X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Maybe some transgender action going on here
    Wheelock has a roster of 13 and no freshman class on the team . 19-0 followed by 8-0 loss to Maine Maritime. It's going to be a long season.

Comment

Wheelock has a roster of 13 and no freshman class on the team . 19-0 followed by 8-0 loss to Maine Maritime. It's going to be a long season.
      Not sure what you expected because this is all fairly routine for the level. Contrary to what the NESCAC parents believe D3 always has been hit or miss so. There are lots of schools at the level that just don't put any emphasis on any of their sports, never mind soccer, so these sorts of results are what you end up with.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the UMass Boston Men's Program. I see that they were picked to finished first in the Little East but I just saw they have a 28 year old freshman from Jamaica. How is that even possible?! I thought there were rules that prevented kids that age from playing collegiate athletics.

Comment

Anyone know anything about the UMass Boston Men's Program. I see that they were picked to finished first in the Little East but I just saw they have a 28 year old freshman from Jamaica. How is that even possible?! I thought there were rules that prevented kids that age from playing collegiate athletics.
          As long as he never played colegiate or for pay age isn't a factor.

Comment

As long as he never played colegiate or for pay age isn't a factor.
            Just dosent seem right. And on top of that he coaches for Valeo. Now they are polluting the men's game as well.

Comment

Smells like an NCAA violation to me but presumably they checked the "amateur" rules.

Comment

There's an age limit for D1 and D2 but not for D3

Comment

Some of you need to cool your jets, you are talking about D3 and having a 28 year old player is exactly what the level is all about. Believe it or not there is nothing unsavory about it so if you want something more you should have sent your son to a D1 program where they have rules up the wazoo. Be careful what you wish for.

Comment

Some real surprises in the first few weeks. Tufts loses to Endicott. Colby loses to St. Josephs two NESCAC loses to weaker conferences. Dean winning by an average of six goals. Umass plays Union this weekend which will be a good indicator of how strong they are.

Comment

Some real surprises in the first few weeks. Tufts loses to Endicott. Colby loses to St. Josephs two NESCAC loses to weaker conferences. Dean winning by an average of six goals. Umass plays Union this weekend which will be a good indicator of how strong they are.
                      Yeah, but Endicott was a really good team last year, and Colby has been the bottom of the NESCAC barrel for years, so neither is a crazy result. As for UMass Boston, those Bolts kids are the real deal (D-1 caliber players), but I'm not so impressed with wins over Wentowrth and the like. So agreed that Union will be a good measuring stick; unfortunately the rest of the schedule looks pretty weak throughout except for a game against MIT (which looks to be down this year) and Babson (which is usually decent if not quite tournament caliber).

Comment

Yeah, but Endicott was a really good team last year, and Colby has been the bottom of the NESCAC barrel for years, so neither is a crazy result. As for UMass Boston, those Bolts kids are the real deal (D-1 caliber players), but I'm not so impressed with wins over Wentowrth and the like. So agreed that Union will be a good measuring stick; unfortunately the rest of the schedule looks pretty weak throughout except for a game against MIT (which looks to be down this year) and Babson (which is usually decent if not quite tournament caliber).
                        Agree with your post. Should also mention Umass played and beat Roger Williams 4-1. Not sure what that says about them?

Comment

Looks like UMass Boston beat Union 3-0. They are now 5-0. Looks like Babson, MIT and Eastern Connecticut are the only chances they have to be tested. I don't understand why they don't put better teams on their schedule so that they can get tested more.

Comment

You have to get other teams to agree to play you, and there is some scheduling strategy to this. Some other teams will worry about their strength of schedule for purposes of making the NCAA tournament, so may only want non-conference games against good teams, and before last year UMass Boston wasn't a good team. And while they seem to be onto a good thing with the players they're bringing in, I'd say there's some question as to whether this is sustainable. People have said here that the Bolts kids were supposed to go to Northeastern but couldn't swing the academics, but you'd have to think there's a real chance that at least MK makes the jump to D1 next season- he's a transcendent player at the D3 level.

Comment

You have to get other teams to agree to play you, and there is some scheduling strategy to this. Some other teams will worry about their strength of schedule for purposes of making the NCAA tournament, so may only want non-conference games against good teams, and before last year UMass Boston wasn't a good team. And while they seem to be onto a good thing with the players they're bringing in, I'd say there's some question as to whether this is sustainable. People have said here that the Bolts kids were supposed to go to Northeastern but couldn't swing the academics, but you'd have to think there's a real chance that at least MK makes the jump to D1 next season- he's a transcendent player at the D3 level.
                              Lol. Here today, gone tomorrow is more than normal at this level of D3. All it takes is for one "transcendent" player to show up and the faithful start talking about the NCAA tournament and program dominance. The reality of the level is the situation will change rather quickly because either the player will flunk out, run out of money and have to go to work, or end up getting that D1 scholarship. No one around here is actually doing anything to sustain success, they are just lucking into it. If you want to see what being competitive at this level is go watch a few episodes of "Last Chance U"

Comment

Lol. Here today, gone tomorrow is more than normal at this level of D3. All it takes is for one "transcendent" player to show up and the faithful start talking about the NCAA tournament and program dominance. The reality of the level is the situation will change rather quickly because either the player will flunk out, run out of money and have to go to work, or end up getting that D1 scholarship. No one around here is actually doing anything to sustain success, they are just lucking into it. If you want to see what being competitive at this level is go watch a few episodes of "Last Chance U"
                                This of course is not accurate across the board- tell this to all the D3 asst coaches standing in the cold recruiting at showcases. Look at schools like messiah, St lawrence, trinity (tx), ohio wesleyan, amherst- they've had sustained success over the long term and and work pretty hard at it- it's not just one star falling in their lap. Yeah, I know, it's not D1, and noting else matters...

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X