Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hiring videographer to tape the games

Does anyone have experience with their kids' team hiring a videographer to capture all of the games on video?

If so, could you share your experience, such as

- what would you expect the cost to be for a season?
    - did you have only local games filmed or does the videpgrapher travel or have affiliates in other cities (kid travels pretty regularly since in ECNL)?
    - was the cost worth it?
    - did the coach review the film with the players?
    - any unintended consequences?

Thanks for any insight.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Does anyone have experience with their kids' team hiring a videographer to capture all of the games on video?

- did you have only local games filmed or does the videpgrapher travel or have affiliates in other cities (kid travels pretty regularly since in ECNL)?
    - was the cost worth it?

Thanks for any insight.
    My oldest played on a Bolts Team years ago, they had a parent who shot all their games and ran off copies for all the kids on the computer. He used to say that it cost him about $15/game, obviously not including the time spent shooting and processing the film - or actually I think it was "mini-DV" videotape. I know he gave copies to the coaches, some talked about it, some not. No consequences. He claimed it cost him little enough, we gave him a club sweatshirt and gift card for supplies at the end of the season. He was also very kind with extra copies, to send to grandma and to coaches. Obviously not broadcast quality, but pretty good; he was very good about getting the game, not just his own kid. By the way, the kids loved it.

You can do it yourselves if you want to, at a fairly reasonable cost. Maybe a few guys share the work?

At that time, Development Academy had a vendor film all their showcase games; used a single remote controlled camera just midfield on a 25' pole; you could buy copies for $10/game. (Quality was no better than what the guys gave us for free, some of their cameramen we photographers and didn't see the match well)

Good luck!

Comment

It will cost about $150 per game for a professional videographer or company to tape a game. Divide that by each player it is about $10 per player.

Our coach bought a tower video system for our U16 team games and change $100 for 30 plus games of video. The parent/son had some issues in the beginning with the system but did a good job over all. The coach did a few video sessions with the players and plans on doing more this year. The players gave him a pocket size video projector so they could watch it on a wall in the hotel after the game.

Comment

Can anyone recommend someone? I'd be interested in doing this.

Comment

One of my kids is entering prime recruiting age. This past spring three dads split the duties and rotated so each didn't feel the pressure of being there every game. They all had decent but inexpensive video cameras and tripods. They posted the footage on Hudl but there are other websites out there. Easy service to use - the kids can go on and splice a highlight reel in no time. A few parents brought their own cameras once in awhile for more close up action (especially the keeper). Is it as good as a professional? Of course not. But it doesn't need to be so don't spend the money if you don't have to. My oldest was recruited for another sport and the coaches said they just want a 2-3 minutes MAX of decent footage. Nothing fancy, no graphics necessary

Comment

- was the cost worth it?

Thanks for any insight.
            Do it yourself with Hudl.

Comment

Do it yourself with Hudl.
              I don't have a decent video camera or tripod. And I don't want to watch the game through a lens. Much rather just pay someone else to do it.

Comment

I don't have a decent video camera or tripod. And I don't want to watch the game through a lens. Much rather just pay someone else to do it.
                The pay someone to find someone as well

Comment

It will cost about $150 per game for a professional videographer or company to tape a game. Divide that by each player it is about $10 per player.

Our coach bought a tower video system for our U16 team games and change $100 for 30 plus games of video. The parent/son had some issues in the beginning with the system but did a good job over all. The coach did a few video sessions with the players and plans on doing more this year. The players gave him a pocket size video projector so they could watch it on a wall in the hotel after the game.
                  Thanks, very helpful.

Comment

Have been filming and making available to the team and coaches for a year. Coach has never used them as a teaching tool, even though our club has a classroom available. Wonder if some coaches would prefer NOT to have film made for some reason...

Comment

Have been filming and making available to the team and coaches for a year. Coach has never used them as a teaching tool, even though our club has a classroom available. Wonder if some coaches would prefer NOT to have film made for some reason...
                      As a coach I understand. I already spend enough time, preparing for and leading film review each weak on top of everything else is too much.

Comment

This looks interesting

Www.soloshot.com

Comment

As a coach I understand. I already spend enough time, preparing for and leading film review each weak on top of everything else is too much.
                          Of course reviewing film each week would be too much to ask. However, the kids might really benefit from doing so once or twice a season.

Comment

Of course reviewing film each week would be too much to ask. However, the kids might really benefit from doing so once or twice a season.
                            As far as I know our club coach never does - a parent posts it on Hudl so maybe the coach does at home, but he doesn't do it as a group exercise. When he only has the boys a few times per week is it wise to watch footage or try and work on the issue on field? The HS coach uses it a few times, especially at the very beginning of the season and before playoffs. Great thing to do on a rainy day when you can't practice outside. Yes our "booster club fees" pay for that lol

Comment

This looks interesting

Www.soloshot.com
                              That does look cool. Has anyone used this? Fairly reasonably priced.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X