Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Props to 04 List Guy. You and 03 are doing a great job. Seasons early, but you made tough decisions, and shared the justification. Great read.

Wish i could say same about my 02 list, but it just doesn't yet feel right.

Love that we have 3 lists going! #NoBoys
    I agree and 03 and 04 Lists have started off great. Nice work by those authors but I can't help but be selfish and think why can't the 02's get it going considering the List guy is an 02 parent. Just saying. Does that mean the 02 List guy is a freshmen parent?? The eighth grade parents need attention too.

Comment

GU13 Weekend Preview (9/2-9/4)

Can we say STARS CUP MADNESS!!!!! With 5 of our 6 "List" teams in action this weekend at the same tournament, it could really help to get a much truer sense of where these teams line-up, not only locally with each other, but also in the region with many of the big boys (or should I say big girls?) playing in their respective brackets.

So it seems the Stars Cup schedule makers were careful to place 4 of these teams all in their own separate brackets in the top 2 Premiership Divisions (with GPS NPL getting relegated to Championship Division).

It would of course be nirvana to see all 4 of these teams come out of their brackets, and give us 2 awesome local final showdowns. But, of course with the likes of PDA, Albertson, Matchfit, World Class, SDFC, East Meadow et al, vying for bracket supremacy, we might be lucky to see ONE of these four make it to finals.

1. SSS AP draws NJ Stallions NPL, Seacoast United NPL, and CFC Pre-ECNL

2. FC Stars Pre-ECNL gets World Class Pre-ECNL, Match Fit Pre-ECNL, and Eclipse Black Pre-ECNL

3. NEFC/Breakers NPL take on SDFC, Albertson Fury Pre-ECNL, and FSA Pre-ECNL

4. FC Boston get Top Hat Pre-ECNL, PDA Lyon, and East Meadow

5. Aztec NPL is off this weekend (and perhaps licking some wounds from Spirit Cup?)

As of yet unranked GPS NPL starts up their season in the Championship division, and will face off against a bit easier draw of Smithtown Cosmos, FC Stars NPL, and STA NPL

Because of the birth year changes, and new team make-ups, its hard to REALLY know which of these teams got the toughest/easiest draws (excluding Aztec and GPS), because all these "teams" have traditionally been very strong, and juggernauts at the top of these regional tournaments. Although we may not even get one local match-up of "List" teams this weekend, I think we'll get a better idea of who is looking strongest heading into league play, and which teams that the birth years change helped and hurt the most.

What I do know is this ... Saturday and Sunday at Progin Park will be an awesome chance to catch most of the top GU13 teams in our region battling it out side-by-side in one game after another. Even if your kid's team is not there, I'd still want to check it out. Excited for some good soccer this weekend (and not just in this age group either, that GU14 age group will be hot stuff too!!) Good luck to all the teams!

Comment

GU13 Weekend Preview (9/2-9/4)

Can we say STARS CUP MADNESS!!!!! With 5 of our 6 "List" teams in action this weekend at the same tournament, it could really help to get a much truer sense of where these teams line-up, not only locally with each other, but also in the region with many of the big boys (or should I say big girls?) playing in their respective brackets.

So it seems the Stars Cup schedule makers were careful to place 4 of these teams all in their own separate brackets in the top 2 Premiership Divisions (with GPS NPL getting relegated to Championship Division).

It would of course be nirvana to see all 4 of these teams come out of their brackets, and give us 2 awesome local final showdowns. But, of course with the likes of PDA, Albertson, Matchfit, World Class, SDFC, East Meadow et al, vying for bracket supremacy, we might be lucky to see ONE of these four make it to finals.

