Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I believe the City already went the Eminent Domain route and failed. It's their property, they can do what they want with it- they aren't required to sell just because you and a bunch of other 'fans' want to paint your blubber purple and throw smoke bombs.
    OC the purple scarf trick often works. Offer the church one of your purple scarfs

Comment

Good information. May the truth set us all free.

Comment

More information

Comment

More information
          interesting

Comment

Scott Maxwell - Orlando Sentinel Column 4/25/14

Soccer, basketball, lies, public money all mix in Orlando

Suddenly, Orange County leaders are worried they got snookered in the new soccer stadium deal. Yeah, they did. But what else is new? The concerns seem a day late and $84 million short.

Don't get me wrong, Commissioner Ted Edwards is right to feel misled.
            Major League Soccer claimed it would only award soccer franchises to cities that built "intimate" soccer-specific stadiums. Yet MLS just awarded a franchise to Atlanta — where the soccer team shares a massive 65,000-seat football stadium with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Intimate indeed.
            Obviously, the soccer-only-stadium requirement was a bunch of malarkey.
            But you know what? We already knew that.
            Several other franchises — including the league's most successful team, the Seattle Sounders — already share stadiums with other teams.

I knew the league's claim was bunk. So did anyone else who bothered to pay attention.
            But Orlando and Orange County leaders played dumb, happy to live by the league's phony rules.
            So now, our community is in the midst of spending $207 million renovating a stadium that has no team (the Citrus Bowl) — and building a separate stadium for another team.
            Smart cities have two teams in one stadium. We'll have two stadiums and one team. Nicely played, Orlando.
            Listen, Orlando still got a relatively good deal on soccer. The taxpayers' half of the $84 million stadium is a pretty cheap price for a new major-league sport — especially compared to the $400 million (plus interest) taxpayers had to cough up when the Magic demanded a new arena.
            The deal is done. And it's actually OK. There's little sense relitigating it now.
            Still, it'd be nice if local leaders did their homework about what's really required before they start handing over the public's money.

Comment

Suddenly, Orange County leaders are worried they got snookered in the new soccer stadium deal. Yeah, they did. But what else is new? The concerns seem a day late and $84 million short.

Major League Soccer claimed it would only award soccer franchises to cities that built "intimate" soccer-specific stadiums. Yet MLS just awarded a franchise to Atlanta — where the soccer team shares a massive 65,000-seat football stadium with the NFL's Atlanta Falcons.

Intimate indeed.
              Several other franchises — including the league's most successful team, the Seattle Sounders — already share stadiums with other teams.

I knew the league's claim was bunk. So did anyone else who bothered to pay attention.
              But Orlando and Orange County leaders played dumb, happy to live by the league's phony rules.
              So now, our community is in the midst of spending $207 million renovating a stadium that has no team (the Citrus Bowl) — and building a separate stadium for another team.
              Smart cities have two teams in one stadium. We'll have two stadiums and one team. Nicely played, Orlando.
              Listen, Orlando still got a relatively good deal on soccer. The taxpayers' half of the $84 million stadium is a pretty cheap price for a new major-league sport — especially compared to the $400 million (plus interest) taxpayers had to cough up when the Magic demanded a new arena.
              The deal is done. And it's actually OK. There's little sense relitigating it now.
              Still, it'd be nice if local leaders did their homework about what's really required before they start handing over the public's money.
              The leadership of Ocity MLS and OCYS are intertwined. This is a major business venture with the single purpose of enhancing the profit and value of their MLS franchise (i.e. - Corporate Soccer).

Support the clubs in the "coalition". Youth soccer is about youth learning and loving the game and not about corporate greed.

Comment

Intimate indeed.

http://www.orlandosentinel.com/news/...46,full.column

Comment

Intimate indeed.

There are only 8 words in the column that mean anything. "The deal is done. And it's actually OK." MLS is a good thing for Orlando. The soccer-specific stadium is the right way to do MLS. The only ones on this site arguing against that are just FKK'ng short-sighted simpletons. Look beyond your U-whatever daughter's lost year at OC and move on.

Comment

There are only 8 words in the column that mean anything. "The deal is done. And it's actually OK." MLS is a good thing for Orlando. The soccer-specific stadium is the right way to do MLS. The only ones on this site arguing against that are just FKK'ng short-sighted simpletons. Look beyond your U-whatever daughter's lost year at OC and move on.
                    The article identifies a pattern. The pattern of OCity and OCYS to only tell part of the story that suits them. Half truths and omissions of facts and details is the business methodology of OCity and OCYS.

