X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    ODP Tryout Prep: Part 1, Dr B

U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy, the ECNL, and ODP serve as excellent gateways for youth soccer players to get valuable exposure to college coaches with the coveted D1 scholarships, with some “full rides” worth in excess of $100,000. Who are the frontrunners to receive these handsome scholarships to the nation’s college soccer powerhouses? The players who are selected to the regional and youth national teams. For many, their journey begins in ODP. Therefore, in this seven-part series, I’ll explore what separates these elite players, the top ~100 in each age group, from the rest.

First, let's consider where these players come from. With regard to the chart below, on the U.S. Soccer web site (You can visit it and check the calculations I’ve already done for you), is a list of players’ names and their respective club affiliations. These players were all recently

called up for national team camps. The ECNL/Academy column represents those players whose club teams are in the ECNL, the Academy, or both. This is but a representative sample. U.S. Soccer, as you likely know, doesn’t, at any given time, necessarily list the rosters of every YNT or “pool,” providing not just players names, but also their respective affiliated clubs. Therefore,

I used the representative sample from information currently available.

National “Pool” Player ECNL/Academy Affiliation

G U15 (24 players) 62.5%-ECNL/Academy

37.5%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

B U14 (48 players) 85.5%-ECNL/Academy
    14.5%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

G U17 (30 players) 60% ECNL/Academy
    40%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

FYI: I’m not affiliated with U.S. Soccer, the ECNL or the Academy, and am not here to debate which route a player takes to get to a youth national team is the best one. I just know that a

large percentage of these regional and national youth team players, estimated in upwards of 90%, at least at the beginning of their ascension to the top, attend ODP trials. For many, it’s the starting point of their quest, though their journey might take them elsewhere later. Also, draw your own conclusions about the B U14 data. I’d like to hear what theories are out there. I included this data to show that, contrary to some player, parent and coach perceptions, not every soccer player on a national youth team plays in the ECNL or Academy.

I’ll remain anonymous throughout the seven-part series, with my goal to write and post a new part every two or three days. What I will tell you is this: At seventeen, I was selected to the U19 YNT, and at eighteen began playing professional soccer. With a keen interest in what separates these players mentioned above from the rest, while watching four ECNL

championship and nine league games, as well as six Academy league and four championship games, I collected data on “performance benchmarks” for some of these players (N=19), many of whom I saw on either regional or national rosters in 2013, who are included in the list above. While the sample size is not as large as I would like—I will augment it significantly during the next year by adding players from other age groups—the results are interesting and offer valuable insight into these elite players’ performance levels, ones ODP aspirants should, during this upcoming tryout, try to match to increase their chances of being selected.

There are, I suggest, “seven critical facets” of player performance that are taken into consideration, in addition to less important ones, during the selection process by ODP coaches. The first one I’ll discuss is one- and two-touch play. Using a 30-minute game segment for assessment, the results for the national team “pool” players are as follows:

National Team “Pool” Player 1- and 2-Touch Play in ECNL/Academy Games

Boys U14

(N=7)
    Touches

1 26%
    2 29% (54% for 1- and 2-touch)
    3 14%

Girls U17
    (N=7)
    Touches
    1 22%

2 37% (59% for 1- and 2-touch)
    3 9%

Girls U15
    (N-5)
    Touches
    1 21%

2 27% (48% for 1- and 2-touch)
    3 8%

What this limited data suggests is that national team “pool” players, U14-U17, play 1- and 2-touch soccer 48% to 59% of the time during high-level games (ECNL/Academy). So how do these numbers match up with players who, for whatever reason, have yet to be selected, but

want to be, at the regional or national team level? This is what I recommend you find out to determine how close they are to matching the 1- and 2-touch performance standards of those who have been chosen at the highest levels of ODP.

It’s easy for a parent to do: While watching your son or daughter at the next game, take a 30-minute segment of the game and, with pen and paper in hand, note the number of touches he or she uses on each possession, then calculate the percentages. Wingers, in particular, I’ve

noticed, take significantly more touches on the ball than do the other nine field players. Please adjust accordingly.

Why is playing such a high percentage of 1- and 2-touch soccer so important for a player who wants to be selected in ODP? At the ODP regional or national team level, the game demands it. At times, the pace is exceptionally fast and furious; players are very physical; they’re excellent athletes who are exceptionally quick and can, at will, apply tremendous pressure. As a result,

to be successful in this challenging environment, efficient and effective distribution of the ball is essential.