1. SSS AP draws NJ Stallions NPL, Seacoast United NPL, and CFC Pre-ECNL

2. FC Stars Pre-ECNL gets World Class Pre-ECNL, Match Fit Pre-ECNL, and Eclipse Black Pre-ECNL

3. NEFC/Breakers NPL take on SDFC, Albertson Fury Pre-ECNL, and FSA Pre-ECNL

4. FC Boston get Top Hat Pre-ECNL, PDA Lyon, and East Meadow

5. Aztec NPL is off this weekend (and perhaps licking some wounds from Spirit Cup?)

As of yet unranked GPS NPL starts up their season in the Championship division, and will face off against a bit easier draw of Smithtown Cosmos, FC Stars NPL, and STA NPL

Because of the birth year changes, and new team make-ups, its hard to REALLY know which of these teams got the toughest/easiest draws (excluding Aztec and GPS), because all these "teams" have traditionally been very strong, and juggernauts at the top of these regional tournaments. Although we may not even get one local match-up of "List" teams this weekend, I think we'll get a better idea of who is looking strongest heading into league play, and which teams that the birth years change helped and hurt the most.

What I do know is this ... Saturday and Sunday at Progin Park will be an awesome chance to catch most of the top GU13 teams in our region battling it out side-by-side in one game after another. Even if your kid's team is not there, I'd still want to check it out. Excited for some good soccer this weekend (and not just in this age group either, that GU14 age group will be hot stuff too!!) Good luck to all the teams!
        Great preview! And yes, I'm planning on catching as many of these teams play Saturday at Progin Park. I will enjoy watching a great match-up every hour on the hour from breakfast through dinner. Might need some Red Bull!

Comment

I agree and 03 and 04 Lists have started off great. Nice work by those authors but I can't help but be selfish and think why can't the 02's get it going considering the List guy is an 02 parent. Just saying. Does that mean the 02 List guy is a freshmen parent?? The eighth grade parents need attention too.
          We all agree, but to this poster, read the post you replied to more carefully. That post was from 02 List Guy. Dudes a TS addict, he'll be back

Comment

02 List Guy was our inspiration here and I'm very humbled he has blessed our 04 (and also the 03) lists. I think he is struggling with a place to start with his list, and that could mean his daughter is a High School 02 not even playing club right now, or it could just mean, he's waiting for some significant results first (results move the list afterall 😉)

Comment

List guy may need to wait another few weeks to separate the wheat from the chaff for the 2004s:
              Stars, FC Boston, NEFC, SSS and GPS all lost at least one game Saturday against some great out-of-state teams, and it's possible none advance to the finals.

Comment

List guy may need to wait another few weeks to separate the wheat from the chaff for the 2004s:
                Stars, FC Boston, NEFC, SSS and GPS all lost at least one game Saturday against some great out-of-state teams, and it's possible none advance to the finals.
                This guy had it right. It was a very tough weekend to sort out the list for this week, and sadly we got no head-to-head match-ups between our top teams in any finals. Not only that, we did not get ONE of our top 5 teams playing in Stars Cup into a division final game. (Perhaps Aztecs were right in following the aged old motto of "it's better to not try, and fail, than to ever to try at all." Um wait... anyway, I digress).

But in the end, a list must go on, and after taking a little time to dig deeper, and personally watching good portion of the 04 games this weekend at Stars Cup, I think I maybe came up with a list with SOME basic rationale behind it.

I know, I know, I don't still instill too much confidence do I? Regardless ... here goes...

The 04 List
                Week ending 9/4

1. Stars Pre-ECNL
                3. SSS AP (TIE)
                3. NEFC/ Breakers NPL (TIE)
                4. FC Boston ECNL
                5. GPS NPL
                6. Aztecs NPL

Logic and Notes

- I was obviously joking about the Aztecs motto above, and The List takes notice that they skipped what has basically become the biggest and best pre-season tournament in New England. Best in terms of teams attending and quality competition, NOT on ease of parking (Jeezus Jezebel, there were more players crawling under the fence to make their games, that I was half expecting Trump to show up). But I digress again... Aztecs should have been there. You wanna hang with the big boys, you actually need to play with the big boys. So my very personally biased motto applies here ... "You snooze, you lose." At least all the other teams showed up and played. Strait to the bottom for Aztecs this week.

- Stars gets the top notch this week (Their striker is back). They blew their chance at making the finals right off the bat with an ugly loss to World Class. They had that game within their grasp, and let it slip away (Bad ref calls are NOT an excuse accepted by The List. That is just more blah, blah, blah). Slow starts can burn you in a tournament, and this one did. But they got their ball rolling downhill the rest of the way, and handled the other two teams easily. 2 Quality wins and 9 GF and 3 GA and they earn top honors for this week.

