Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    That’s why the clowns who were taking pot shots at that kid were out of their minds, it’s tough to dislodge a proven player on one of those top end programs.
    NEWSFLASH - they were not taking a shot at her. They were taking shots at the clowns who suggested she should be getting more than she was or that she was doing far more than she was.

Comment

Sitting in the bench sux. If you’ve never had a kid gone through the experience you are lucky. Awefully tough to turn down a 80% deal and a real good shot at instant playing time from BC when you are looking at only a 50% deal from a loaded program like Duke if you are a competitive kid. A good recruiter can sell it.
      You make it sound like competitive kids care about the dollar offer. Stop. Awfully tough FOR PARENTS to turn down the $$. Then they come to TS to justify it.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2394869]Crappy argument because most of the big southern schools don’t even have men’s soccer...at all.[/QUOTE

The usual BC whine is those NC and VA schools have the better weather and therefore the better teams. Plenty of great Men's soccer programs there, none of which made the college cup.

Comment

You make it sound like competitive kids care about the dollar offer. Stop. Awfully tough FOR PARENTS to turn down the $$. Then they come to TS to justify it.
          You let your 15 yo kid make $300k decisions? At that stage my kids couldn’t seem to keep their debit cards from bouncing, no way they make that call in my household.

Comment

A.F. was not a good recruiter. Half the starting line up for Syracuse are local kids. You also have 4 local kids on the Duke squad. You just can’t lose that sort of local talent if you want to be competitive. Then you still need to go out and grab a few National studs if you really want to be good.
            Hahaha...Syracuse. What is/was their record for the past 4-5 years? They weren't good enough for BC. And are you really choosing BC over Duke? Have another drink.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
              Hahaha...Syracuse. What is/was their record for the past 4-5 years? They weren't good enough for BC. And are you really choosing BC over Duke? Have another drink.
              A lot of local kids would pick BC over Duke. Most kids stick close to home for college. Duke is a plane ride.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                A lot of local kids would pick BC over Duke. Most kids stick close to home for college. Duke is a plane ride.
                I would agree with this except for the transfers. I think kids think they want to be close to home and then realize after the first year they don’t need to be.

Comment

I would agree with this except for the transfers. I think kids think they want to be close to home and then realize after the first year they don’t need to be.
                  Agreed. The first two years flush out a lot. The amount of transfers at many programs occur during this time. My niece plays here in the NE, but I know her parents would much rather she transfer to one of the colleges closer to them that have expressed continued interest.

Comment

You let your 15 yo kid make $300k decisions? At that stage my kids couldn’t seem to keep their debit cards from bouncing, no way they make that call in my household.
                    you assume its a 300k decision. if you were right, then kids should go where ever the money is irrespective of school. Dont think that makes much sense.

Comment

you assume its a 300k decision. if you were right, then kids should go where ever the money is irrespective of school. Dont think that makes much sense.
                      I agree. My kids got athletic scholarships but we didn’t count on that so we saved in their college accounts as if they wouldn’t get any scholarships. They choose the school based on academics, soccer, location, and scholarship money. It was a combination of factors. Any leftover college money will go towards grad school. I realize that not every family is able to save as much money and that athletic scholarship money is very hard to turn down. I just think that there are more parents out there than most think who understand that athletic money is not a given so they planned to pay for college and hoped to get a scholarship to help

Comment

Agreed. The first two years flush out a lot. The amount of transfers at many programs occur during this time. My niece plays here in the NE, but I know her parents would much rather she transfer to one of the colleges closer to them that have expressed continued interest.
                        Now is the time.

Comment

I agree. My kids got athletic scholarships but we didn’t count on that so we saved in their college accounts as if they wouldn’t get any scholarships. They choose the school based on academics, soccer, location, and scholarship money. It was a combination of factors. Any leftover college money will go towards grad school. I realize that not every family is able to save as much money and that athletic scholarship money is very hard to turn down. I just think that there are more parents out there than most think who understand that athletic money is not a given so they planned to pay for college and hoped to get a scholarship to help
                          The truth is that despite all the hype around athletic scholarships, there really aren't many scholarships for soccer and the ones that do exist are mostly partial scholarships. Soccer isn't a big alumni/endorsement draw like football or basketball so you can count the kids with full scholarships on any roster on one hand. Probably 2 or 3 fingers when you get into the lower end of D1 or D2.

Comment

The player exodus from BC begins...Coffey to Penn State
                            https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...-to-penn-state

Comment

The player exodus from BC begins...Coffey to Penn State
                              https://www.bcinterruption.com/bosto...-to-penn-state
                              Not to be harsh, but good riddance. If she's transferring, she shouldn't have gone to BC (because she didn't like the school) in the first place or her priorities are out of whack (college is more about soccer than an education).

I'll make the assumption that she could handle the academics....

Comment

Not to be harsh, but good riddance. If she's transferring, she shouldn't have gone to BC (because she didn't like the school) in the first place or her priorities are out of whack (college is more about soccer than an education).

I'll make the assumption that she could handle the academics....
                                She is transferring to Penn State, not UMass. Last I checked PSU was a very good school as well. I think this has to do with uncertainty over the next coach more than anything else.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X