Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Clearly you are on the team...or the one that left for WC. You are too passionate and frustrated to be from a "higher level club". If you are so frustrated, find a better situation for your daughter. It is not worth it to feel this way. Life is too short. You can also talk to SB. Have you tried?
    I have already spent my money and I have tried to talk to SB and MC and got nowhere. I'm disappointed with the way things have been handled. The girls are not being taught soccer the right way. SB coaches to win NOT develop. I hope the HS break will give these girls a different take on the game by a different coach and upper classmen that come from better teams (TBU/WFF) that hopefully understands the correct way to play the beautiful game. The bad part is that when these girls come back, SB will undo what they have learned just to keep the USA unbeaten record intact. Then still use the stopper/sweeper in the play-in round of state cup, which the girls should advance to the next round only to be beaten by the more developed teams that understand the proper way to play. These teams will slice through the stopper/sweeper defense. A good example was the first Disney game, if you remember.

Comment

First of all, as was said before, proper skill and tactics can be taught regardless of the formation you prefer to employ. Secondly, I get the idea of looking at things developmentally in youth soccer but, aren't we talking about U17s?

Comment

SB coaches to win NOT develop

First of all, as was said before, proper skill and tactics can be taught regardless of the formation you prefer to employ. Secondly, I get the idea of looking at things developmentally in youth soccer but, aren't we talking about U17s?
        The TACTICS of a stopper/sweeper does not translate to any other zonal system of play. How many time have you heard form the kids that they don't know how to play a different formation. I'm assuming your kid, the stopper or sweeper, is playing HS. Watch how they play a flat four, which most HS teams do. The stopper will play to high and the sweeper will play to deep, stretching the defense in the wrong areas, allowing huge passing lanes and will allow a smart attacker to get in behind the player playing to high. Stopper/sweeper does not work with advanced skilled attacker/coaches.

Again, SB coaches to win against weaker teams NOT develop.

Comment

The TACTICS of a stopper/sweeper does not translate to any other zonal system of play. How many time have you heard form the kids that they don't know how to play a different formation. I'm assuming your kid, the stopper or sweeper, is playing HS. Watch how they play a flat four, which most HS teams do. The stopper will play to high and the sweeper will play to deep, stretching the defense in the wrong areas, allowing huge passing lanes and will allow a smart attacker to get in behind the player playing to high. Stopper/sweeper does not work with advanced skilled attacker/coaches.

You hear from kids all the time that they don't know how to play other formations but I also hear all the time that they don't know how to play other positions. That's a comfort level issue. Not sure what that has to do with one specific coach.
          You just described players playing their positions improperly. That is not the fault of the formation. That is the fault of the players not maintaining proper spacing.
          I'm not speaking from a perspective that has anything to do with where my kid plays. I am speaking as a coach who has used a wide variety of formations, at a variety of age groups(both genders) and I change formations to suit the strengths or weaknesses of my personnel. Now, you must coach your players to properly play your chosen formation. If you feel they aren't playing it properly and that needs to be fixed then ok but quality soccer can be played using any formation.

Comment

rangers are the new celtic

You hear from kids all the time that they don't know how to play other formations but I also hear all the time that they don't know how to play other positions. That's a comfort level issue. Not sure what that has to do with one specific coach.
            You just described players playing their positions improperly. That is not the fault of the formation. That is the fault of the players not maintaining proper spacing.
            I'm not speaking from a perspective that has anything to do with where my kid plays. I am speaking as a coach who has used a wide variety of formations, at a variety of age groups(both genders) and I change formations to suit the strengths or weaknesses of my personnel. Now, you must coach your players to properly play your chosen formation. If you feel they aren't playing it properly and that needs to be fixed then ok but quality soccer can be played using any formation.
            This is not really a formation issue. The issue I have is the coach, LIKE YOU, are not teaching the game properly. You are coaching to win, playing a formation to suit the strengths or weaknesses of your personnel, not teaching the kids the correct way to, as a team, PRESSURE, COVER, BALANCE, and have MOBILITY...You are teach individuals to play like individuals. The entire team needs to work as a unit. So teaching the sweeper to sit back and only defend when the stopper or outside back makes a mistake. This is truly not how to teach the game. That's way I guess the fees are so low at the rangers, it because MC has uneducated coaches (DADDY COACHES) teaching these kids.

