Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I agree with all the posts, and you all sound like educated parents, not caught up with the hype of playing up. If a kid has all the skills in the world, great, do it, but most kids could use and extra year to refine their skills and strengthen their development.

About the coaches with the egos.....we have a lot of them in South Florida. I think most of them forgot it was about the kids, and not them getting the glory. It is very hard to find a coach that is approachable and will listen the a parent, understands the game, and can reach the kids by communicating effectively.

We have a average division 1 team that might find some success this year now that all the stronger teams are playing up. Our coach put our team 11 v 11 in the preseason, but registered us 8 v 8 for the regular season. I like this approach as it will give the kids a chance to do a little of both.
    Why play 11 v 11 then go back to 8v8 to go back to 11v 11 again? it should be the other way around. Play 8v8 first half of the season. Then when the regular season is over play 11 v11. It will make the transition easier for the kids. If your going to do both that just makes more sense.

Comment

Why play 11 v 11 then go back to 8v8 to go back to 11v 11 again? it should be the other way around. Play 8v8 first half of the season. Then when the regular season is over play 11 v11. It will make the transition easier for the kids. If your going to do both that just makes more sense.
      Region B doesn't have that option. In order to play in Region Cup, the teams have to play on age, so for this group, 8v8. So much of the top temas that haven't already moved to 11v11 will be moving in the spring.... and playing both. 8v8 for region cup and 11v11 in their regular season play which runs congruently.

Comment

With your kid, it seems like it makes some sense. My son will be average height and is an average 11 yr old. He has very good technical ability. I would prefer he stay in the small field for another half year to year. I think the adult field is too much for him and he needs some more time to not just understand but master the technical side of the game. I am not criticizing your specific situation; I am critical of the mentality that all good U12s are playing U13 and agree with the other guy in this thread that it does the majority of kids a disservice.
        It is definitely a kid by kid decision. Problem may come into that parents that don't know soccer and think that 8 v 8 is just little kid soccer and don't understand that they need to work differently in training and to master the technical skills more on their own. I do not criticize any parent for wanting to give kids more time with 8 v 8, they just should not criticize another parent or coach for thinking a kid is ready for the bigger field. It all averages out in the end anyway. What is hard is the separation of a team. Our club has two U12 teams, and A and a B, the B team is playing 8 v 8 and the A is playing 11 v 11. Some of the kids that were A team players are going to struggle this year because they have come up to the bigger field and their advantage of speed and quickness is now being somewhat negated by the size and strength of players. They are now also having to pass more on the bigger field to cover the space, where they did not have to as much before.

Comment

It is definitely a kid by kid decision. Problem may come into that parents that don't know soccer and think that 8 v 8 is just little kid soccer and don't understand that they need to work differently in training and to master the technical skills more on their own. I do not criticize any parent for wanting to give kids more time with 8 v 8, they just should not criticize another parent or coach for thinking a kid is ready for the bigger field. It all averages out in the end anyway. What is hard is the separation of a team. Our club has two U12 teams, and A and a B, the B team is playing 8 v 8 and the A is playing 11 v 11. Some of the kids that were A team players are going to struggle this year because they have come up to the bigger field and their advantage of speed and quickness is now being somewhat negated by the size and strength of players. They are now also having to pass more on the bigger field to cover the space, where they did not have to as much before.
          To me, it is simple. My son should be focusing 100% of his time on perfecting his technical skills, game and situational awareness, 1 and 2 touch play. That's what he has been working on since U8. If he has to spend much time focusing on the physical aspects of a field - am I running fast enough to get to the ball - or the physical aspects of the game - will I run into this guy's elbow - then I am not doing my job as his dad to put him in the best position to succeed. The crazies that say that well that's what real soccer is like do not understand that these are still kids and they are still learning.

Comment

To me, it is simple. My son should be focusing 100% of his time on perfecting his technical skills, game and situational awareness, 1 and 2 touch play. That's what he has been working on since U8. If he has to spend much time focusing on the physical aspects of a field - am I running fast enough to get to the ball - or the physical aspects of the game - will I run into this guy's elbow - then I am not doing my job as his dad to put him in the best position to succeed. The crazies that say that well that's what real soccer is like do not understand that these are still kids and they are still learning.
            Yeah, but not every kid is at the level of your kid, some are further along. Some have mastered the "1 and 2 touch play" and they are now ready for some more advanced soccer, like moving in space, working against more players in the box, pushing their bodies to cover more ground, switching fields, etc... Just like in school you have some kids that are ready for advance mathematics and some that are not. Not all kids are created equal or develop equally. So why are you OK to hold back or penalize the kids that are more gifted (or further developed) for the sake of your kids development? Some kids should probably not go to a bigger field until they are 15, so why not say to all 13 year old kids, you should not be going to a bigger field? Not every kid has the same soccer IQ, some watch it more, study it more, take in more info, etc... It is OK if your kid is not that way, it is just that we don't want you setting some sort of standard, common core if you will, for everyone else.

