New Clubs in NEP/NEC

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I think the first weeks of the fall have suggested that the quality of the new clubs is every bit as good, or bad, as the NEP clubs. The nonsense spewed for the past 5-6 years was just nonsense. Valeo and Coastal are strong clubs and will do very well within the NEP. The new NEC clubs will also succeed and others will join at the end of the fall.

MAPLE will have to completely reinvent itself or it will be gone in 12 months.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      how is that exactly?
      For the 99.9%, it will be but a memory.
      Except for the parents.
      But have fun arguing over who is better.

Comment

Except for the parents.
        You seem to assume a lot, perhaps that is true from some. For those of us that don't care which club is better vs another, the point is that there are teams where our children play that are competitive in different leagues.

Comment

Except for the parents.
          Why wouldn't it be "For 100% it will be but a memory"? Or are you saying that 0.1% will be dead? No, that doesn't make any sense either. OK, I give up, what are you trying to say?

Comment

You seem to assume a lot, perhaps that is true from some. For those of us that don't care which club is better vs another, the point is that there are teams where our children play that are competitive in different leagues.
            Why should that matter one iota?
            Who cares what league, what club, what coach?
            It will be of no significance in a few years.
            Except for the .1% that play higher level.
            Got it?

Comment

Why should that matter one iota?
              Who cares what league, what club, what coach?
              It will be of no significance in a few years.
              Except for the .1% that play higher level.
              Got it?
              I think players and parents do attach lasting different significance to the league, club and coach. Is it so hard to believe that 5 years from now there will be more significance to the memory of playing on a highly ranked, well performing team as opposed to a bottom level team? That's like saying the memories of playing on a D1 college team would have the same significance as playing intramural soccer at framingham state. One is a lasting, hard-earned accomplishment while the other is just some good memories.

Comment

I think players and parents do attach lasting different significance to the league, club and coach. Is it so hard to believe that 5 years from now there will be more significance to the memory of playing on a highly ranked, well performing team as opposed to a bottom level team? That's like saying the memories of playing on a D1 college team would have the same significance as playing intramural soccer at framingham state. One is a lasting, hard-earned accomplishment while the other is just some good memories.
                That was deep. Thanks Jack Handly!

Comment

Just to clarify which is the the hard-earned accomplishment, the D1 soccer player who majored in sports kinesiology and can only get a job as a Club coach or the intramural soccer player with a real major?

Comment

Can you not read?
                    The example you offer only strengthens the suggestion made earlier-the .1% will remember, the remaining 99.9% will not, which is the entire make-up of NEP and its lower brethren.
                    So caring about what league, division, club your kid is in now is fruitless: it will not matter one iota down the road. (Except for the .1%)
                    Got it?

Comment

Just to clarify which is the the hard-earned accomplishment, the D1 soccer player who majored in sports kinesiology and can only get a job as a Club coach or the intramural soccer player with a real major?
                      No, the D1-D3 player who loves the game, took AP classes, and goes onto college majoring in an in demand field. Everything is down to the individual student athlete.

Comment

That someone was even inclined to evoke this analogy says a lot.

Comment

I guess we are reading different threads, because I rarely see posts ripping Maple. I do see posts that discount chest thumping by specific Maple teams. With notable exceptions (SSS, Valeo) those discounts are usually supported by actual results from tournament play.

I think it is fair to say two things
                          1) Maple D1 and NEP Premiership are effectively equivalent. The best NEP players get pulled up/out pitting a larger club's B team vs. a smaller club's A Team. As you go down divisions, there is great variability, and should we care how a B team fares against a C?

2) NEP is winning the league battle. More players, and now more clubs are joining NEP/NEC. It's not that NEP is natively "better" or that there aren't great coaches in Maple. NEP simply offers a pathway to glory that Maple doesn't. The club's "AMG" teams attract the families/players who aspire to that, and happily pay a premium for a C-Class. Rare is the consumer that understands the value of the Mazda Speed 6 or Subaru WRX.
                          Just a couple of comments about this post.

First, NEP consists of several divisions - the general quality of the teams in each of those divisions varies widely. There are many sides who play in the NEP who would slot right into MAPLE D2 and some who would play D3 in MAPLE. NEP is not all that and a bag of chips.

At the very top level, the very best teams are really good and in recent history, the very best D1 MAPLE teams have been roughly comparable/competitive, but I don't see how that can continue given that the majority of top MAPLE clubs have moved to NEP. There are certainly a few who remain in MAPLE who can play - FC Blazers, Hammer, SF Vikings for example - but most of MAPLE is now littered with small startups that boast a half a dozen or fewer teams. They certainly could grow and improve, but I think the talent pool is fairly finite. The playing population may grow, but that doesn't mean that more good players and good teams will be produced.

Anyway, I kind of think that what's transpired is sad. Most of the clubs in NEP (aside from say CFC, FSA and a few others) originally competed in MAPLE and having separate leagues seems counter-intuitive if the goal is to raise the overall quality of play (at least I think that's the case). Regardless, times have definitely changed. I'm not sure MAPLE is going away anytime soon, but I don't see how it can hope to return to the top of the heap given the defections of the past two or three years.

Comment

Can you not read?
                            The example you offer only strengthens the suggestion made earlier-the .1% will remember, the remaining 99.9% will not, which is the entire make-up of NEP and its lower brethren.
                            So caring about what league, division, club your kid is in now is fruitless: it will not matter one iota down the road. (Except for the .1%)
                            Got it?
                            True this. What should matter is whether or not your child is playing at the appropriate level and if they enjoy it.

Comment

Just a couple of comments about this post.

First, NEP consists of several divisions - the general quality of the teams in each of those divisions varies widely. There are many sides who play in the NEP who would slot right into MAPLE D2 and some who would play D3 in MAPLE. NEP is not all that and a bag of chips.

At the very top level, the very best teams are really good and in recent history, the very best D1 MAPLE teams have been roughly comparable/competitive, but I don't see how that can continue given that the majority of top MAPLE clubs have moved to NEP. There are certainly a few who remain in MAPLE who can play - FC Blazers, Hammer, SF Vikings for example - but most of MAPLE is now littered with small startups that boast a half a dozen or fewer teams. They certainly could grow and improve, but I think the talent pool is fairly finite. The playing population may grow, but that doesn't mean that more good players and good teams will be produced.

Anyway, I kind of think that what's transpired is sad. Most of the clubs in NEP (aside from say CFC, FSA and a few others) originally competed in MAPLE and having separate leagues seems counter-intuitive if the goal is to raise the overall quality of play (at least I think that's the case). Regardless, times have definitely changed. I'm not sure MAPLE is going away anytime soon, but I don't see how it can hope to return to the top of the heap given the defections of the past two or three years.
                              I agree with most of what you said from what I have seen. Some of those smaller startups have good players and teams, I have seen this in tournaments when they play NEP/NEC teams.
                              There really should be one league with different levels to accomodate all. maybe Maple could still exist for the newer town clubs, like in between club and rec.

Comment

There really should be one league with different levels to accomodate all. maybe Maple could still exist for the newer town clubs, like in between club and rec.
                                Your wish is granted. What you have proposed exists right now.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X