- There is a tie this week and this is why. SSS AP drops because they not only lost 2 games this weekend and had -2 GD on the tournament, they lost to Seacoast United NPL. According to many, SSS was going to show up and dominate those New England NPL teams this year. I guess playing 2 ages up in MAPLE is still not enough to prepare them to dominate anything yet. Its early, and things can change, but they take a hit locally this week, and have to share 3rd place.

- NEFC/Breakers can't snag the 2nd spot either because of a deja vu type Sunday this weekend. Once again they look impressive on Saturday at a tournament. They handle SDFC easily, and took a very tough Albertson Fury to the last 10 seconds before losing on a free kick. They still were out of the Finals with that loss, but all they had to do was put away FSA on Sunday to claim the #2 spot here. On paper that should have happened, but just like last weekend, what was "on paper" was not how the game played out. They let a game they dominated on the field, get away from them. A 2-2 tie is just not good enough to overtake SSS AP on this week's list, especially when it felt like another loss. Still strong enough of a weekend to tie for #3, but they better figure out how to win those games they dominate, or they will have a very frustrating season.

- FC Boston went 0-0-3 on the tournament with only 1 goal scored. But they get the nod over GPS because of the obvious strength of schedule. Tophat, PDA, and East Meadow are formidable competition (With Tophat winning it all in Premiership Blue), but FCB still had the roughest win-loss weekend of the whole bunch and will be looking to win a game (any game) soon.

- GPS NPL - 1-1-1 in the easier Championship bracket is not impressive enough to be ranked higher, but they still showed up (and not sandbag in their own GPS Tournament down the road), so kudos and points for that. Nice 2-0 win over Stars NPL though.

Next week, league play starts for some, while others wish it did! To quote our List mentor..."Results Move The List"

Comment

This guy had it right. It was a very tough weekend to sort out the list for this week, and sadly we got no head-to-head match-ups between our top teams in any finals. Not only that, we did not get ONE of our top 5 teams playing in Stars Cup into a division final game. (Perhaps Aztecs were right in following the aged old motto of "it's better to not try, and fail, than to ever to try at all." Um wait... anyway, I digress).

But in the end, a list must go on, and after taking a little time to dig deeper, and personally watching good portion of the 04 games this weekend at Stars Cup, I think I maybe came up with a list with SOME basic rationale behind it.

I know, I know, I don't still instill too much confidence do I? Regardless ... here goes...

The 04 List
                  Week ending 9/4

1. Stars Pre-ECNL
                  3. SSS AP (TIE)
                  4. FC Boston ECNL
                  5. GPS NPL
                  6. Aztecs NPL

Logic and Notes

- I was obviously joking about the Aztecs motto above, and The List takes notice that they skipped what has basically become the biggest and best pre-season tournament in New England. Best in terms of teams attending and quality competition, NOT on ease of parking (Jeezus Jezebel, there were more players crawling under the fence to make their games, that I was half expecting Trump to show up). But I digress again... Aztecs should have been there. You wanna hang with the big boys, you actually need to play with the big boys. So my very personally biased motto applies here ... "You snooze, you lose." At least all the other teams showed up and played. Strait to the bottom for Aztecs this week.

- Stars gets the top notch this week (Their striker is back). They blew their chance at making the finals right off the bat with an ugly loss to World Class. They had that game within their grasp, and let it slip away (Bad ref calls are NOT an excuse accepted by The List. That is just more blah, blah, blah). Slow starts can burn you in a tournament, and this one did. But they got their ball rolling downhill the rest of the way, and handled the other two teams easily. 2 Quality wins and 9 GF and 3 GA and they earn top honors for this week.

- There is a tie this week and this is why. SSS AP drops because they not only lost 2 games this weekend and had -2 GD on the tournament, they lost to Seacoast United NPL. According to many, SSS was going to show up and dominate those New England NPL teams this year. I guess playing 2 ages up in MAPLE is still not enough to prepare them to dominate anything yet. Its early, and things can change, but they take a hit locally this week, and have to share 3rd place.

