Hiring videographer to tape the games

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have been video recording my daughters teams games for 2 years now. Just bought a middle of the line digital recorder that had wifi capabilities and linked it to my cell phone to use as a viewer. I mount the camera on an extendable radio type antenna that can extend over 50' and the results are comparable to what you pay the pros. You get a high camera angle with the ability to control the recorder thru my cell phone (zoom and such). I've done my own highlight editing thru Mac software as well.

I had a parent send me what they paid a company to record and make a highlight video and the results were overall pretty poor in my opinion....especially considering the cost. I think many companies charge close to $800 to video tape 3 games and create a single 3 minute highlight video. Since I have the setup and editing abilities I do a lot of highlight videos for my daughters teams parents/players - I do charge them to do it since I have a substantial time commitment involved, but it's stall a fraction of what they would pay to hire a company to do the same.

Comment

Thread drift...but...anyone consider getting a drone and a Go-Pro and do aerial footage?

Talk about a why to discuss formations...

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Thread drift...but...anyone consider getting a drone and a Go-Pro and do aerial footage?

Talk about a why to discuss formations...
        There have been multiple incidents of them falling onto athletes (different sports, even a triathlete) so there could be restrictions by locale. The average amateur may have a tough time mastering holding steady etc to get the best footage. Some fields/stadiums have seating up high enough that you can get very good footage from that vantage point

Comment

There have been multiple incidents of them falling onto athletes (different sports, even a triathlete) so there could be restrictions by locale. The average amateur may have a tough time mastering holding steady etc to get the best footage. Some fields/stadiums have seating up high enough that you can get very good footage from that vantage point

OK, dumb idea by me! I'm famous for them....

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirk64 View Post
            I have been video recording my daughters teams games for 2 years now. Just bought a middle of the line digital recorder that had wifi capabilities and linked it to my cell phone to use as a viewer. I mount the camera on an extendable radio type antenna that can extend over 50' and the results are comparable to what you pay the pros. You get a high camera angle with the ability to control the recorder thru my cell phone (zoom and such). I've done my own highlight editing thru Mac software as well.

I had a parent send me what they paid a company to record and make a highlight video and the results were overall pretty poor in my opinion....especially considering the cost. I think many companies charge close to $800 to video tape 3 games and create a single 3 minute highlight video. Since I have the setup and editing abilities I do a lot of highlight videos for my daughters teams parents/players - I do charge them to do it since I have a substantial time commitment involved, but it's stall a fraction of what they would pay to hire a company to do the same.
            Did the coach ever go over the video with the kids?

Comment

Did the coach ever go over the video with the kids?
              No, recruiting purposes only.

Comment

My question is why WOULDN'T a coach go over game film, at least a couple times a season if it were available?

Comment

My question is why WOULDN'T a coach go over game film, at least a couple times a season if it were available?
                  Not the OP but I imagine it's primarily a time issue. Club coaches only have their teams for 2-3 times/week for 1 1/2 hours. HS coaches have longer sessions but not many more days (more games). I think they'd rather work on issues in real time then watch film that sometimes isn't very good quality. Our HS coach will try to get in films a few times (maybe two?) on a rainy day when they can't practice - assuming he can find a space in the school etc.

Comment

Because if they are watching the game they see the same things live. Game film is better for scouting opponents but most coaches don't care about who they are playing....they just want their team to perform at their best. In addition, many coaches have several teams they are coaching so time becomes a restriction as well.

just my opinion of course.

Comment

Originally posted by MrKirk64 View Post
                      Because if they are watching the game they see the same things live. Game film is better for scouting opponents but most coaches don't care about who they are playing....they just want their team to perform at their best. In addition, many coaches have several teams they are coaching so time becomes a restriction as well.

just my opinion of course.
                      I didn't mean for the coach to watch it to figure out what happened in the game. I was asking why the coach wouldn't want to use it to show the kids what they did right and wrong.

Wouldn't one such session pay dividends more than me lost hour of field time, i sending the video is a good quality?

Comment

The bottom line is that the coach should do it, but can't be bothered/doesn't have the time. Every team would benefit from reviewing game film but the coach gets paid the same regardless of whether they do it or not. And film review is time consuming.

Comment

Our coach did last year a few times. We watched in the hotel meeting area after a few games and had the entire team at a parents house on the big screen. It was very good for both the players and parents. The coach stop and explained what was good and what needed to be better.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X