Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    A watered down team beating another watered down team most certainly doesn't tell anything about the quality of the players on those teams. The player's resume's tell that story. One of the highest accolades a player can earn is All American status. First ask how many All Americans did we have in this state last year and how many of them were on the same club team? Then look at the resume's of the players playing beside those All Americans. I think you will find some that didn't even earn All Conference honors playing right beside them.
    So you're an old timer that wants to go back to the 70s before the club soccer boom. If you were great back then, you were selected to play on the district or state team. But now families have more choices and decided that some private soccer clubs were better than state teams. So I get it, the talent is not all in one place like it used to be. But that ship has sailed and you have to move on.

Comment

So you're an old timer that wants to go back to the 70s before the club soccer boom. If you were great back then, you were selected to play on the district or state team. But now families have more choices and decided that some private soccer clubs were better than state teams. So I get it, the talent is not all in one place like it used to be. But that ship has sailed and you have to move on.
      No, don't want to go back there at all, just responding to the idea that making a team denotes a player's quality. It doesn't.

Today, I personally think that starting and playing every minute for a varsity high school team as a freshman is more an indication of quality than the club team a player plays for is and I would say that the higher the level of high school program that accomplishment happens in the better the litmus test. I think that you will find if you look at the list of All Americans the overwhelming majority of them were 4 year starters so if you are looking for some way to gauge a players quality I would use that to define what the top level players look like and really adjust from there.

Comment

No, don't want to go back there at all, just responding to the idea that making a team denotes a player's quality. It doesn't.

Today, I personally think that starting and playing every minute for a varsity high school team as a freshman is more an indication of quality than the club team a player plays for is and I would say that the higher the level of high school program that accomplishment happens in the better the litmus test. I think that you will find if you look at the list of All Americans the overwhelming majority of them were 4 year starters so if you are looking for some way to gauge a players quality I would use that to define what the top level players look like and really adjust from there.
        Back to your point, isn't HS soccer watered down? Each town with its own no. of all stars spread out all over the region.

Comment

Back to your point, isn't HS soccer watered down? Each town with its own no. of all stars spread out all over the region.
          Though the overall level of play might not be anywhere near as good as club, the banding of talent is going to be quite a bit tighter simply because you don't have 18-20 players all from the same class. At the freshman level the kids that make the varsity WILL be good players and, when talking about a top level program, the ones that have a major impact in their freshman year will be exceptional.

Comment

The litmus test in middle school is how much money the clubs are willing to give your kid in order for you to have them play for their team. The closer you get to paying zero the stronger the player they see your kid.

Comment

The litmus test in middle school is how much money the clubs are willing to give your kid in order for you to have them play for their team. The closer you get to paying zero the stronger the player they see your kid.
              Please stop with this nonsense. I know impact players on top regional club teams at the middle school ages and none of them get "scholarships". It's need-based only, as in you need to show your tax returns to prove you can't afford club soccer. I know NPL players, same deal, no scholarships and these are some of the most talented players in their age group.

This BS meme goes out all the time. "Your Mia or Landon isn't a special player unless they play club for free". It's nonsense. One kid in 50 might get some financial aid and I guarantee they aren't the impact player.

Comment

Please stop with this nonsense. I know impact players on top regional club teams at the middle school ages and none of them get "scholarships". It's need-based only, as in you need to show your tax returns to prove you can't afford club soccer. I know NPL players, same deal, no scholarships and these are some of the most talented players in their age group.

This BS meme goes out all the time. "Your Mia or Landon isn't a special player unless they play club for free". It's nonsense. One kid in 50 might get some financial aid and I guarantee they aren't the impact player.
                Exactly right. We have NT and ODP National Pool Player from our town and they are a starter on their ECNL team, and she does not get a scholarship money. Her family can afford the tuition and would never dare ask for financial aid!

Comment

Exactly right. We have NT and ODP National Pool Player from our town and they are a starter on their ECNL team, and she does not get a scholarship money. Her family can afford the tuition and would never dare ask for financial aid!
                  Some of you should wake up and smell the coffee because you are sound asleep. The clubs fall all over themselves trying to accommodate that level player. Believe it or not some clubs even arrange for the travel expenses to get covered. How else do you think a player from Las Vegas plays for a team in San Diego like last year's SD Surf? A deep discount on the club fee is the absolute minimum players of that ilk get, it's just not advertised all that widely because it's not anyone's business but the club's and the family's. Don't be ignorant or naive enough to assume it is not happening though.

Comment

The nonsense is from parents like this that clearly think their kid is all that and a bag of popcorn when the reality is as simple as their club just isn't afraid to lose them. That tells you something right there because if the club felt that the player was something special they would be approaching the family with offers.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                    Auto-Saved
                    x
                    Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                    x
                    Working...
                    X