Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Breakers and NEFC player development

My daughter and her friend will try out for either Breakers or NEFC this spring. Anyone know anothing about the player development or coaching philosophy at the current u11 and u12 ages?

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    My daughter and her friend will try out for either Breakers or NEFC this spring. Anyone know anothing about the player development or coaching philosophy at the current u11 and u12 ages?
    Lunatic

Comment

You forgot to add that you are new to this and you just stumbled across this blog

Comment

The differences between the clubs now is actually pretty minimal at this point. The only real knock on the Breakers is they are still building up their coaching staff and don't always have the best and brightest working for them at every level. Think you will find that the two organizations actually get along pretty well now.

The historical issues with the Scorpions training always centered on their direct style. They always taught a rather offensive minded 1v1 style that doesn't necessarily translate with what college coaches are looking for these days. Wins a lot of U11-12 soccer games though.

Comment

Thanks. And I'm a couple months new to this board but after reading so many bashing posts I don't know what to think. Far as I can tell both teams and Stars are good options. Friend's parent ruled out Stars and the girls would like to play for the same club. I am getting more information before we make an expensive choice. Player development at the younger age probably depends on great coaching, so I thought I would ask.

Comment

The differences between the clubs now is actually pretty minimal at this point. The only real knock on the Breakers is they are still building up their coaching staff and don't always have the best and brightest working for them at every level. Think you will find that the two organizations actually get along pretty well now.

The historical issues with the Scorpions training always centered on their direct style. They always taught a rather offensive minded 1v1 style that doesn't necessarily translate with what college coaches are looking for these days. Wins a lot of U11-12 soccer games though.
            Thanks, BTNT. Your assessments are as good as gold.

Comment

Thanks. And I'm a couple months new to this board but after reading so many bashing posts I don't know what to think. Far as I can tell both teams and Stars are good options. Friend's parent ruled out Stars and the girls would like to play for the same club. I am getting more information before we make an expensive choice. Player development at the younger age probably depends on great coaching, so I thought I would ask.
              Yes, BTDT, with all of your bashing, things can get confusing. Good luck!

Comment

This is not a knock on Breakers, but the coaching philosophy is very different between the two clubs. NEFC focuses on the technical part of the game at younger ages and do a lot of coerver drills. They offer several technical training sessions during the week at no extra cost. Their coaching staff is unparalleled, with many of them either being ex professionals or college players.

Comment

What is the alternative to a 1v1 style? And by offensive minded, do you mean attacking? We ruled out another club based on the kids showing a lack of offensive skills. 1v1 the kids passed and didn't seem to know how to get by 1 defender. The team also never scored during the game we saw. I was looking for a team to teach 1v1 skills and attacking. Is there a preferred alternative to that style?

Comment

What is the alternative to a 1v1 style? And by offensive minded, do you mean attacking? We ruled out another club based on the kids showing a lack of offensive skills. 1v1 the kids passed and didn't seem to know how to get by 1 defender. The team also never scored during the game we saw. I was looking for a team to teach 1v1 skills and attacking. Is there a preferred alternative to that style?
                    FM was a big believer in diva ball. 90% of his practices were about drilling that 1v1 encounter. When you have a top level player like a Caldwel or Mewis it works great but otherwise it just builds players who keep their heads down and don't pass. There are other ways to build an attack that don't sacrifice the midfield and ignore defense like his did.

Comment

That guy is a dinosaur who literally almost destroyed the club. You can't view the current Breakers organization with him as the prototypical coach because they are much better than that.

Comment

Nothing like NTNT ragging on FM and Breakers. This guy has got stamina like nobody's business.

Comment

talking-soccer

FM was a big believer in diva ball. 90% of his practices were about drilling that 1v1 encounter. When you have a top level player like a Caldwel or Mewis it works great but otherwise it just builds players who keep their heads down and don't pass. There are other ways to build an attack that don't sacrifice the midfield and ignore defense like his did.
                          THANK YOU Anson Dorrance!

Comment

Quote:
                            Originally Posted by Unregistered View Post

Not sure who the coach is as these ages. FM is all about possession and his practices emphasize passing to feet and moving without the ball, almost to the detriment of 1v1 attacking (at U13 and U14). However the club style may vary by coach. NEFC on the other hand is more about playing direct and attacking 1v1.

Each poster will have his/her preferences regarding coaches and styles. Check it out and see which is the best fit.

Good luck

Comment

Fred don't you mean your practices are all about ball hogging?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X