•  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Oh her release is coming

From Soccer America

U.S. women's national team coach Jill Ellis said she supported Rapinoe's willingness to speak out about issues but expected players to stand for the national anthem. Asked before the game by ESPN's Julie Foudy what she would do if Rapinoe kneeled, Ellis said she would have a “conversation" with Rapinoe. As for repercussions, Ellis said, “It warrants a determination."

U.S. Soccer issued a statement that representing his or her country was a privilege and honor for any player or coach associated with U.S. national teams and therefore had particular significance for soccer's national governing body.

"As part of the privilege to represent your country," it stated, "we have an expectation that our players and coaches will stand and honor our flag while the national anthem is played."
    She can protest whatever she wants. There is a time and place for everything. Her country has provided her with the opportunity to play in front of a large audience and to play soccer. She was not selected to the team to be a beacon for LBGXYZ or anything else. If she wants to kneel during a press conference, during warm ups, after the game, on her own time, etc. have at it.
    They are trying to express their dissatisfaction by hijacking a solemn US ceremony to raise awareness, which justly causes great dissatisfaction to an overwhelming majority of Americans. I equate it to somebody pulling a stunt for their own selfish purposed at a funeral. It's beyond disrespectful!

Comment

She can protest whatever she wants. There is a time and place for everything. Her country has provided her with the opportunity to play in front of a large audience and to play soccer. She was not selected to the team to be a beacon for LBGXYZ or anything else. If she wants to kneel during a press conference, during warm ups, after the game, on her own time, etc. have at it.
      They are trying to express their dissatisfaction by hijacking a solemn US ceremony to raise awareness, which justly causes great dissatisfaction to an overwhelming majority of Americans. I equate it to somebody pulling a stunt for their own selfish purposed at a funeral. It's beyond disrespectful!
      I don't know. I mean, not what I would do and I don't agree with her...but...that's the point of a protest, to disrupt. If it can be done silently, and without impacting lives like most of the BLM activity, I suppose that's better.

Comment

I forgot to add. A time and place for everything. When the whistle blows it's time to begin playing. Why doesn't she kneel down then? She would probably draw a lot more attention to herself and her cause.
        When the anthem begins, it's time to stand at attention and show your gratitude for all that this country has to offer and the sacrifices that others have made to provide these opportunities we have - not to protest what your unhappy with.

Comment

We have made progress but don't fool yourself that we have achieved a perfect Union. Rights of women and minorities are still consistly under attack. Until that perfect Union is there everybody have the right under our constitution to advocate for peacefully. What gods you pray for bless you.

Comment

Men and women in uniform dead to protect our constitution. If you all forget the constitution guarantee each individual rights to pursuit life and Liberty. Is included right to protest.

Comment

We have made progress but don't fool yourself that we have achieved a perfect Union. Rights of women and minorities are still consistly under attack. Until that perfect Union is there everybody have the right under our constitution to advocate for peacefully. What gods you pray for bless you.
              We'll never be perfect. But, what we are is light years ahead of most.

Comment

Or you could teach them that their country is one of the most tolerant, equal opportunity places in the world. Teach them to be proud but strive for improvement. Then show them "Saving Private Ryan" followed by documentary footage of the concentration camps. Then fly to Normandy and visit the American Cemetary. I guarantee you they will gladly stand for the pledge of allegiance.

P.S. There are many places where Rapinoe would be executed for her sexual orientation. But she is oppressed but has the right to marry and live as she chooses. Hello?
                It's not about other countries or places where things are much worse. It's about improving OUR country. She has a constitutional right to do what she's doing- protesting that we are not upholding our constitutional imperative to treat all people as equals. That's what the flag is all about-we fought long hard dirty wars to defend our constitution not the flag or the Pledge of Allegiance

Comment

"We need to have a national conversation..."

Conservation that follows is tediously political and intellectually dishonest.

Has anyone actually argued Rapinoe (or that backup QB) DOESN'T have the right" to do what they're doing? Not that I've seen. Last I checked this story, the government has no role in suppressing free speech here.

Meanwhile, if US Soccer wants to tell its employees you abide by a code of conduct or else. That's fine too. They should.

Serious question for the "she has the right..." or SJW crowds, should there be repercussions by US Soccer? If Rapinoe ripped the crest off her jersey or drew a big X over it with a sharpie, is that any different?

I have no issue with her as a player or person, she's been great for the sport, but if I'm US Soccer, she's on the Hope Solo double-secret probation. 3 strikes to get in line or get released.

Comment

It's not about other countries or places where things are much worse. It's about improving OUR country. She has a constitutional right to do what she's doing- protesting that we are not upholding our constitutional imperative to treat all people as equals. That's what the flag is all about-we fought long hard dirty wars to defend our constitution not the flag or the Pledge of Allegiance
                    Utter claptrap.

Comment

It's time to draw a line in the sand. If you want to represent your country you stand during the anthem. Why didn't she kneel a month earlier at Rio? Did these social injustices just occur to her or did she realize how much attention that idiot in SF was getting and wanted in on the action. Let her go ply her trade in other countries where she won't have to hear the anthem ever but let her disrespect the anthem of that country and see how tolerant they are. It might give her some perspective.

Comment

No doubt she has the right. She is not guaranteed the platform. Love to see her released from both teams and she can protest at the local Whole Foods. No ESPN, no nothing.

Megan who?

Comment

People are always confusing the flag with the ideals the flag can represent. It's those ideals that are important, including the right to free speech. And, those idolaters can be loud...moronically so.

Comment

No doubt she has the right. She is not guaranteed the platform. Love to see her released from both teams and she can protest at the local Whole Foods. No ESPN, no nothing.

Megan who?
                            If you have never been stopped by the police and felt unjustly scrutinized, or worked in a corporate or academic environment where the top of the organization is 99% White and Male, or have had loved ones or friends who have been victims of racism, violence, prejudice, then I get it, it is difficult to understand. That does not mean that there is a long way to go in this country. That is also imo orthogonal to sacrifices that others have made to protect our constitutional rights. Imagine this same conversation 50 years ago. We are still 2-3 generations away. More than likely, as more and more ethnicities blend through marriage and children, this will start to go away. Unfortunately, I think we will still have the likes of David Duke and the KKK 100 years from now.

Comment

People are always confusing the flag with the ideals the flag can represent. It's those ideals that are important, including the right to free speech. And, those idolaters can be loud...moronically so.
                              Those ideals are important and they are represented by the flag, and the anthem. In essence you say the flag doesn't matter. Ms. Rapinoe seems to differ. It is why she is protesting it.

I bet you are one of those guys who has to be reminded at sporting events to take your hat off and lets your kids fool around during the anthem.

Comment

The flag is a symbol, the most recognizable symbol of those ideals, as is the anthem. If you disrespect the symbol, then you are in fact showing a lack of respect for the ideals you speak of.
                                This is not about constitutional rights, it's about respect. I have the right to shout insults at you and your family if I choose. I better be prepared to accept a response from you in return.

Rapinoe, Kapernick, et al, can do whatever they choose, but they have no right to expect that there won't be consequences. US soccer should remove Rapinoe from the team and the 49ers should cut Kapernick - simple.

Rapinoe was angered that the owner of the team chose to keep the teams off the field during the anthem. Ms. Rapinoe, that is his right. It's a little hypocritical that you don't like it. He feels differently than you and it upsets you? You feel like he disrespected your cause, how selfish can you be?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X