Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    This is too funny. Maple used to do this back when a club soccer team cost about $500 to belong to. It is called promo-relegation and is not only healthy for the game but necessary for player development. Unfortunately back then the MASC crowd started crying a river about kids losing their opportunity to play soccer and the next thing you know we have NEP where no team gets cuts only the cost jumped close to 10 fold what it used to cost to be on a town soccer team. Now The NEP crowd wants to escape the riff raft that are all those uncommitted town level players that just wanted an opportunity to play only now the cost has jumped to $3,000 to belong to a decent team and you have to throw in another $3-5,000 for travel to do that. The really sad part is back in the old Maple days the very best teams would have handily beaten what now is called an "elite" team.
    There a lot of very good clubs that charge $2,000 or less. And if you are paying $3,000 to $5,000 for travel, you really don't have to. That's your choice with that.

And from what I've seen, the old Maple top teams are now the new NPL teams. The new "elite" teams are a step below this. And for the older kids aging out, most all of them say that the current U10/U12 teams are much more skilled than when they played.

Comment

I think most people would agree that this country has a pretty good structure in place to develop baseball players. From Little League through college, the opportunities for American kids are limitless.

On the flip side, the Caribbean nations have far fewer resources. They also produce a disproportionate number of major league players. Talent and ability can be developed in a number of ways, it's not always due to a particular league or team structure. Some people are placing way too much emphasis on which league is better for development. An individuals make up and natural abilities (physical, mental, social) play a far greater role in development than what league you play in.
      This makes way too much sense to be posted on TS.

Please stop.

Comment

I agree. The only thing you can be sure of in club soccer is that the cost will go up and there will be certain parents lining up to pay. The self serving perception that the more it costs the better it is.
        What business is it of anyone how much a family pays for their kids to play club soccer? My D tried out for two mega clubs and a MAPLE-based town-affiliated club. We chose the mid-priced club and it's been a great fit so far. We could have paid 50% more for one club, but we wouldn't have gotten much more in terms of development, coaching or competition. We could have paid 60% less, and gotten a much weaker team playing much weaker competition with less than stellar facilities and coaching no where near the level we get now.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? I think so and so does my D. We train at the best facility in the region with indoor and outdoor turf, have a great coach who is knowledgable and very good at player development, and a strong team with motivated players and families.Want to pay 50-60% less? There are clubs that offer that and there is nothing wrong with it, but you will see sacrifices made, in terms of coaching, facilities, player commitment, and competition. Like anything else, purchase what you can afford and accept the value you get. Not everyone wants or needs to buy a CRV or Hyundai Sonata. Some of us want and can afford a Yukon or BMW...

Comment

* sigh * Gawd this goes on and on.

As for promotion/relegation, it's much to do about nothing. Every year, my kid has played in an appropriate level. Sometimes top of NEP, sometimes down a level. Always, mid-table and close games.

Clubs decide where their team should be, and speaking for us, they get it right every time.
          * sigh *

Another youth soccer anecdote...

Comment

What business is it of anyone how much a family pays for their kids to play club soccer? My D tried out for two mega clubs and a MAPLE-based town-affiliated club. We chose the mid-priced club and it's been a great fit so far. We could have paid 50% more for one club, but we wouldn't have gotten much more in terms of development, coaching or competition. We could have paid 60% less, and gotten a much weaker team playing much weaker competition with less than stellar facilities and coaching no where near the level we get now.

Is it expensive? Yes. Is it worth it? I think so and so does my D. We train at the best facility in the region with indoor and outdoor turf, have a great coach who is knowledgable and very good at player development, and a strong team with motivated players and families.Want to pay 50-60% less? There are clubs that offer that and there is nothing wrong with it, but you will see sacrifices made, in terms of coaching, facilities, player commitment, and competition. Like anything else, purchase what you can afford and accept the value you get. Not everyone wants or needs to buy a CRV or Hyundai Sonata. Some of us want and can afford a Yukon or BMW...
            Don't you get it? There's people lining up on here just chomping at the bit telling you how to spend your money.

I actually run all important financial decisions through TS.

