Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'd rather have $150K and a degree from {pick one below} than a degree from any IVY.

BC, BU, Northeastern, HC, and many others around the country.
    Agreed---I would take the Holy Cross diploma, knowing that at best you might win 1 or 2 games over your 4 years spent playing soccer there. You might win 4 or 5 games over those same 4 years at BC or BU.

Comment

Your kid has to get in first and if you are planning on soccer getting them in your kid had better be a world class level player otherwise you'll end like the rest here trying to explain how Trinity was the plan all along and having the rest here laugh at you.
      That's the cruel part about the Ivies, if your kid shoots for one and comes up short, all the other doors except D3 are closed because the D1 recruiting window opens and closes years earlier than the Ivy recruiting window. Most other D1 women's soccer recruiting is done well before the kids even take their SAT's where as a typical Iivy prospect won't know their fate until after their 2nd or 3rd try. That's why you periodically have parents on here talking about how their D1 quality player actually chose D3 for the education. Usually that's code for they shot for an Ivy and missed. Don't kid yourself about this Ivy League proposal, it's all about them and making their recruiting timeline more relevant to true D1 prospects.

Comment

That's the cruel part about the Ivies, if your kid shoots for one and comes up short, all the other doors except D3 are closed because the D1 recruiting window opens and closes years earlier than the Ivy recruiting window. Most other D1 women's soccer recruiting is done well before the kids even take their SAT's where as a typical Iivy prospect won't know their fate until after their 2nd or 3rd try. That's why you periodically have parents on here talking about how their D1 quality player actually chose D3 for the education. Usually that's code for they shot for an Ivy and missed. Don't kid yourself about this Ivy League proposal, it's all about them and making their recruiting timeline more relevant to true D1 prospects.
        I think it will fall flat anyway. It's needed, but I just don't see other schools agreeing to it.

Comment

Why would the rest of D1 care? There are actually a lot of hidden benefits (like transferring the the bulk of the cost of recruitment on to the families) that this system has so why should they change it? Most of the NCAA rules are about keeping a level playing field between the institutions, and it never has really cared about the individual athletes. At least this system gives the athletes some autonomy ( remember under the old rules when the schools were paying for everything a prospect only got 5 campus visits and could only visit each school once) to make the best possible decision for themselves.

Comment

If your AGI is $1M+ or <$150K and your kid has north of 2100 on their SAT's then an Ivy is a solid decision because your kid has a real solid shot of getting in and you are not really paying (or feeling) the freight for it. The bulk of everyone else is going to look upon even a paltry 50% discount to a fairly non valued college like a Fairfield to be a home run if their kid fits there academically and athletically. One of the persistent problems on this site is the parents that want to frame the discussion to be about the Ivies when in reality what they are really talking about is some D3 school. As though anyone in their right mind is going to take a school like Trinity over a school like Lafayette when there is $100-200K on the table from the later. Makes a much more noble story when you switch the school names to Harvard and Sacred Heart but unfortunately that just isn't reality.

Comment

If your AGI is $1M+ or <$150K and your kid has north of 2100 on their SAT's then an Ivy is a solid decision because your kid has a real solid shot of getting in and you are not really paying (or feeling) the freight for it. The bulk of everyone else is going to look upon even a paltry 50% discount to a fairly non valued college like a Fairfield to be a home run if their kid fits there academically and athletically. One of the persistent problems on this site is the parents that want to frame the discussion to be about the Ivies when in reality what they are really talking about is some D3 school. As though anyone in their right mind is going to take a school like Trinity over a school like Lafayette when there is $100-200K on the table from the later. Makes a much more noble story when you switch the school names to Harvard and Sacred Heart but unfortunately that just isn't reality.
              The Trinity/Lafayette (Harvard/Sacred Heart) discussion is fair enough, but I'd venture that most in the realm of Lafayette/Trinity won't view Fairfield as a "home run" regardless of the money. A question is whether you opt for a Fairfield at $200K or a Lafayette/Trinity at $100K (including financial aid). My kid/family went the lesser school/more $ route and she feels good about it (I think) but we all know it was a compromise academically.

Comment

We always read about kids dumped by Ivy's or top tier D3 late in the process. And I know many are. There are also kids that dump these schools last minute for D1 slots that open up. One on my daughters team did just that. This may be less likely to happen, but is does occur. It is not a one way street.

I agree the system is a mess, but the Ivy proposal will not change much

Comment

The Trinity/Lafayette (Harvard/Sacred Heart) discussion is fair enough, but I'd venture that most in the realm of Lafayette/Trinity won't view Fairfield as a "home run" regardless of the money. A question is whether you opt for a Fairfield at $200K or a Lafayette/Trinity at $100K (including financial aid). My kid/family went the lesser school/more $ route and she feels good about it (I think) but we all know it was a compromise academically.
                  Let's be real, no one is going to factor Trinity into the equation at all when there is that much money on the table. Actually the way things work out in the real world you would be looking at $200 from Lafayette since it is typically the lower ranked program and $100K from Fairfield. The question then is whether or not you can get that $200K from one of the higher ranked Patriot League schools that have better soccer programs. Fairfield typically only enters the discussion as a safety school and that's more a function of your kids grades than their soccer ability. The D3 option only becomes a real option in most families cases if they screw up their original target and shoot too high either athletically or academically and they adjust their sites too late in the game.

Comment

If your kid has Lafayette type grades a lot of times there will be a lot of merit money from a place like Fairfield so you could end up looking at similar packages from either school. One thing about merit money is it can't disappear like athletic money can.

Comment

Let's be real, no one is going to factor Trinity into the equation at all when there is that much money on the table. Actually the way things work out in the real world you would be looking at $200 from Lafayette since it is typically the lower ranked program and $100K from Fairfield. The question then is whether or not you can get that $200K from one of the higher ranked Patriot League schools that have better soccer programs. Fairfield typically only enters the discussion as a safety school and that's more a function of your kids grades than their soccer ability. The D3 option only becomes a real option in most families cases if they screw up their original target and shoot too high either athletically or academically and they adjust their sites too late in the game.
                      Idiot

Comment

I'd rather have $150K and a degree from {pick one below} than a degree from any IVY.

BC, BU, Northeastern, HC, and many others around the country.
                        That is your choice. Not everyone would make that choice. I would chose H-Y-P over BU for the 150K

Comment

That is your choice. Not everyone would make that choice. I would chose H-Y-P over BU for the 150K
                          Each family and kid is different so the decision is based on your income and child's career interest. Not every kid wants the pressure of the Ivy league and not every family sneezes at 150K...

Comment

Idiot
                            The only time a D3 school like Trinity becomes a factor when lumping it together with those other schools is when the kid isn't really being recruited by those other schools and all that is really being offered is academic money and financial aid. It puts all the schools on an equal footing financially and the D3 option starts to look good because that's the only place the kid really has a shot to see the field.

Comment

Only if you kid actually had the grades to get into Harvard, Yale or Princeton AND wasn't a good enough soccer play to see the field for Stanford, Duke, UVA, or Georgetown.

Comment

We always read about kids dumped by Ivy's or top tier D3 late in the process. And I know many are. There are also kids that dump these schools last minute for D1 slots that open up. One on my daughters team did just that. This may be less likely to happen, but is does occur. It is not a one way street.

I agree the system is a mess, but the Ivy proposal will not change much

Seriously? 1 kid out of hundreds turned down Harvard or Amherst for BC, UConn or UVA and it's an example. Not really.

My kid was a good to great soccer player, but the elite schools were still way out of reach!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X