X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

GPS Desperation

I'm starting to pity GPS.

The tipping point for me was their mass email about holding their own Memorial Day tournament. What a farce. Needham essentially firing GPS sends an incredibly damning message to the New England soccer community.

What club is going to click that "Register Now" button in July? That button might as well have been labeled "Panic Button."

GPS perennially loses their very best players to the Academy teams.

Then the USSDA takes advantage of GPS by allowing them to have U12 DA so the chosen clubs have another local opponent. GPS happily and blindly took the bait. The Revs then rub salt in the wound by forming an alliance with every U12 DA club other than GPS. Now the Revs and Bolts will get a great look at the best GPS kids at U12 so they can both cherry pick the talent for U13 when the GPS Academy kids are left twisting in the wind.

GPS is left to chase Gotsoccer points yet again. At least the kids get to wear cool jerseys.

I am not a big GPS fan but.... no one here actually knows what went on with Needham and GPS.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      I am not a big GPS fan but.... no one here actually knows what went on with Needham and GPS.
      Believe that is at least one person who sits on both the Needham and Bolts boards. You might start there.

Comment

Pathetic is you infatuation with GPS.

Comment

GPS is the Applebee's of youth soccer.

Comment

Perhaps not but rest assured it was about $$$$$

Comment

GPS Summer Showcase had some great upsets by a MAPLE club FC USA.
              http://events.gotsport.com/events/De...?EventID=50963
              The fun thing was when GPS did not have a good chance to win playoffs there was no semi finals they just skipped that and only had finals.

Comment

GPS is the Applebee's of youth soccer.
                Young clueless Brits posing under a Bayern Munich philosophy???? that seek to fulfill recruiting quotas rather than develop players themselves. It's all about creating giant player pools and offering watered down tournaments. All - sizzle - and - no steak!

Comment

You really are jealous of GPS

Comment

You really are jealous of GPS
                    Keep telling yourself that.

Comment

Young clueless Brits posing under a Bayern Munich philosophy???? that seek to fulfill recruiting quotas rather than develop players themselves. It's all about creating giant player pools and offering watered down tournaments. All - sizzle - and - no steak!
                      I don't know, a soccer organization with over 65,000 players across 16 States with a Bayern Munich affiliation. Call it what you want, but they must be doing something positive for youth soccer in this country.

Comment

I don't know, a soccer organization with over 65,000 players across 16 States with a Bayern Munich affiliation. Call it what you want, but they must be doing something positive for youth soccer in this country.
                        You can't be this obtuse?

Comment

Keep telling yourself that.
                          If you didn't care, then you truly wouldn't care. But you obviously care alot. Their success makes you envious and your jealousy compels you to post frequently.

Comment

Believe that is at least one person who sits on both the Needham and Bolts boards. You might start there.

I am just taking a stab at the latest legal and social issues.......

As for the first quote, Needham sought out the Bolts.

In conjunction with the second post, for GPS it is always about more and quality is second priority. Instead of letting the Needham Memorial Tournament carry on as a partnership, GPS wanted the whole thing. The Needham tournament is one of the largest tournaments in the country with more than 1000 teams. Although not the most competitive, it still has a strong foothold and tradition.

GPS was ready to do away with it and wanted MORE.

"MORE" is no different than '65,000 players across 16 states'.....most paying well more than 3000 dollars per year. That is more than 195 million dollars. I don't know what they are doing for youth soccer but the Bradley family is doing quite a bit for themselves. What I would like to know is how many on going on to play Division 1 (maybe 2 and 3) soccer and/or playing professional ball. How many GPS players are now in the Bayern Academy in Germany?

As for Bayern, do you really think that they looked at GPS and said "that is where our next stars are coming from" Bayern has affiliations with many clubs across the country. More than 1/2 of Manchester United's net is from sales and affiliations outside the stadium. Do you think that Bayern is any different. Is it possible that > 65,000 kids wearing Bayern shirts is a form a advertising....or that Bayern gets a couple of dollars per shirt for the permission to wear the emblem?

http://www.forbes.com/teams/bayern-munich/
                            Here are some pretty interesting numbers
                            Bayern Munich is worth more than 2.5 billion dollars
                            More than 1.2 billion is from Commercial sales!!!!

Bayern thanks GPS for helping out that number.
                            GPS thanks more than 65,000 kids for contributing toward GPS and Bayern.

Needham uses their fees and tournament to help fund scholarships and supports the towns fields and other sports use of them. GPS wanted to take away town revenue. Needham told GPS to go f......k themselves. Needham sought out the Bolts to assist. Yes, there is a link. However, the Bolts are not about to sap the town of Needham just to get 'MORE'

Comment

That's like saying that McDonald's must be doing something positive for nutrition in this country.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X