X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Word always gets around

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Having a daughter that is just starting college recruiting process, this coach was one that I have heard to be careful of. Start looking at the roster history, and a lot of players leave here and go elsewhere. That is always a red flag.
    That is good information to have. Who told you be careful of this coach and why?

Comment

If you have a daughter considering playing women's soccer at Flagler College my advice would be to go someplace else. The program is run by a low level coach by the name of Ashley Martin. You can count on him to provide little knowledge of the game and even less passion for the sport. Not a good man and someone NOT to be trusted in my opinion. In fact as a human being I would rate him at the bottom of the barrel. As a coach I would rate him as Flagler's all time worst. He is a mean and vindictive man in my opinion. I can not understand why Flagler College or their athletic department would employ such a person. No integrity...
      Sounds like your daughter isn't receiving the playing time you think she should be. What mean and vindictive actions has he taken? Why is he low level?

Personally, my kid has attended camps with both of the current Flagler coaches and has wonderful experiences.

Comment

Were there is smoke, there is fire.
        When it is anonymous, all of the smoke could be generated by the same person.

Comment

Sounds like your daughter isn't receiving the playing time you think she should be. What mean and vindictive actions has he taken? Why is he low level?

Personally, my kid has attended camps with both of the current Flagler coaches and has wonderful experiences.
          my kids both attended their camp not this past summer but the summer before. while we were there is seemed like just another money grab. the only ones paying attention to the players were the flagler players! the coaches were busy under the tents staying cool. turf field was the worst. temps so hot no one should have been playing on it. we heard nothing further from flagler. which was ok since at that time she was trying to decide on schools that had already made serious offers - she picked an out of state school - they offered nearly full package over the florida offers. flagler never batted an eyelash at her though she tried. it is actually an interesting time to see what schools ignored your kid and see how they come through their season.

Comment

AM was a horrible youth coach in the Jax Area.

Comment

my kids both attended their camp not this past summer but the summer before. while we were there is seemed like just another money grab. the only ones paying attention to the players were the flagler players! the coaches were busy under the tents staying cool. turf field was the worst. temps so hot no one should have been playing on it. we heard nothing further from flagler. which was ok since at that time she was trying to decide on schools that had already made serious offers - she picked an out of state school - they offered nearly full package over the florida offers. flagler never batted an eyelash at her though she tried. it is actually an interesting time to see what schools ignored your kid and see how they come through their season.
              My kid attended a soccer camp at Flagler and it was not well put together. The coach apologized for the lack of players at her ability and still took the check.

Flagler has bigger concerns than sports team.

From the local newspaper-

ST. AUGUSTINE, Fla. -- Flagler College President Dr. Will Abare said students don't need to worry after the discovery of boosted test scores and GPAs for the current freshman class.

"There is no effect on the students because they were already admitted," said Abare.

Abare said when he confronted Vice President of Enrollment Marc Williar with evidence, Williar admitted he wasn't happy with the incoming classes' scores and made changes to make his alma mater look better.

"Rather than accept the fact one year and try to go out the next year and improve the profile and standing of our students, he just decided that he would go ahead and make changes to scores," said Abare.

Abare saID Williar claims the score changes shouldn't go back more than three years, then resigned on the spot. Now the accrediting body, and the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools is demanding answers from Flagler. - See more at: http://www.actionnewsjax.com/news/ne....DkmTH7q3.dpuf

Comment

Go Flagler Great! A Party School!

