better in high school. So what? If that is what they want then why do you feel obligated to be upset at the club environment?

There's also a higher level of play (ECNL, NPL) that provide an avenue to college.

Then there is an even higher level for kids that want to play beyond college (DA).

If none of these levels work for you then don't participate in club soccer...it's that simple. But don't bash the club environment just because it isn't a fit for you...it works for some kids and if the parents are willing to pay then let it be.

Comment

its not correct. Clubs are in the business of CASHING CHECKS. Nothing here is based on ability to PLAY just ability to PAY. The joke is that attitude is NOT an impediment to playing college soccer somewhere because most of the Colleges are not in a position to be ultra selective. They need to fill roster spots. I know several kids playing soccer at colleges who have done the bare minimum.

Clubs dont care . its still another check.
          I won't try to debate your experience. I can only share that my experience with daughters at multiple clubs over 10 years has been very different. When player was at NEP-Level, I could see what might be called check cashing behavior, but that could also be spun as clubs being more inclusive. When playing at NPL and ECNL level, I have seen nothing like what you describe above.

Comment

So if some travel level kid shows up from a League1 team,and says “put me on your ECNL team, I can pay” they will do that?

I’ll answer. No, they won’t, because kid is not good enough for ECNL (or DA or NPL). They were on League 1 team for a reason... because they are a weak player. So that is what is meant by “determined by ability” not by “ability to pay”. Now of course, what we do have, is more and more bottom feeder teams that are strictly there to take warm bodies with desire and ability to pay.
            All the kids below ECNL and DA should probably just leave soccer and find a new sport or hobby. Why bother playing ? After all, they are really just bottom feeders and warm bodies. Only your kid and a few of their friends should play. Soccer will then thrive in this country. Less coaches and clubs will be needed. Less leagues will be needed. Less revenue will be generated.

Comment

The question you should ask is are they constantly trying to INCREASE the level and the answer is NO.

Comment

and the vast majority of ECNL. GDA and NPL are also weak players. its degrees of weak.

Comment

You are forcing the issue that all club is bad. I am simply disagreeing based on experience.

I think there are a lot of NEP teams that are filled with kids that are only focused on getting more experience so they can do better in high school. So what? If that is what they want then why do you feel obligated to be upset at the club environment?

There's also a higher level of play (ECNL, NPL) that provide an avenue to college.

Then there is an even higher level for kids that want to play beyond college (DA).

If none of these levels work for you then don't participate in club soccer...it's that simple. But don't bash the club environment just because it isn't a fit for you...it works for some kids and if the parents are willing to pay then let it be.
                  nope i said its prime focus is cashing checks. And if you think these are "higher" levels you are delusional. You keep babbling on about it NOT working out. The two things are not correlated. It can be a still be bad system and still have some talented kids in it.

Comment

All the kids below ECNL and DA should probably just leave soccer and find a new sport or hobby. Why bother playing ? After all, they are really just bottom feeders and warm bodies. Only your kid and a few of their friends should play. Soccer will then thrive in this country. Less coaches and clubs will be needed. Less leagues will be needed. Less revenue will be generated.
                    it should include everyone BUT it needs to be priced accordingly and the pyramid should have much wider base. because its all driven by $$$ the clubs do not want that. they want to convince parents that spending more $$ on mediocre kids and travelling around the country will make them desirable to Colleges. Guess what .. it wont.

you totally miss the point. It may well be fun for you and all, but its NOT about improving players or talent.

Why do coaches often stay with the same team ?

Comment

nope i said its prime focus is cashing checks. And if you think these are "higher" levels you are delusional. You keep babbling on about it NOT working out. The two things are not correlated. It can be a still be bad system and still have some talented kids in it.
                      OK...I'll bite...you're a d**khead. I never said that it was "higher' in a sense that it is comparable with a London-based academy...just higher in comparison to the lower levels.

If your kid let you down so bad and you paid money to a club then go see a therapist and try and move past it.

Comment

Going forward, it will be interesting to see what opportunities kids on NPL in clubs with DA or ECNL have.

Comment

Going forward, it will be interesting to see what opportunities kids on NPL in clubs with DA or ECNL have.
                          Most NPL kids who wish to play in college, will. Right next to many ECNL/DA players.

Comment

No response more appropriate than this right now
                            https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cQ_dL_IMPP4

He's and Angry Elf

look at you

Comment

Most NPL kids who wish to play in college, will. Right next to many ECNL/DA players.
                              And right next to kids who skipped club entirely and just played varsity HS soccer.

Comment

And right next to kids who skipped club entirely and just played varsity HS soccer.
                                I think that's true depending on the colleges you are looking at but the colleges I am looking at the roster reads like this:
                                ECNL
                                ECNL
                                ECNL
                                ECNL
                                etc.

With a couple Philips Andover kids thrown in.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X