Players have to let the ball run, pass it with as few touches as possible. This helps the team maintain “purposeful possession” and gives opponents less time to react and get behind the ball. Plus, players are less likely to get stripped of the ball by hanging onto it too long. Invariably, elite ODP players demonstrate, time and time again, that they can do using only 1-

2 touches what lesser players need, or take, 3+ to do.

From my experience in ODP as a player, I recommend to any player hoping to get selected in ODP at any level, even at the open tryout, the following: During the scrimmages or “showcase” games, play 1- and 2-touch soccer; use three or more touches on the ball only when you have to. Doing so will separate a player from the rest. Also, I always recommend that youth players emulate the pros, so it’s important to take into consideration some 1- and 2-touch soccer

statistics I collected from the 2014 World Cup. Collecting data from seven games (using all players on both teams) using seven 25-minutes segments, the results are as follows:

World Cup 2014 1- and 2-Touch Play

1-touch 39%
    2-touch 29% (68% for 1- and 2-touch)

3-touch 9% (77% for 3 or fewer touches)
    4-touch 5%
    5-touch 7%
    6- touch 3%
    7-touch 2%

8-touch 2%
    9-touch 3%
    10-touch 1%

There isn’t any reason, by the way, that youth players shouldn’t aim for these WC goals.

Remember, the ODP youth-player data above indicates “averages.” Therefore, some individual players scored higher with regard to 1-3 touches than the group’s listed average.

As a learning tool, parents can have their child watch a Premier League game, for example, and have him or her (10 minutes is enough) collect data on the number of touches players are

taking.

The highly efficient and effective play a player demonstrates by using as few touches on the ball as possible, is but one of the “seven critical facets” of player performance in which these elite players excel. There are six more. In two or three days, be on the lookout for Part 2 of this seven-part series, to be titled “ODP Tryout Prep: Part 2 (Intelligent Soccer).

Never trust anyone who is not prepared to put their name to a document .

Comment

Sorry you got cut .
      not really smart asssss; at that time I decide that it was a waste of time. From our club several kids continue to assist the trainings and made the regional team, not a single one of them went back the next year. By the way my kid plays for Weston academy. But enjoy if you think that is a good program, might work for you.

Comment

not really smart asssss; at that time I decide that it was a waste of time. From our club several kids continue to assist the trainings and made the regional team, not a single one of them went back the next year. By the way my kid plays for Weston academy. But enjoy if you think that is a good program, might work for you.
        lol, oh, weston, he must be world class, just mentioning the club name tells everyone what a phenom he is. always cracks me up when players/parents at weston strut around like telling people you're with weston is like being at la masia. seen many a weston academy game where their players have the first touch of a blacksmith and soccer IQ to match, but hey they're wearing the weston badge. funny stuff

Comment

lol, oh, weston, he must be world class, just mentioning the club name tells everyone what a phenom he is. always cracks me up when players/parents at weston strut around like telling people you're with weston is like being at la masia. seen many a weston academy game where their players have the first touch of a blacksmith and soccer IQ to match, but hey they're wearing the weston badge. funny stuff
          Why is there always some jerk who takes a well-meaning thread and gets ugly with it?

Comment

Why is there always some jerk who takes a well-meaning thread and gets ugly with it?
            usually because there's a weston jerk on every thread.

Comment

Good work in collecting data and trying to reason out with supporting numbers.

But this data does not seem to have merit, should not be used for critical decision making.

1. Mainly because: ODP is not necessarily known to pick the cream, it is a highly tainted system, worked because there was no other better system.
              - For data modeling, normally it would be nice to have some succesful programs as basis.
              -There are many ODP players who cannot make it to DAs and many who make to DA were rejected by ODP, a large gap in selection process.

2. It is too early to comment without reading your complete series. But I have read a lot of statistical analyses. This initial data points presented do not establish the credibility yet, which is a must.

Comment

He had time to write this cause his "Weston Academy" player is starting right bench.

Comment

But this data does not seem to have merit, should not be used for critical decision making.

1. Mainly because: ODP is not necessarily known to pick the cream, it is a highly tainted system, worked because there was no other better system.
                  - For data modeling, normally it would be nice to have some succesful programs as basis.
                  -There are many ODP players who cannot make it to DAs and many who make to DA were rejected by ODP, a large gap in selection process.

2. It is too early to comment without reading your complete series. But I have read a lot of statistical analyses. This initial data points presented do not establish the credibility yet, which is a must.
                  Then there are some who are in ODP, but cannot make it their own clubs A team!