Again, rangers are the new celtic

Comment

This is not really a formation issue. The issue I have is the coach, LIKE YOU, are not teaching the game properly. You are coaching to win, playing a formation to suit the strengths or weaknesses of your personnel, not teaching the kids the correct way to, as a team, PRESSURE, COVER, BALANCE, and have MOBILITY...You are teach individuals to play like individuals. The entire team needs to work as a unit. So teaching the sweeper to sit back and only defend when the stopper or outside back makes a mistake. This is truly not how to teach the game. That's way I guess the fees are so low at the rangers, it because MC has uneducated coaches (DADDY COACHES) teaching these kids.

You're not making any sense. The person you just replied to was basically saying that proper soccer needs to be taught. And THEN the kids can fit into any formation (because they know defensive principles). I agree with that coach. You teach the proper way to defend. But at the end of the day, you have to line the kids up in a formation that works for the team. And whether its a 4-4-2 or a stopper/sweeper 5-mids and 2 forwards,......the kids can then fit into it and know how to play.
              I personally stay away from S/W. But if you teach proper defensive principles, you can sometimes use it to your advantage; ie: shutting down a fast forward.

BTW, "mobility" is not a defensive principle or attribute. Its offensive.

Comment

Clearly you have no idea how to coach a variety of formations and based on what you keep writing you have no idea how a sweeper is properly used either. So, I asked this before, if we're not playing formations to suit our personnel then what formation is the magic one? Or should I just choose what's cool now and do some real coaching? I'm guessing you're a fan of the 4-2-3-1.

Comment

If at anytime you would have played the game you would realize that most of the playing styles in HS soccer are determined by the ridiculously small playing area a football field allows you to play on .

Comment

You're not making any sense. The person you just replied to was basically saying that proper soccer needs to be taught. And THEN the kids can fit into any formation (because they know defensive principles). I agree with that coach. You teach the proper way to defend. But at the end of the day, you have to line the kids up in a formation that works for the team. And whether its a 4-4-2 or a stopper/sweeper 5-mids and 2 forwards,......the kids can then fit into it and know how to play.
                    I personally stay away from S/W. But if you teach proper defensive principles, you can sometimes use it to your advantage; ie: shutting down a fast forward.

BTW, "mobility" is not a defensive principle or attribute. Its offensive.
                    You correct that mobility is an offensive attribute, but it is a defensive one too. Its a transitional attribute that has to be taught for both principles.

Comment

You correct that mobility is an offensive attribute, but it is a defensive one too. Its a transitional attribute that has to be taught for both principles.
                      incorrect. Please explain how being mobile (which identifies as being able to get to spaces AWAY from the ball) would be a defensive principle?
                      In transition to offense, you want players to be mobile and get into spaces with runs.
                      In transition to defense, you want players to cover spaces behind the ball: cover (depth), compact, etc.

I won't explain in depth since all it takes is a google search.

Comment

Clearly you have no idea how to coach a variety of formations and based on what you keep writing you have no idea how a sweeper is properly used either. So, I asked this before, if we're not playing formations to suit our personnel then what formation is the magic one? Or should I just choose what's cool now and do some real coaching? I'm guessing you're a fan of the 4-2-3-1.
                        Please tell us which formation is the correct one. Or is a sweeper formation the only bad one?

Comment

U14 girls lose another starter to a knee injury. This time it's one of their center backs. This is the 5th knee injury suffered by this group, 4 are starters. A real shame for any team but they really seemed to be headed in the right direction.

Comment

U14 girls lose another starter to a knee injury. This time it's one of their center backs. This is the 5th knee injury suffered by this group, 4 are starters. A real shame for any team but they really seemed to be headed in the right direction.
                            Six weeks to recover before FSPL starts back up, unless it's an ACL.

Comment

Six weeks to recover before FSPL starts back up, unless it's an ACL.
                              That's what they're afraid of. I guess the doc said MRI was not conclusive so they're gonna scope, expecting ACL, and fix whatever it is. Fingers crossed. They can't afford to lose her and it would suck for her.

Comment

That's what they're afraid of. I guess the doc said MRI was not conclusive so they're gonna scope, expecting ACL, and fix whatever it is. Fingers crossed. They can't afford to lose her and it would suck for her.
                                Thanks Mom...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X