February 18, 2014
                By
                Scott Jaschik
                Flagler College, a liberal arts institution in Florida, announced Monday that one of its senior officials altered admissions statistics for freshmen who were admitted from the fall of 2010 through the fall of 2013.
                A statement from William T. Abare Jr., the president, said that "a senior admissions officer has resigned after taking sole responsibility for misreporting test scores, grade point averages, and class ranks of entering freshman. We have notified appropriate organizations, agencies, and accrediting bodies of the situation and have informed them that we have commissioned an independent investigation. We will disclose the findings once we receive the final report. We are reviewing what happened and are developing policies, procedures, and systems to ensure this does not occur again."
                The college's statement did not identify the senior official, but The St. Augustine Record reported that the official was Marc Williar, vice president for enrollment management -- and he admitted to the newspaper that he made the changes.
                In the last two years, a number of colleges have admitted to inflating some of their statistics, and many of the falsifications have become known after a senior official left, and a new person found discrepancies. The Flagler case is unusual in that an individual has publicly admitted that he did it.
                Williar told the Record that he first altered data after noticing that the profile of an entering class has declined over the previous year. “I really love this college so much, and there had been a decline a little bit in the profile of the incoming class,” he told the newspaper.
                Then he did the same thing in the following years. Williar did not defend his conduct. “I made a serious misadjustment and inflated the profile and said that it was something it wasn’t," he said. "I’m very ashamed and I feel very remorsefully for how I’ve let them down.”
                The college found the falsified data after a faculty member noticed and reported some discrepancies, prompting an investigation.
                Among the college that have admitted to giving fabricated data to U.S. News & World Report are Bucknell University, Claremont McKenna College, Emory University and George Washington University (about undergraduate admissions), and Tulane University's business school with regard to M.B.A. admissions.
                U.S. News has consistently denied that there is a widespread problem. Last year it published an FAQ on the issue. One of the questions: "Do you believe that there are other schools that have misreported data to U.S. News but have not come forward?" The magazine's answer: "We have no reason to believe that other schools have misreported data — and we therefore have no reason to believe that the misreporting is widespread."
                Inside Higher Ed's most recent survey of college admissions directors, however, suggests that there may be more data falsification than is known. Asked in the fall if their institutions had ever submitted false admissions data, 1 percent of public admissions directors and 2 percent of private institutions said yes (and the totals of known cases of fabrication do not come close to those percentages). Well over 90 percent of admissions directors believe that others do so.
                The survey also asked whether the admissions directors believed that rankings producers have "reliable systems" in place to prevent fabrication of data. Only 7 percent of admissions directors believe that such systems are in place, and 93 percent disagree.

Comment

A college changing student scores? Now that is really bad.

Comment

Ashley Martin

Define Horrible? I am curious as I do not see how a college could pick a head coach that was horrible at the youth level or any level. It does happen. Was he just a bad soccer coach or is there more to it. Horrible is pretty strong. Yet, That might be the case.

Comment

Define Horrible? I am curious as I do not see how a college could pick a head coach that was horrible at the youth level or any level. It does happen. Was he just a bad soccer coach or is there more to it. Horrible is pretty strong. Yet, That might be the case.
                      Right, Id like to know why he was horrible as well. I've only known him to be at JYS in late spring and over the summer this past year but not to have actually coached any teams, just train.

I still want OP to say what's so horrible at Flagler about him?

BTW to the prior poster who said "two years ago..", it wasn't AM in control then.

Comment

My favorite Martin

I think by horrible the poster probably meant that AM was not too damn good of a coach from their perspective. Horrible can be equated to ABSOLUTELY SUCKS in most cases. lol

Comment

I think by horrible the poster probably meant that AM was not too damn good of a coach from their perspective. Horrible can be equated to ABSOLUTELY SUCKS in most cases. lol

I would say that the term horrible pretty much describes Flagler's Ashley Martin. Just ask around the soccer crowd in Jacksonville!

Comment

Having a daughter that is just starting college recruiting process, this coach was one that I have heard to be careful of. Start looking at the roster history, and a lot of players leave here and go elsewhere. That is always a red flag.
                            This is his first year - what does previous roster history have to do with his coaching?

Comment

If you have a daughter considering playing women's soccer at Flagler College my advice would be to go someplace else. The program is run by a low level coach by the name of Ashley Martin. You can count on him to provide little knowledge of the game and even less passion for the sport. Not a good man and someone NOT to be trusted in my opinion. In fact as a human being I would rate him at the bottom of the barrel. As a coach I would rate him as Flagler's all time worst. He is a mean and vindictive man in my opinion. I can not understand why Flagler College or their athletic department would employ such a person. No integrity...
                              Can we get any specifics about this post? Anyone can come on here and post generalized negative comments - if you want ot be taken serioulsy, please provide specifics.

Comment

Can we get any specifics about this post? Anyone can come on here and post generalized negative comments - if you want ot be taken serioulsy, please provide specifics.
                                Thank you! I'm almost betting it has something to do with playing time or the upstaging of a upperclassman by a newcomer. Either of course would mean that the coach is just absolutely horrible and vindictive to said parent. Neither are actually reasons to believe the coach is either.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X