Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It's rough out there

My intermediate level Rec team entered a tournament that had a lot of competitive teams in our bracket. Seems like every time we play competitive teams, my kids get hurt. Is that the norm? To win consistently do you just injure the competition? WTH?!

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My intermediate level Rec team entered a tournament that had a lot of competitive teams in our bracket. Seems like every time we play competitive teams, my kids get hurt. Is that the norm? To win consistently do you just injure the competition? WTH?!
    I don't' believe any teams go into a game with the intention of hurting the other players, at least I hope not.

It's more likely that when you play competitive teams, they likely have a few ultra competitive kids and probably a few big and more physical players than your kids are used to. At the younger ages, the bigger athletic kids are usually on the better teams.

Comment

I don't' believe any teams go into a game with the intention of hurting the other players, at least I hope not.

It's more likely that when you play competitive teams, they likely have a few ultra competitive kids and probably a few big and more physical players than your kids are used to. At the younger ages, the bigger athletic kids are usually on the better teams.
      Yes bigger kids smashing into smaller kids result in more injuries; it's not intentional just the laws of physics. One of my kids recently played a weaker and younger team that was playing up. Our players are averaged sized. But when one team has a few inches and many more pounds per average player than the other stuff happens.

Comment

Not to mention, the better the competition, the more physical the play (not dirty, just physical). I always get a kick out of parents of mid and low level travel players who are up in arms at every physical tackle or 50/50 play. They think everything is a foul, when in reality only about 15% of what they ooh and ahh at is a real foul. Just lack of knowledge and exposure to good soccer

Comment

Not to mention, the better the competition, the more physical the play (not dirty, just physical). I always get a kick out of parents of mid and low level travel players who are up in arms at every physical tackle or 50/50 play. They think everything is a foul, when in reality only about 15% of what they ooh and ahh at is a real foul. Just lack of knowledge and exposure to good soccer
          I completely agree, but there is that isolated case, and maybe it's less than 1%, but it happens, where you see players who've been coached to play outside the laws of the game...and their coach and the parents LOVE it and gasp in disbelief when the fouls are called, screaming "let them play!"

Comment

I completely agree, but there is that isolated case, and maybe it's less than 1%, but it happens, where you see players who've been coached to play outside the laws of the game...and their coach and the parents LOVE it and gasp in disbelief when the fouls are called, screaming "let them play!"
            While I don't always agree, in most situations, players are allowed contact if they get a foot on the ball. And good players know this and use it to their advantage when necessary. I'd prefer games to be called tighter. It makes for a more pure game and easier to watch.

Comment

I've actually seen it go the other way. When talented teams play less experienced teams. Weaker teams bombing balls with no control or getting frustrated and tackling recklessly. I've witnessed defensive backs panicking and blasting balls into kids faces.

We're tempted to pull our kids out of HS soccer because of this issue.

Comment

I've actually seen it go the other way. When talented teams play less experienced teams. Weaker teams bombing balls with no control or getting frustrated and tackling recklessly. I've witnessed defensive backs panicking and blasting balls into kids faces.

We're tempted to pull our kids out of HS soccer because of this issue.
                Oh give it a rest. And only let your kids leave HS soccer because they want to, not because you think it's a (supposed) safety issue.

Comment

Oh give it a rest. And only let your kids leave HS soccer because they want to, not because you think it's a (supposed) safety issue.
                  My kids all play soccer, and will keep playing soccer. But a few years ago, a girl blasted a ball so hard it hit my daughter in the forehead and knocked her out for about 10 seconds. She had no memory of the hit. She had a light concussion, but got better quickly after that.

Comment

While I don't always agree, in most situations, players are allowed contact if they get a foot on the ball. And good players know this and use it to their advantage when necessary. I'd prefer games to be called tighter. It makes for a more pure game and easier to watch.
                    No disagreement there ...except that's not really what I'm referring to. You can actually get that touch on the ball first and still have played with excessive force, violence, or dangerously. And there are coaches and parents who ignore that distinction, worst of all even referees.

Comment

My kids all play soccer, and will keep playing soccer. But a few years ago, a girl blasted a ball so hard it hit my daughter in the forehead and knocked her out for about 10 seconds. She had no memory of the hit. She had a light concussion, but got better quickly after that.
                      glad she was fine but that can happen at club just as easily

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                      Auto-Saved
                      x
                      Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                      x
                      Working...
                      X