-Navin R. Johnson

Comment

"Yukon or BMW" ...Jesus ****ing Christ when a business has its customers dropping analogies like that, they've won. Bigly.

Comment

"Yukon or BMW" ...Jesus ****ing Christ when a business has its customers dropping analogies like that, they've won. Bigly.
                Oooh...the jealousy is really starting to show now.

There's always someone who has it better than you. There's always someone who has it worse than you.

Be happy for yourself and what you have.

Comment

Oooh...the jealousy is really starting to show now.

There's always someone who has it better than you. There's always someone who has it worse than you.

Be happy for yourself and what you have.
                  Didn't see that rebuttal coming at all.

Comment

Different experience for us. We have been slotted too low and moved up a couple levels to the proper level and also moved down. One season we moved up mid-season. Right now is a sorting out season due to the age changes.
                    We have only played with Maple so far. In the spring they shift up teams that did really well to make more even competition. In NEP/NPL have you seen the coaches generally putting the teams in appropriate sections? I could see them lowering the team so they would win, thus more accolades for them.

Comment

We have only played with Maple so far. In the spring they shift up teams that did really well to make more even competition. In NEP/NPL have you seen the coaches generally putting the teams in appropriate sections? I could see them lowering the team so they would win, thus more accolades for them.
                      I won't speak for everyone, only ourselves. But, no...we've always been in an appropriate division. Mid-table, close games, no blow-outs. Sometimes top of NEP, sometimes not.

Comment

There a lot of very good clubs that charge $2,000 or less. And if you are paying $3,000 to $5,000 for travel, you really don't have to. That's your choice with that.

And from what I've seen, the old Maple top teams are now the new NPL teams. The new "elite" teams are a step below this. And for the older kids aging out, most all of them say that the current U10/U12 teams are much more skilled than when they played.
                        Back in the old Maple days all of the literal "best" players in the state all played on 1-2 teams. As far as the skill level today, you can put lipstick on a pig but it still aint pretty

Comment

Back in the old Maple days all of the literal "best" players in the state all played on 1-2 teams. As far as the skill level today, you can put lipstick on a pig but it still aint pretty
                          I disagree, I feel the level of soccer across the board is better than even 5-10 years ago, and definitely better than 15-20 years ago. Yes, the top players were less spread out across the age groups since there were less teams and leagues 5-10 years ago, but overall, youth soccer quality is getting better every year.

Comment

I disagree, I feel the level of soccer across the board is better than even 5-10 years ago, and definitely better than 15-20 years ago. Yes, the top players were less spread out across the age groups since there were less teams and leagues 5-10 years ago, but overall, youth soccer quality is getting better every year.
                            All quite true but so what if your average rec player can now pass the ball and trap it better and maybe do an occasional step over where has it gotten any of them? Seriously considering how extreme the costs have run up over the last 15-20 you really have to wonder if it all was really worth it. The only ones that seem happy about it are the ones who set no limits on what they spend on their kids and try to buy their way into everything.

Comment

All quite true but so what if your average rec player can now pass the ball and trap it better and maybe do an occasional step over where has it gotten any of them? Seriously considering how extreme the costs have run up over the last 15-20 you really have to wonder if it all was really worth it. The only ones that seem happy about it are the ones who set no limits on what they spend on their kids and try to buy their way into everything.
                              Whether its worth it or not is up to each individual family. And they can opt out at any time. And the benefits include many things not related to soccer.

Comment

This post is a perfect example of the hedonistic mindset that pervades much of club soccer these days. No one really cares what others spend, what they are complaining about is parents like this whack job who never seem to see that their kids don't actually have the talent to belong to the same teams and the only thing that is putting their kids on them is their willingness to spend money. Clowns like this blowhard actually do equate club soccer to buying a car yet whenever you see their kids play they are the first ones to tap out in a game. These are the same types that criticize chasing a D1 scholarship as being a dead end and are always talking about the first priority being academics yet they always want their kids right beside the player chasing those goals. It sux to have parents like them on the same team with your kids and sadly its getting harder and harder to escape them.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X