Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Congrats.

But giving up on the college education for a small salary, not sure that's the advice I would give my son.

best of luck though

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      Congrats.

But giving up on the college education for a small salary, not sure that's the advice I would give my son.

best of luck though
      No kidding. Great if that's what he really wants, but we all know the statistics.

Comment

D1
        Demetri Kostakis-FC Stars-Andover- Air Force Academy
        Trevor Davock-NEFC-Rivers-Boston College
        Corin Kwasnik-NMH-Boston University
        Charlie Booth-FC Stars-Concord Carlisle-Bryant
        Brendan Robinson-NEFC-Medway-Bryant
        Neeraj Mahey-Bolts-Acton-Colgate
        Ryan Bellavance-FC Blazers-Rivers-Colgate
        Steve Deleo-Bolts/FC Blazers-Acton-Colgate
        Aram Ouligian-FC Blazers-Needham-Colgate
        Dylan Mott-Revs-Philips Andover Acad-Columbia
        Ben Nicholas-Beachside-NMH-UConn
        Jimmy Coyle-Berkshire-Elon
        Justin Donawa-Berkshire-Dartmouth
        Amadu Kunateh-Revs-Lawrence Academy-Dartmouth
        Kyle Ryan-Bolts-Westford-George Mason
        Clayton Hafer-Bolts-Bedford-Holy Cross
        Garrett Leahy-FC Stars-Concord Carlisle-Holy Cross
        Eoin Houlihan-Bolts-North Andover-Holy Cross
        Matt Morana-Revs-Shrewsbury-Lehigh
        Kevin Boino-Western-Wahconah-UMass
        Suri Chavali-Revs-Brookline-UMass
        Matt Tornaritis-FC Stars-Groton Dunstable-UML
        Adam Norman-NEFC-Wellesley-UNH
        Bryant Nardizzi - Revs - Framingham - NC State
        Denis Martinez- Bolts-Chelsea-Northeastern
        Adam Gibbs -Bolts-Westboro-Northeastern
        Mohamed Kenawy-Bolts-Boston-Northeastern
        Alex Reissmann-Cushing-Northeastern
        Emmett Gordon-Valeo FC-Belmont Hill-Northwestern
        Steven Kilday-Crusaders-Worcester Academy-Providence
        Keith Dixon-FC Blazers-Amherst-URI
        Austin Aviza-Revs-Medway-Syracuse
        Miles Robinson-Bolts-Arlington-Syracuse
        Jack Harrison-Manhattan PSG-Berkshire-Wake Forest
        Lucas Wartella-Black Watch-Monument Mtn HS-WVU

D2

Zachary Rowell-Aztecs-St John's Prep-Assumption
        Tyler Castor - Worcester Academy - Assumption

D3

Fikayo Ajayi - Arsenal Youth Academy - Deerfield - Amherst
        Chris Lewis - MPS- Milton - Amherst
        Connor Horan-?-Norwell-Bates
        Jake Stenquist-FC Stars-Rivers-Bowdoin
        CJ Masterson- Bruno United-Barrington/NMH-Bowdoin
        Julian Feshbach-Meriney-FC Stars- Concord Carlisle-Clark
        Jeff Lin-NEFC-Rivers-Colby
        Cam Clouse - GPS-Worcester Academy-Colby
        Tim Hilbrunner-FC Stars-Groton Dunstable-Conn College
        Ben Manoogian-FC Stars-Peabody-Conn College
        Greg Evans - FC Blazers - Hamilton
        Brice Koval - MPS - Worcester Academy - Kenyon College
        Eric Gooden-Western-Amherst/NMH-Wesleyan
        Komar Martinez-Paiz-Manhattan PSG-Berkshire-Wesleyan

Comment

Nice. Let's hope it works for him.

Comment

Congrats.

best of luck though
            $60K is better than most college graduates make

Comment

$60K is better than most college graduates make
              Short sighted much? Even if he manages to reach $100k in a few years (stays healthy, doesn't get cut) the statistics on how much more college grads make vs HS is staggering. If he wants to go back to school at some point he'll have to pay out of pocket from those earnings.

