Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Town Soccer Question - But not what you think

So I have a question that is club focused but with a town slant. Are there specific towns that have reputations as being top feeders of elite talent into the stronger club programs ? Not a question of who has the best town team, but rather the best talent long term. Just curious as to what folks think or know.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    So I have a question that is club focused but with a town slant. Are there specific towns that have reputations as being top feeders of elite talent into the stronger club programs ? Not a question of who has the best town team, but rather the best talent long term. Just curious as to what folks think or know.
    I am not really too familiar with Mass towns, but couldn't you just look at the high school teams and who is consistently at the top level?

Comment

I am not really too familiar with Mass towns, but couldn't you just look at the high school teams and who is consistently at the top level?
      Well the question i posed was more what towns (or cities) tend to develop or contribute the most elite players to the club teams...and I was under the impression that not all the top club players played high school soccer. So that probably might be a good barometer, but I wasn't sure so I posed the question a bit differently.

Comment

Well the question i posed was more what towns (or cities) tend to develop or contribute the most elite players to the club teams...and I was under the impression that not all the top club players played high school soccer. So that probably might be a good barometer, but I wasn't sure so I posed the question a bit differently.

Before I say anything, I have to ask....you are not considering moving to such a town that is a 'feeder' as you say....are you? That would be pathetic!!!

There is no great answer here even if you look at the high schools since many kids (DAP specficially) are not playing high school ball anymore. Then there are those that will input how the 'inner-city kids are under appreciated and could be great if someone would just give them a chance'.

If you are looking for training at a younger age, find a nearby club that has a good coach...and competes in competitive leagues...and/or attends competitive tournaments.....practice with your kid in the backyard....and make changes depending on how your kid does.

....and don't let your kid get pidgeon-holed into playing defense!!!!

Comment

no, no, i would never move for such a reason. It was just a question born out of curiosity after reading some of the crazy posts on this board. I Didn't know if there was any pattern of where the top players came from in the state as far as town, region etc knowing that many of the bigger clubs elite teams have very geographically diverse teams (I assumed). My young son already plays town competitive and club and he is pretty happy right now, as am I. If no one knows are has seen any such data, not a big deal and thanks for responding to my question.

Comment

Ludlow and surrounding towns are one example for you. The good players participated in 1-2 accomplished local clubs, and the high school team is a frequent state champ. But, the 2 clubs merged a few years ago, some say the merger hasn't gone well, and the HS didn't have a good system for tracking eligibility last year and had to forfeit their way out of the tournament.

New Bedford has also been excellent in the high school ranks over the years, but the players do not all gravitate to the club scene.

Nearer to Boston, Needham and Framingham probably most deserve mention. Many towns have had good runs when by chance they've had a good cohort of players, but these 2 have been more regularly strong for a longer period.

Don't be swayed by the theory that HS soccer has been negatively affected by the best players opting not to play. As it has unfolded further, the pattern seems to be that kids who don't have a particularly strong HS team are populating most (not all, of course) of the DAP rosters. Also, the number of kids involved on these DAP teams are too few to affect HS soccer overall.

Comment

Ludlow and surrounding towns are one example for you. The good players participated in 1-2 accomplished local clubs, and the high school team is a frequent state champ. But, the 2 clubs merged a few years ago, some say the merger hasn't gone well, and the HS didn't have a good system for tracking eligibility last year and had to forfeit their way out of the tournament.

New Bedford has also been excellent in the high school ranks over the years, but the players do not all gravitate to the club scene.

Nearer to Boston, Needham and Framingham probably most deserve mention. Many towns have had good runs when by chance they've had a good cohort of players, but these 2 have been more regularly strong for a longer period.

Don't be swayed by the theory that HS soccer has been negatively affected by the best players opting not to play. As it has unfolded further, the pattern seems to be that kids who don't have a particularly strong HS team are populating most (not all, of course) of the DAP rosters. Also, the number of kids involved on these DAP teams are too few to affect HS soccer overall.
              Not to mention that the most high profile player to "snub" Dap just played a massive role in the Final 4 as a sophomore.

Comment

The three Bridgewaters are soccer factories for the South Shore

Comment

Take a look at Wrentham/Medway/Franklin/Walpole/Holliston/Dover-Sherborn as well. They have great Youth and High School programs in this area of the state as well as good school systems.

Comment

I don't know about West Bridgewater but East Bridgewater and regular old Bridgewater don't produce much of anything and they're surely behind Weymouth in the south shore

Comment

Take a look at Wrentham/Medway/Franklin/Walpole/Holliston/Dover-Sherborn as well. They have great Youth and High School programs in this area of the state as well as good school systems.
                      The Franklin girls over the last five years has been the best high school program in the state.

Medway and Dover Sherborn have also been consistent for the past several years, both boys and girls.

Walpole and Holliston are a bit of a stretch to be included with those three.

And no idea how you put Wrentham in there. Has KP done anything since the girls won a state title back in 2002?

Comment

It's not a town that confers the talent. Players have talent, they have to live somewhere, and humans publicize that it's because of their town. Doesn't work that way.

Comment

The Franklin girls over the last five years has been the best high school program in the state.

Medway and Dover Sherborn have also been consistent for the past several years, both boys and girls.

Walpole and Holliston are a bit of a stretch to be included with those three.

And no idea how you put Wrentham in there. Has KP done anything since the girls won a state title back in 2002?
                          Medfield also has an excellent program, both high school and youth level. Agree that Holliston shouldn't be in the same conversation, don't know much about Walpole.

Comment

I live on the South Shore, and I can say none of the Bridgewaters would ever have come to mind as soccer powerhouses.

Comment

It's not a town that confers the talent. Players have talent, they have to live somewhere, and humans publicize that it's because of their town. Doesn't work that way.
                              Actually, in many cases it does work that way. Towns with strong youth developmental programs will have more successful players. Talent without development gets you nothing. Early development leads to more opportunities to excel early, which then leads to additional opportunities (playing on better teams, better coaching, etc).

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X