Comment

Then there are some who are in ODP, but cannot make it their own clubs A team!
                    There were 2 regional ODP and 3 DOP, total 5 players from ODP in one A team coached by ODP selection coach, Guess what: They did not go past the first round of State Cup!

Comment

You guys can talk all sh... You want about the academy program, however for a kid to play for one of the "big" academy clubs ( Weston, OC or Kendal ) should have some good soccer skills, at least more than ODP !
                      Keep thinking that your kid made the ODP team because there is no one better; next time you are in one of those "training camps" ask how many current ODP players form any of the youth national teams, ask how many are they even invited to participate at the national training centers, good luck champ !!

Comment

Why would you watch "many" of their academy games if they suck ?? Maybe better soccer that the Gymborees tournaments your kid is playing. the few 99's from Weston that attend the famous Alabama ODP training center last year where Weston premier team players, that is Weston 3th Team in that age, groupie !

Comment

i agree that ODP is a mess in Florida. The author is in Texas- is ODP more credible there?

Comment

Why would you watch "many" of their academy games if they suck ?? Maybe better soccer that the Gymborees tournaments your kid is playing. the few 99's from Weston that attend the famous Alabama ODP training center last year where Weston premier team players, that is Weston 3th Team in that age, groupie !
                            I know that this concept is difficult for a Weston parent to comprehend, but you do realize that when Weston plays . . . wait for it . . . they actually play other teams. Yes, as hard as it may be for self-absorbed Weston folks to acknowledge, there are indeed other DA teams in the country. Can you understand this?

Comment

I know that this concept is difficult for a Weston parent to comprehend, but you do realize that when Weston plays . . . wait for it . . . they actually play other teams. Yes, as hard as it may be for self-absorbed Weston folks to acknowledge, there are indeed other DA teams in the country. Can you understand this?
                              I Believe that the one that doesn't comprehend the issue here is you; I'm not trashing other academies, neither other clubs, I'm trashing the ODP system and their lack of credibility, it's impressive how some people start with all this inferiority traumas, assuming that we think we are better than every one else, that was never mention. Weston is a big club like some others, they usually have competitive teams in most ages, in South Florida is almost a guarantee that when you face Weston or Kendal top teams they will be good, just like OC in central Florida and other clubs in other areas; that doesn't mean they can't be defeated by smaller clubs like toros, Real Madrid or others at an specific age group, so relax buddy !

By the way I don't own Weston, unfortunately I have to drive almost an hour for my kid to play there, that's where he will find the most competition and better training around the area, I wish it would be the church soccer team around the corner.

Comment

ODP Tryout Prep: Part 1, Dr B

U.S. Soccer’s Development Academy, the ECNL, and ODP serve as excellent gateways for youth soccer players to get valuable exposure to college coaches with the coveted D1 scholarships, with some “full rides” worth in excess of $100,000. Who are the frontrunners to receive these handsome scholarships to the nation’s college soccer powerhouses? The players who are selected to the regional and youth national teams. For many, their journey begins in ODP. Therefore, in this seven-part series, I’ll explore what separates these elite players, the top ~100 in each age group, from the rest.

First, let's consider where these players come from. With regard to the chart below, on the U.S. Soccer web site (You can visit it and check the calculations I’ve already done for you), is a list of players’ names and their respective club affiliations. These players were all recently called up for national team camps. The ECNL/Academy column represents those players whose club teams are in the ECNL, the Academy, or both. This is but a representative sample. U.S. Soccer, as you likely know, doesn’t, at any given time, necessarily list the rosters of every YNT or “pool,” providing not just players names, but also their respective affiliated clubs. Therefore, I used the representative sample from information currently available.

National “Pool” Player ECNL/Academy Affiliation

G U15 (24 players) 62.5%-ECNL/Academy
                                37.5%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

B U14 (48 players) 85.5%-ECNL/Academy
                                14.5%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

G U17 (30 players) 60% ECNL/Academy
                                40%-No affiliation to ENCL/Academy

FYI: I’m not affiliated with U.S. Soccer, the ECNL or the Academy, and am not here to debate which route a player takes to get to a youth national team is the best one. I just know that a large percentage of these regional and national youth team players, estimated in upwards of 90%, at least at the beginning of their ascension to the top, attend ODP trials. For many, it’s the starting point of their quest, though their journey might take them elsewhere later. Also, draw your own conclusions about the B U14 data. I’d like to hear what theories are out there. I included this data to show that, contrary to some player, parent and coach perceptions, not every soccer player on a national youth team plays in the ECNL or Academy.