Comment

Short sighted much? Even if he manages to reach $100k in a few years (stays healthy, doesn't get cut) the statistics on how much more college grads make vs HS is staggering. If he wants to go back to school at some point he'll have to pay out of pocket from those earnings.
                Not sure how much... but he's getting "education funds"

Comment

Not sure how much... but he's getting "education funds"
                  $200k worth? Unlikely.

I don't wish anyone ill will. If this is his dream, great for him and I hope he succeeds. But as another said the odds of success are so slim and he could have written his own college ticket. I can't help but wonder what kind of counseling he was getting on making this critical decision.

Comment

$200k worth? Unlikely.

I don't wish anyone ill will. If this is his dream, great for him and I hope he succeeds. But as another said the odds of success are so slim and he could have written his own college ticket. I can't help but wonder what kind of counseling he was getting on making this critical decision.
                    Today's generation will have 50 years of a working life to figure out what is "best for them". This young man has the unique opportunity today to be a professional athlete....why not chase his dream and have no regrets that he passed. He still has ample time in 3 or 4 or however many years to chart another path if it doesn't work out....after all 50 years is a long time. Most on this board would have loved to have had this choice and most would have chosen the same path. Congratulations to him and best of luck.

Comment

Today's generation will have 50 years of a working life to figure out what is "best for them". This young man has the unique opportunity today to be a professional athlete....why not chase his dream and have no regrets that he passed. He still has ample time in 3 or 4 or however many years to chart another path if it doesn't work out....after all 50 years is a long time. Most on this board would have loved to have had this choice and most would have chosen the same path. Congratulations to him and best of luck.

Obviously such decisions need to be individualized and any response on TS is reflecting the individual responder and not the person who might be described. Missed opportunities are multi-way streets. Sure, if playing professional soccer is a dream then a kid should take the opportunity and, if successful, then great. Such kids are the exception and not the rule. For most, the missed opportunity might come at turning down a great college education and scholarship, or, perhaps a different job with greater security. Just the same as if one were to turn down a professional soccer contract, the same ripple effect occurs with other opportunities. it is easy enough to say 'they have 50 years', but, in practice, it is not such an easy reality. It might be a bigger ripple of issues as they get older and don't have a high level education.....statistically speaking..

Comment

Obviously such decisions need to be individualized and any response on TS is reflecting the individual responder and not the person who might be described. Missed opportunities are multi-way streets. Sure, if playing professional soccer is a dream then a kid should take the opportunity and, if successful, then great. Such kids are the exception and not the rule. For most, the missed opportunity might come at turning down a great college education and scholarship, or, perhaps a different job with greater security. Just the same as if one were to turn down a professional soccer contract, the same ripple effect occurs with other opportunities. it is easy enough to say 'they have 50 years', but, in practice, it is not such an easy reality. It might be a bigger ripple of issues as they get older and don't have a high level education.....statistically speaking..
                        Statistically speaking 1 out of 100,000 may have this opportunity, thus obviously is it reflective of my very average soccer skills from which I give my opinion. Since 99.99% (like myself and the rest of the great unwashed) won't ever have this choice the decision is easier, not easy, but certainly easier made. Don't know the player personally, but congratulations to him and good luck....if he's chasing his dream, then go for it because the powers that be have said you have the talent to make the attempt. Statistically speaking going to college will help one earn a living, but there is no guarantee if it will and at what level. Life is full of choices and I hope his is fruitful.

Comment

If you are an aspiring computer programmer and Microsoft came into your child's HS class and offered him $60K to work for them while still be able to continue their education on line and at their expense, are you telling me that you would tell your kid to say no? (I believe the DOD actually does this). An education is $100K and can be obtained while working, so what if this work is playing soccer and following a dream that may or may not come to fruition. As the saying goes, you don't score goals if you don't take a shot.

