Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    If it was only that more would give it up. To many it is a substantial sacrifice. Is it worth giving up for mediocre coaching, competition and commitments?
    And trying to be a leader and bring your team to a late-season game because of what you did on and off the field .... yeah, i'd say it is worth it. As opposed to being player #6, 7 .... 16 and just being on a team to be filler for the top 3 players.

Comment

Is it mediocre soccer at best? Or is that just the case at your kid's school?

Do you actually know why kids choose to play high school soccer?
      I'd bet that JM thinks playing HS and being an all-american and the POTY pretty much trumps anything that OW, FSA, CFC, GDA, or ECNL could have provided for her.

Comment

My kids never regretted playing HS (boy and a girl) and taking a pass on DA. Our HS teams are decent, do ok in states but haven't won a title in a long time just a few conference titles. Soccer wise in terms of learning and competition of course club is better. But HS is simply a very different experience for different reasons. Playing with classmates and kids you've know forever, fans at games (not huge numbers but at club games there isn't even one parent per player), team captain, name in the paper often, senior night. All of it.

We let them decide what path they wanted and I think both chose wisely for them. If doesn't work for everyone obviously. But I agree if HS was so bad there wouldn't be all this angst and debate over it. Kids would just do it. There's also no one path to college soccer either, each path having its own pros and cons.

Comment

I'd bet that JM thinks playing HS and being an all-american and the POTY pretty much trumps anything that OW, FSA, CFC, GDA, or ECNL could have provided for her.
          Your theory has a hole in it. See, she could have had all that and still played ecnl.

Comment

Exactly -- it's up to the kid. Ours made the same decision, and even got a state title out of it. Hoisting the prize in front of half her school that came out to watch is something she'll remember for a long time. And given how things have worked out with her club and college situation, I don't think OW would have been any better for her in any event.

Comment

Not at all what happens with my kids whatsoever. The majority of their closer friends and time are from town. They have a few teammates they are close with but don't really socialize with them outside of the soccer setting, just chat a lot or hang when there's soccer. Part of that is driven by geography (kids are from all over) but also my kids have many other interests outside of soccer.

Of course each kid is different, as is their school program etc. But if HS was so awful for soccer and the experiences, DA would be beating people away with sticks. They're not. They're taking whoever is willing to give up HS not necessarily who is the best, and can write a check (top clubs or MLS excepted).

drop all the quotes - it's very annoying and serves no purpose
              "will do". The fact of the matter is that kids don't switch clubs altogether that much at the older ages. They've been with the club or same kids for awhile so they don't want to. Girls especially. And you have to wait for DA to make it through the kids who've already started playing HS before it can really be evaluated. I know that's a hard concept for people to understand, but it's true. "Got it?"

Comment

And your claim is that high school soccer doesn't get you to the next level?

Should I tell that to the four seniors from our school, who never played for CFC, OW or FSA, that those colleges they will be attending next fall and playing soccer for, is merely some illusion on their part?
                I'd agree that you don't need to be at the top three to play in college, but surely those kids aren't going to be playing at a school that's worth a damn soccerwise if they haven't. So I guess what I'm asking is for you to prove what you are saying. What girls (initials are fine) and what schools are they going to be playing at? And let's see if they actually make the team and play.

Comment

Your theory has a hole in it. See, she could have had all that and still played ecnl.
                  But she isn't a soccer, 'john' that had to pay for it all. She got everything she needed from her school and club for free.

Comment

"will do". The fact of the matter is that kids don't switch clubs altogether that much at the older ages. They've been with the club or same kids for awhile so they don't want to. Girls especially. And you have to wait for DA to make it through the kids who've already started playing HS before it can really be evaluated. I know that's a hard concept for people to understand, but it's true. "Got it?"
                    BDA has been at it for over ten years, HS ban in place for at least 7 years, so there's that

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X