X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Injuries have skyrocketed

http://www.storelli.com/intrepido/yo...ed-cnn-report/

Reasoning: Too much time spend on being an athlete instead of being a soccer player...

Thanks for sharing. Did we read same report?

What I read: Soccer participation is way up, and therefore so too are soccer related injuries
    Concussions have lower incident rate than I expected, but a much higher rate than it used to be - most likely due to greater awareness. Rest, and playing other sports is critical

Comment

That is a horrible title for an article, and completely made up reasoning in original post. I have taken 300% more dumps this week than I did over the weekend. It doesn't mean that **** levels are skyrocketing, Randy.

Comment

Am I missing something? Participation is up 190% and injuries are up 111%?

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
          Am I missing something? Participation is up 190% and injuries are up 111%?
          No it's a cr** article. More kids playing =more total injuries. Duh. What matters is an injury rate per 1000 or 10000 kids playing and whether or not that rate has changed over time.

Comment

Reasoning: Too much time spend on being an athlete instead of being a soccer player...
            Some doctors should just be doctors and not writers.

Comment

That is a horrible title for an article, and completely made up reasoning in original post. I have taken 300% more dumps this week than I did over the weekend. It doesn't mean that **** levels are skyrocketing, Randy.

Actually, if you are taking 300% more dumps this week then it might be an issue. Assuming that you take 2 per day, then for Sat and Sund you should take four. For M-F you should take 10. 300% would be 12. You levels may not be skyrocketing but they are elevated during the week.

Comment

It is not wrong to be concerned over injuries, however, the sky is not falling. The article, which is a poorly written article, does say that reports may underestimate the total. It might even be an agenda driven article as it seems to have a bit more focus on head injuries. As for youth athletes, there is some evidence that injuries are on the rise as seen in other sports in which enrollment/participation has not increased, while injuries have. The best example is baseball, in which arm injuries for pitchers has risen. This, however, does not neccessarily translate to other sports.

That said, your statement differs from that of the articles:

'The study is the most comprehensive analysis of youth soccer injuries, but it may actually underestimate the number of soccer-related injuries; the study evaluated only emergency room visits.'

The article specifically states 'soccer injuries' and 'soccer-related injuries' yet you are concerned with kids trying to be too athletic instead of being a soccer player. I might state just the opposite. While I do support 5-7 days of exercise, perhaps the soccer should be for 4 days (three practices and a game), fitness and conditioning for 2 days and either a combination day, a rest day, or a conditioning day for the seventh.
                There is ample evidence that cross-training is very very healthy for the average person. Why wouldn't this be similar for sport specific athletes?

Comment

The article, which is a poorly written article...
                  Massive understatement.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                  Auto-Saved
                  x
                  Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                  x
                  Working...
                  X