I’ll remain anonymous throughout the seven-part series, with my goal to write and post a new part every two or three days. What I will tell you is this: At seventeen, I was selected to the U19 YNT, and at eighteen began playing professional soccer. With a keen interest in what separates these players mentioned above from the rest, while watching four ECNL championship and nine league games, as well as six Academy league and four championship games, I collected data on “performance benchmarks” for some of these players (N=19), many of whom I saw on either regional or national rosters in 2013, who are included in the list above. While the sample size is not as large as I would like—I will augment it significantly during the next year by adding players from other age groups—the results are interesting and offer valuable insight into these elite players’ performance levels, ones ODP aspirants should, during this upcoming tryout, try to match to increase their chances of being selected.

There are, I suggest, “seven critical facets” of player performance that are taken into consideration, in addition to less important ones, during the selection process by ODP coaches. The first one I’ll discuss is one- and two-touch play. Using a 30-minute game segment for assessment, the results for the national team “pool” players are as follows:

National Team “Pool” Player 1- and 2-Touch Play in ECNL/Academy Games

Boys U14
                                (N=7)
                                Touches
                                1 26%
                                2 29% (54% for 1- and 2-touch)
                                3 14%

Girls U17
                                (N=7)
                                Touches
                                1 22%
                                2 37% (59% for 1- and 2-touch)
                                3 9%

Girls U15
                                (N-5)
                                Touches
                                1 21%
                                2 27% (48% for 1- and 2-touch)
                                3 8%

What this limited data suggests is that national team “pool” players, U14-U17, play 1- and 2-touch soccer 48% to 59% of the time during high-level games (ECNL/Academy). So how do these numbers match up with players who, for whatever reason, have yet to be selected, but want to be, at the regional or national team level? This is what I recommend you find out to determine how close they are to matching the 1- and 2-touch performance standards of those who have been chosen at the highest levels of ODP.

It’s easy for a parent to do: While watching your son or daughter at the next game, take a 30-minute segment of the game and, with pen and paper in hand, note the number of touches he or she uses on each possession, then calculate the percentages. Wingers, in particular, I’ve noticed, take significantly more touches on the ball than do the other nine field players. Please adjust accordingly.

Why is playing such a high percentage of 1- and 2-touch soccer so important for a player who wants to be selected in ODP? At the ODP regional or national team level, the game demands it. At times, the pace is exceptionally fast and furious; players are very physical; they’re excellent athletes who are exceptionally quick and can, at will, apply tremendous pressure. As a result, to be successful in this challenging environment, efficient and effective distribution of the ball is essential.

Players have to let the ball run, pass it with as few touches as possible. This helps the team maintain “purposeful possession” and gives opponents less time to react and get behind the ball. Plus, players are less likely to get stripped of the ball by hanging onto it too long. Invariably, elite ODP players demonstrate, time and time again, that they can do using only 1-2 touches what lesser players need, or take, 3+ to do.

From my experience in ODP as a player, I recommend to any player hoping to get selected in ODP at any level, even at the open tryout, the following: During the scrimmages or “showcase” games, play 1- and 2-touch soccer; use three or more touches on the ball only when you have to. Doing so will separate a player from the rest. Also, I always recommend that youth players emulate the pros, so it’s important to take into consideration some 1- and 2-touch soccer statistics I collected from the 2014 World Cup. Collecting data from seven games (using all players on both teams) using seven 25-minutes segments, the results are as follows:

World Cup 2014 1- and 2-Touch Play

1-touch 39%
                                2-touch 29% (68% for 1- and 2-touch)
                                3-touch 9% (77% for 3 or fewer touches)
                                4-touch 5%
                                5-touch 7%
                                6- touch 3%
                                7-touch 2%
                                8-touch 2%
                                9-touch 3%
                                10-touch 1%

There isn’t any reason, by the way, that youth players shouldn’t aim for these WC goals. Remember, the ODP youth-player data above indicates “averages.” Therefore, some individual players scored higher with regard to 1-3 touches than the group’s listed average.

As a learning tool, parents can have their child watch a Premier League game, for example, and have him or her (10 minutes is enough) collect data on the number of touches players are taking.

The highly efficient and effective play a player demonstrates by using as few touches on the ball as possible, is but one of the “seven critical facets” of player performance in which these elite players excel. There are six more. In two or three days, be on the lookout for Part 2 of this seven-part series, to be titled “ODP Tryout Prep: Part 2 (Intelligent Soccer).
                                References?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X