Comment

Technically it is not real soccer, otherwise we would have an 8 v 8 World Cup. It is beginner soccer and that is OK, but you should not label people as "crazies". You should just do what you think is right for your kid, you know him best. There is no exact formula for making a great player, %99 comes from within them, not us. If he is truly great at soccer he will find a way, his way.

Comment

Technically it is not real soccer, otherwise we would have an 8 v 8 World Cup. It is beginner soccer and that is OK, but you should not label people as "crazies". You should just do what you think is right for your kid, you know him best. There is no exact formula for making a great player, %99 comes from within them, not us. If he is truly great at soccer he will find a way, his way.
                ok, I stand corrected. parents like the one that posted above that gave it some thought and concluded that because his kid is big and athletic it would be ok, are not crazy. They are just reaching a different conclusion, perhaps with different facts than those that apply in my case. That's fair.

But, I have seen enough youth soccer in the past seven years to know that the majority are doing it after not giving it much thought just because "everyone" is doing it, or because the coach said so, or because they have a false notion of how a kid develops or because they think that this is real soccer and the sooner their kid plays it the better. I would guess that applies in 85% of the cases. I have had this discussion with other parents and most simply think that real soccer is 11v11 and they need to get on with it the sooner the better. They don't seem to realize their kid is spending 5 mins on the ball and 40 mins running. For that, they can do cross country at their middle school for free and save me the cost.

Comment

And I like your last statement a lot. You are right. 99% comes from within them. I think my role ends once they have a strong technical development. Unfortunately, I DO have to be involved to make sure they learn the technical and mental aspects of the game because most clubs are just a business. If I do not get involved, they learn nothing. Once they have a grasp of the technical and mental part of the game at 12, 13 or 14, there's nothing else for me to do but cheer. Great point.

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnuts View Post
                    My daughters u12 team is playing u13 this season. In NF, there's three clubs doing it (for both boys and girls). One club has a long standing history of pushing their top tier team into the next age division which of course pushes other clubs to follow. I do believe her coach is a fantastic coach who is balancing their development with learning to play 11v11. I'm not sold on them playing up this season but they are also being given opportunities to continue to play 8v8, which they'll play in region cup.

So far, my only concern has been size. When you have a younger 02/03 playing against an older 01/02 there can be quite the size difference. Quite a few times so far, I have held my breath as one of the 12s face is right at the level of a 13s elbow.
                    Times they are a-changing....the state has issued the new rules for all regional cup competitions - go to http://www.fysa.com/about/forms/ and you will see them. From these rules:

A. Team Eligibility
                    1. A team participating in Regional Cup must enter the competition of their State Association’s Region in their age appropriate bracket, as defined by US Youth Soccer. Teams who are entered into FYSA’s Florida State Cup are not eligible to participate in Regional Cup.
                    2. Teams may only enter Regional Cup in the age group of their oldest player, based on their roster at the time of entry. After entry, teams may not release players in order to qualify for a younger age group, nor can teams enter an age group that they do not have at least 1 player rostered of that age at time of entry and at roster freeze.

Looks like they have eliminated the rule that 50% of your players must be on age...just one must be on age which does make your whole team that age.

Comment

Times they are a-changing....the state has issued the new rules for all regional cup competitions - go to http://www.fysa.com/about/forms/ and you will see them. From these rules:

A. Team Eligibility
                      1. A team participating in Regional Cup must enter the competition of their State Association’s Region in their age appropriate bracket, as defined by US Youth Soccer. Teams who are entered into FYSA’s Florida State Cup are not eligible to participate in Regional Cup.
                      2. Teams may only enter Regional Cup in the age group of their oldest player, based on their roster at the time of entry. After entry, teams may not release players in order to qualify for a younger age group, nor can teams enter an age group that they do not have at least 1 player rostered of that age at time of entry and at roster freeze.

Looks like they have eliminated the rule that 50% of your players must be on age...just one must be on age which does make your whole team that age.
                      Fellow Region B people, pretty sure this has been the law of the land for awhile, correct?

Comment

Originally posted by Hazelnuts View Post
                        Fellow Region B people, pretty sure this has been the law of the land for awhile, correct?
                        I think it has but it was not enforced very well. Last year several teams in boys and girls were dq'd from "playing up" in region and state cup. It's U10's playing U11 and U12's playing U13 where the rule comes into play. I thought last year you had to have 50% of the roster be "on age."

Region B definitely was more strict than the rest of the state on the ruling, especially last year. I don't care how its done as long as it's consistent across the state and the rules are very clear.

Comment

Are all u12 teams playing up adding u13 players to their rosters, or are they true u12 (02-03), also what caliber are these u13 players playing on these mixed teams? Also if there are tournaments with u12 11v11 what will the true u12 teams play?
                          Nobody answered the OP!!! Didn't ask if it was a good or bad move just curious to the said questions!

Is everything a debate never any info just my stick is bigger than yours talk!

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X