- NEFC/Breakers can't snag the 2nd spot either because of a deja vu type Sunday this weekend. Once again they look impressive on Saturday at a tournament. They handle SDFC easily, and took a very tough Albertson Fury to the last 10 seconds before losing on a free kick. They still were out of the Finals with that loss, but all they had to do was put away FSA on Sunday to claim the #2 spot here. On paper that should have happened, but just like last weekend, what was "on paper" was not how the game played out. They let a game they dominated on the field, get away from them. A 2-2 tie is just not good enough to overtake SSS AP on this week's list, especially when it felt like another loss. Still strong enough of a weekend to tie for #3, but they better figure out how to win those games they dominate, or they will have a very frustrating season.

- FC Boston went 0-0-3 on the tournament with only 1 goal scored. But they get the nod over GPS because of the obvious strength of schedule. Tophat, PDA, and East Meadow are formidable competition (With Tophat winning it all in Premiership Blue), but FCB still had the roughest win-loss weekend of the whole bunch and will be looking to win a game (any game) soon.

- GPS NPL - 1-1-1 in the easier Championship bracket is not impressive enough to be ranked higher, but they still showed up (and not sandbag in their own GPS Tournament down the road), so kudos and points for that. Nice 2-0 win over Stars NPL though.

Next week, league play starts for some, while others wish it did! To quote our List mentor..."Results Move The List"
                  Is GPS NPL on the list because it's their top team or because they deserve to be in with the pre-ECNL group? They played in championship with Stars NPL and FC Boston NPL who were not included in the list yet are on par with GPS NPL.

Comment

03 List Guy > The List
                    Well researched with defensible logic, and your own flair.
                    We're a mess in 02. 8th-grade 9th-grade split has The Stars out of alignment; only those with GPS have direction. - with props from The List

But in the end, a list must go on, and after taking a little time to dig deeper, and The 04 List
                    Week ending 9/4

1. Stars Pre-ECNL
                    3. SSS AP (TIE)
                    4. FC Boston ECNL
                    5. GPS NPL
                    6. Aztecs NPL

Comment

Is GPS NPL on the list because it's their top team or because they deserve to be in with the pre-ECNL group? They played in championship with Stars NPL and FC Boston NPL who were not included in the list yet are on par with GPS NPL.
                      The were included in the 04 List because they are GPS's top team and play in the New England NPL with SSS, NEFC and Aztec. Stars saw fit to place them lower in their tournament (obviously not a wrong decision based on results), but for now they are included in this list. If NPL results showing they are undeserving down the road, The List can can re-evaluate the List members.

And on a side note, The 04 List appreciate props from its 02 mentor, even though you called us 03 List (At least I assume it was a mistake ;p). No hard feeling though. We all soldier on in your shadow!

Comment

The were included in the 04 List because they are GPS's top team and play in the New England NPL with SSS, NEFC and Aztec. Stars saw fit to place them lower in their tournament (obviously not a wrong decision based on results), but for now they are included in this list. If NPL results showing they are undeserving down the road, The List can can re-evaluate the List members.

And on a side note, The 04 List appreciate props from its 02 mentor, even though you called us 03 List (At least I assume it was a mistake ;p). No hard feeling though. We all soldier on in your shadow!
                        Yes. My bad, I guess I had the u13 "3" on my brain.
                        O4 List Guy > 02

Comment

Are the local Northeast NPL teams off this weekend or are they scrimmaging?

Comment

Are the local Northeast NPL teams off this weekend or are they scrimmaging?
                            The Pre-ECNL teams to be more specific.

Comment

Different age group, but I think Stars are doing a scrimmage this weekend (not sure who with, but probably one of the two teams playing at their complex this week. No clue about FCB.

Comment

The 04 List
                                Week ending 9/4

1. Stars Pre-ECNL
                                3. SSS AP (TIE)
                                4. FC Boston ECNL
                                5. GPS NPL
                                6. Aztecs NPL

Logic and Notes

Spot on list guy = Aztec bails on Memorial day and on Labor Day in two of the biggest local tournaments. Is it fear? Is it they don't want to be exposed? or is it GC not wanting his players to see real soccer?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X