• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My entire town got a personal invite to their tryouts. Even the B teams

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      My entire town got a personal invite to their tryouts. Even the B teams
      GPS will take anyone and everyone if they can afford it. They have a place for everyone. Zero skill required

Comment

GPS will take anyone and everyone if they can afford it. They have a place for everyone. Zero skill required
        As with any club today

Comment

I agree with this. You just need to assess what your kid wants and what dedication level is and what their potential COULD be.

I'd say if your kid is very soccer oriented and dedicated, but their ability puts them at bottom of your town B team, I'd say stick it out in town until you see them make their way to at least the top of the B team before even thinking about moving on to Club. However, likewise, if your kid is a good quality A player but is not committed to soccer or really interested in getting any better, I wouldn't bother with Club either. On the converse if you have a dedicated, committed soccer player at the top your town A team, I'd be looking to push them to club much earlier.
          If your child is the top player on a town A team how do you, as a non soccer literate parent, decide whether to join a small club or make that drive up 95 to the most competitive club you can find?

Comment

If your child is the top player on a town A team how do you, as a non soccer literate parent, decide whether to join a small club or make that drive up 95 to the most competitive club you can find?
            Jump into a practice session for each and ask plenty of questions.
            Your child will generally tell you what fits them best.

Comment

We started club soccer when my son asked, which was U11.

This was after a year of him practicing on his own, hours a day, just for the fun of it.

His ball skills improved significantly.

I'm glad we waited.

Club is a nearly year round commitment. He also plays town/travel in Fall and Spring. And he plays on a Winter indoor team. Add in camps, goalkeeping clinics etc., and that's a whole lot of soccer.

I worry about burnout.

He was recently out for over a week due to an adductor pull.

I worry about injuries; especially overuse injuries.

As others have said, if your kid is a strong player and really interested in the idea; then look into it.

If not, have him/her working on his/her ball skills.

It's a huge financial and time commitment. If your kid is not that interested, it isn't worth it.

However, if your kid LOVES soccer and wants to play ALL the time; give it a try.

I'm glad we waited because my son really loves it and puts so much into it.

Had I enrolled him before he asked, he may not have enjoyed or appreciated it as much.

Many clubs have Winter clinics and/or open houses. Maybe try out one of those before deciding.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
              Auto-Saved
              x
              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
              x
              Working...
              X