Comment

If you are an aspiring computer programmer and Microsoft came into your child's HS class and offered him $60K to work for them while still be able to continue their education on line and at their expense, are you telling me that you would tell your kid to say no? (I believe the DOD actually does this). An education is $100K and can be obtained while working, so what if this work is playing soccer and following a dream that may or may not come to fruition. As the saying goes, you don't score goals if you don't take a shot.
                            Yes. Microsoft is half dead

Comment

National Player of the Year who plays for a MA ISL school, but really an English kid. Congrats anyway.

An epic journey to HS soccer’s top honor
                              Article Written by J.R. Eskilson
                              Published: May 14, 2015
                              Comments
                              Sometimes, it is the unexpected journey that offers the most rewarding outcome.

On Tuesday, that rang true for Berkshire School’s Jack Harrison. The talented midfielder from England was awarded the 2014-2015 Gatorade National Boys Soccer Player of the Year, a prestigious honor handed out to the best high school soccer player each season.

How Harrison ended up receiving such an award is an equally epic tale.

Harrison’s soccer odyssey begins with Manchester United, a destination that most players can only dream of ending their careers at. At six years old, he was identified and brought into the Red Devils youth setup with the goal of helping him develop. With the esteemed name, also came an unworldly amount of pressure on the young players there. Harrison did well on the field there, but it was not quite the perfect fit.

“It was a rigorous schedule with the training and school and I was trying to balance that,” Harrison told TopDrawerSoccer during a phone interview on Tuesday. “When I was 11 or 12 years old, my mom started to look for other options. She found this scholarship program that helped kids from England get an education in the States.”

Harrison’s mom explored this path, but the program did not take children under the age of 14. He waited until his first year of high school before making the jump from the high-pressure fields of England to the nurturing environment of a boarding school.

His destination was still to be determined though.

“There was another school in Tennessee that was part of this scholarship program,” Harrison said about when the day came for him to explore his options in the States. “We both decided to visit just one school because it was so expensive.”

Harrison and his mother select Berkshire School, a boarding school in Sheffield, Massachusetts with enrollment of 392 students. It’s a small blip on the map, but it was a honing light for Harrison.

“I fell in love with the campus immediately,” Harrison said. “It was very exciting to be out here.”

Harrison quickly emerged as a standout on the field and grew as a person in the classroom as well.

“During my research for this, I kept hearing the same things from opposing coaches. Jack [Harrison] is a pitbull on the field, but an absolute gentleman off of it,” Taylor Twellman, the presenter of the award on Tuesday, told TopDrawerSoccer. “He is someone who is really well liked and respected.”

Twellman lauded the humbleness of the young man, who he said was quick to give credit where it was due for this honor.

“That was one of the things that Jack spoke of very early on, the school,” Twellman said. “It was about the school.”

It was a school that welcomed him with open arms four years ago, and a place where he built relationships that will last a lifetime.

“All of my success with my roommate [Justin Donawa],” Harrison said when asked about his favorite memory for his time in high school. “Being with my roommate and winning the [New England Class A] Championship for the past three seasons . . . it doesn’t happen very often.”

It’s easy to take that type of success for granted, but Harrison said that Donawa was there to keep pushing him. The friendship paid off for both as Donawa has already made his debut for the Bermuda Men’s National Team and will be heading to Dartmouth to play in the fall.

The journey was not always easy though for Harrison. He left behind life in England to move to another country in his formidable teenage years.

“It was definitely hard to leave my mom,” Harrison said. “It was hard for us both to make that transition.”

Harrison’s mom is a single-mother and Jack is her only child. “Without my mom, I wouldn’t have been able to do this,” Harrison said.

“It’s hard for her to understand how big this is,” Harrison said when asked about telling his mom about the award. “I think she has some idea. I think she knows with all of this commotion.”

Outside of his comfort zone, Harrison grew into a player that stood out as the best in the country and is headed to Wake Forest in the fall as one of the key pieces of a standout recruiting class.

His determination on the field made him a nationally recognized name. His humbleness in the hallways left his legacy with Berkshire.

Comment

Colgate taking players that are marginal D1 Talent with the exception of Needham player
                                AO.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X