Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Not sure what's the difference in travel of ECNL to GDA? Just thinking if GDA is playing in the fall and Ecnl is not wouldnt that mean GDA is traveling more just because of the number of games played per year?
    Also GDA has their tournaments also which involves traveling.
    Depends on your area. In the Northeast, I consider the travel a wash. The difference is you are having two games vs. on a weekend, so you are staying over no matter what on the road. The one game for DA means, possibly (depending on game time and travel time) you may not need to. Otherwise, it's the same. Total number of games played I believe for both are in the 25-35 range.

ECNL teams play in various tourneys and DA does not. DA has "showcases" 2-3x a year which means 3 games over 4-5 days. A typical tournament means a game (or more) day.

Here, I don't see the travel as a huge differentiator.

Comment

He's right. Way too much travel, $ for the product now and college coaches are really hoping their players get their healthy and ECNL is not helping that. It used to be a great league. Now it's not. Very simple. Mission accomplished by US Soccer.
      Mission accomplished. Now we have two overpriced over-travel leagues instead of just one. Good job!

Comment

Not sure what's the difference in travel of ECNL to GDA? Just thinking if GDA is playing in the fall and Ecnl is not wouldnt that mean GDA is traveling more just because of the number of games played per year?
        Also GDA has their tournaments also which involves traveling.
        There is no difference in travel. They are both equally poor now that they both exist and one is not a home for the best players vs the other. What a mess. Now Stars has two team$ . Especially at U13/14 to travel like that. Wow. We need to do better in this country. No other country does this nonsense.

Comment

That's true. Too much travel and development and participation levels suffer. Youth Soccer is too much of a business. ECNL is the poster child for the greed.

Comment

That's true. Too much travel and development and participation levels suffer. Youth Soccer is too much of a business. ECNL is the poster child for the greed.
            ECNL was modeled on the boys development academy. US soccer only launched an academy for boys and ignored the girls for over a decade. Now US soccer has launched a GDA, obviously very similar to the ECNL since teh ECNL was based on US soccer's BDA.

No dog in this fight but it is what it is. They are practically identical with some differences.

Comment

Ford vs. Chevy Pick whatever one feels better.
              At least the rednecks are smart enough to recognize their arguments as nothing more than one little boy ******* on the other’s badge

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                ECNL was modeled on the boys development academy. US soccer only launched an academy for boys and ignored the girls for over a decade. Now US soccer has launched a GDA, obviously very similar to the ECNL since teh ECNL was based on US soccer's BDA.

No dog in this fight but it is what it is. They are practically identical with some differences.
                True. I had a daughter in ECNL and now DA, and I think the point of two games/weekend is a bit overblown given that the substitution rules are different for ECNL than they are for DA. There was much more rotating through in ECNL.

Comment

For years JD blocked NEFC from getting into ECNL even though they had better teams than Stars generally. The logic was it would be too diluted in this area to admit them. Now we have DA on the scene diluting the product and now all of a sudden we have two ECNL teams just at Stars? That tells you all you need to know right there.

Comment

For years JD blocked NEFC from getting into ECNL even though they had better teams than Stars generally. The logic was it would be too diluted in this area to admit them. Now we have DA on the scene diluting the product and now all of a sudden we have two ECNL teams just at Stars? That tells you all you need to know right there.
                    Yes. Its a business. Choose a product or service and buy it. Stinks but that is it.

Comment

It tells you that JD will compromises to make a $ for himself short term. Even his own league that is a big part of his success. He has hurt his own league. Dumb move.

It also tells you that ECNL is not special anymore. It is diluted and it is very, very expensive. It is not something to be proud of anymore and that is a shame. JMO.

Comment

It tells you that JD will compromises to make a $ for himself short term. Even his own league that is a big part of his success. He has hurt his own league. Dumb move.

It also tells you that ECNL is not special anymore. It is diluted and it is very, very expensive. It is not something to be proud of anymore and that is a shame. JMO.
                        Why would the extreme monetization of youth soccer ever something to be proud of no matter it is comes from USSF or the ECNL or somewhere else?

Comment

I wonder why some d-bag has decided to go nuclear vs. Stars all of a sudden. It's on a couple of different threads, and is wonderfully entertaining, but seems to be coming out of left field. Why now?

I generally believe that these types of concentrated attacks are rooted in frustration or anger at something that's happening to some poor sap's daughter. Please tell, oh angry one. Did your kid get "cut?" Did JD finally tell a player the harsh truth about her lack of talent and it happened to be your kid (that would be hilarious)? Fill us in!

Comment

I’m curious about the rationale behind your opinion. Full disclosure- my kid is in college, played ECNL and thankfully we never had to face the GDA vs ECNL decision. I was also a team manager so I had some insight into the travel. I’ve asked this question multiple times and never received a satisfactory answer.

Yes the fees are slightly more, but you are receiving additional training with supposedly better coaches, so that’s understood. When it comes to travel, I know my club would scour for hotels, usually business hotels that had weekend availability. I do not think the entire age group ever stayed at the same place. Some places would through a comp room or two for a big booking that would be assigned to coaches but usually it was just a reduced fee that was passed on to the parents. Free breakfast was always a struggle to get.

For tournaments I get that the host club picks the travel agent plus charges teams fees, so that is profitable for them. But there are only a couple of hosts per year, and usually the same clubs - pda, surf, etc. That’s really no different than any local tourney where teams stay. Flights were always booked by parents on their own. Team meals were split between the attendees.

So please explain the greed. Maybe I’m thick, but I just don’t get it. I have younger child in a different sport and it’s a similar model. Who exactly do you think is profiting?

Comment

I think all you need to know is that BM blackballed himself. Scorps was in the ecnl before nefc was even formed. He paid big money for the BB teams and it was hardly a well kept secret. If he had to pay the price on the back end, so be it. That’s business and it’s hardly a unique experience. As a wealthy man, he knew fully what he getting himself into. And no, before you ask, I am neither JD nor Fred and not affiliated with either. Keep spinning your fake news but the truth is the truth.

Comment

I’m curious about the rationale behind your opinion. Full disclosure- my kid is in college, played ECNL and thankfully we never had to face the GDA vs ECNL decision. I was also a team manager so I had some insight into the travel. I’ve asked this question multiple times and never received a satisfactory answer.

Yes the fees are slightly more, but you are receiving additional training with supposedly better coaches, so that’s understood. When it comes to travel, I know my club would scour for hotels, usually business hotels that had weekend availability. I do not think the entire age group ever stayed at the same place. Some places would through a comp room or two for a big booking that would be assigned to coaches but usually it was just a reduced fee that was passed on to the parents. Free breakfast was always a struggle to get.

For tournaments I get that the host club picks the travel agent plus charges teams fees, so that is profitable for them. But there are only a couple of hosts per year, and usually the same clubs - pda, surf, etc. That’s really no different than any local tourney where teams stay. Flights were always booked by parents on their own. Team meals were split between the attendees.

So please explain the greed. Maybe I’m thick, but I just don’t get it. I have younger child in a different sport and it’s a similar model. Who exactly do you think is profiting?
                                Merchandising, kickbacks from vendors and suppliers ..

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X