Enjoy the scarves, purple smoke and lying!

Comment

Actually the people that believe that MLS is good for Orlando is just a small section of the population of the central florida area. Most people in Orlando could care less about soccer, and very few are on this site. If it was only news on this site then the local media wouldn't be reporting on it. It is done, but if had to be done over again how would the vote go. OC is lucky that the Atlanta announcement didn't come first. I'm not sure they would be getting their taxpayer paid for SSS.

Comment

If it's such a great deal, why did PHIL HAVE TO LIE ABOUT IT?

"Move on"? Yeah, that's what thieves and liars say when caught. "Nothing to see here, it's just those FKKers who don't want MLS." What a phony Koolaid-stained bootlicker you are.

Comment

Otown sports

It is a sad day in Orlando when the Magic are the most ethical professional sports franchise in town.

At least they were honest and admitted they would suck this year in the hope of winning the ping-pong ball lottery in the NBA draft.

Comment

If it's such a great deal, why did PHIL HAVE TO LIE ABOUT IT?

"Move on"? Yeah, that's what thieves and liars say when caught. "Nothing to see here, it's just those FKKers who don't want MLS." What a phony Koolaid-stained bootlicker you are.
                            Sorry, I know you would like to believe that only OC believes in MLS, but you're wrong. I have nothing to do with OCYS, and I could not care less about Phil or anyone else in that organization. In fact it's likely that my kid my try out at FKK this year. All I'm saying is MLS is a good thing for Orlando, and the soccer specific stadium is he right way to do MLS. It's that simple. Take off your hate-stained blinders and look at the bigger picture. MLS, just like the Performing Arts Center, will help Orlando become a greater metropolitan destination. I'm sorry your daughter isn't playing ECNL anymore, I agree what happened was a travesty, but grow up and get over it.

Comment

Sorry, I know you would like to believe that only OC believes in MLS, but you're wrong. I have nothing to do with OCYS, and I could not care less about Phil or anyone else in that organization. In fact it's likely that my kid my try out at FKK this year. All I'm saying is MLS is a good thing for Orlando, and the soccer specific stadium is he right way to do MLS. It's that simple. Take off your hate-stained blinders and look at the bigger picture. MLS, just like the Performing Arts Center, will help Orlando become a greater metropolitan destination. I'm sorry your daughter isn't playing ECNL anymore, I agree what happened was a travesty, but grow up and get over it.
                              Sorry, I know you would like to believe that only FKK thinks spending millions on a tiny single-purpose stadium based on a sketchy "economic study" is stupid, but you're wrong. I have nothing to do with FKK, but I am deeply concerned that Phil and the rest of his organization have lied to line their own pockets.

All I'm saying is that a tiny minority of people think MLS will live up to the hype, and building a soccer specific stadium at the same time we pour $200 mm into the Citrus Bowl is the wrong way to do MLS. Take off your rose-colored glasses and look at the bigger picture. Neither MLS or a Performing Arts center will help Orlando become a greater metropolitan destination. Orlando is theme parks, transient foreigners and boy bands. I don't care whether anyone's daughter plays ECNL. It has nothing to do with the lies this travesty is built on.

But as long as you can paint your ass purple and throw smoke bombs on the taxpayers' dime, I guess it doesn't matter to you.

Comment

Sorry, I know you would like to believe that only FKK thinks spending millions on a tiny single-purpose stadium based on a sketchy "economic study" is stupid, but you're wrong. I have nothing to do with FKK, but I am deeply concerned that Phil and the rest of his organization have lied to line their own pockets.

All I'm saying is that a tiny minority of people think MLS will live up to the hype, and building a soccer specific stadium at the same time we pour $200 mm into the Citrus Bowl is the wrong way to do MLS. Take off your rose-colored glasses and look at the bigger picture. Neither MLS or a Performing Arts center will help Orlando become a greater metropolitan destination. Orlando is theme parks, transient foreigners and boy bands. I don't care whether anyone's daughter plays ECNL. It has nothing to do with the lies this travesty is built on.

But as long as you can paint your ass purple and throw smoke bombs on the taxpayers' dime, I guess it doesn't matter to you.
                                So you're a little narrow-minded, and a lot short-sighted, but that's okay. I have no more reason to argue with you then. "The deal is done. And it's actually okay."

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X