Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    if you believe this, then we have a different definition of top level. I dont know a single top player who needed "exposure" soccer is a tiny world. The top players could sit at home. practice, play locally and the coaches would still know who they are.

this whole system is designed to convince the average player that they are better than they are and that they need to market themselves all over the USA.

the top players really dont need it and are there to help generate results FBO Clubs.
    I completely concur. My child is one of the few unicorns. She had her pick of scholarship offers. I would say that quite frankly 99% of the bs you read on this site about college recruiting is completely wrong. If your kid has actual talent all the coaches know about them well before the recruiting actually starts. Parents can't manufacture it for their kids with exposure and by playing in the latest alphabet league.

Comment

I completely concur. My child is one of the few unicorns. She had her pick of scholarship offers. I would say that quite frankly 99% of the bs you read on this site about college recruiting is completely wrong. If your kid has actual talent all the coaches know about them well before the recruiting actually starts. Parents can't manufacture it for their kids with exposure and by playing in the latest alphabet league.
      Congrats on your unicorn, but you do realize that there are like 5 unicorns per age group max in New England? However, there are a lot of D1 rosters that still need to be filled, and there are not enough unicorns to fill them. So the rest of us have to do a little bit more work. That being said, I completely agree that even the non-unicorn D1 players do not have to travel all over the country. Pick out your (realistically) targeted schools, and go to their ID camps, and contact the coach expressing interest, and see if your club has any contacts there etc. No need to spend thousands and fly all over to showcases and games to get noticed. Now, if you and your kids are lazy and have the money, have at it, but D1 players can and do play in NPL and can play on a more reasonable regional level.

Comment

You are misunderstanding. Strong players are stuck with these uber travel leagues to find decent competition unless they can tolerate playing up or playing with boys (not talent wise, enjoyment wise) The unicorn can play up, play with boys travel, not travel, whatever. The strong players that have a ball challenging themselves and adore playing are stuck with these over done luxe leagues as these is no good alternative. World will continue to spin but oh brother do we all wish for the good old days.

Comment

if you believe this, then we have a different definition of top level. I dont know a single top player who needed "exposure" soccer is a tiny world. The top players could sit at home. practice, play locally and the coaches would still know who they are.

this whole system is designed to convince the average player that they are better than they are and that they need to market themselves all over the USA.

the top players really dont need it and are there to help generate results FBO Clubs.
          Are you talking about TOP players (top 30-40 in the country), or players that will be impact D1 players (top 150-200 in the country)? There's a big difference, since the club soccer industry in the US is set up to give paying customers what they want: access to colleges. If you want to nurture the top 30 kids so that 5 of them can play on the USWNT, that requires an entirely different approach than just connecting a few hundred kids with college programs.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
            With close to 2 dozen YNT call-ups, your child did a ton of travel. Just saying,
            Yes, it’s the sad truth. Even when we were in NPL, we traveled. The other poster is not telling the truth.

Comment

Are you talking about TOP players (top 30-40 in the country), or players that will be impact D1 players (top 150-200 in the country)? There's a big difference, since the club soccer industry in the US is set up to give paying customers what they want: access to colleges. If you want to nurture the top 30 kids so that 5 of them can play on the USWNT, that requires an entirely different approach than just connecting a few hundred kids with college programs.
              talking about neither.

Comment

Yes, it’s the sad truth. Even when we were in NPL, we traveled. The other poster is not telling the truth.
                You must have played Northeast NPL. There is a stark contrast in the travel between the two.

Northeast NPL = same as ECNL so a lot more travel for both league and showcases. Multiple overnights for league play and 3-4 airplane/overnight showcases. 1-2 more if make playoffs/finals.

NEP NPL = no overnight league travel. Maybe 2 airplane/overnight tournaments a year max. One more of your team makes NPL finals.

Comment

THERE IS ONLY ONE DEFINITION OF TOP. Im not talking about nurturing them, or anything like that, Im just saying that no one wants to accept that fact. They try and spin what top is so it encompasses AS MANY KIDS AS POSSIBLE so as to feed the egos that feed he machine.

Impact D1 is another. D1 @ Hosftra or Duke? Villanova or Harvard ? UNC or Miami? BIB BIG differences.

How many of the few hundred kids that you are connecting need to travel across the country to do that?

The paying customer seems to want to tell his/her friends all about how travelling a lot makes Jane a better player!!

And i disagree about the approach per se. Its not rocket science, the issues here are a huge country, no incentives to centralize controls and develop and no competitive landscape that drives excellence.

Its all about as you say the paying customer and the vast majority are parents of average players who want to make a College roster, not star

Comment

THERE IS ONLY ONE DEFINITION OF TOP. Im not talking about nurturing them, or anything like that, Im just saying that no one wants to accept that fact. They try and spin what top is so it encompasses AS MANY KIDS AS POSSIBLE so as to feed the egos that feed he machine.

Impact D1 is another. D1 @ Hosftra or Duke? Villanova or Harvard ? UNC or Miami? BIB BIG differences.

How many of the few hundred kids that you are connecting need to travel across the country to do that?

The paying customer seems to want to tell his/her friends all about how travelling a lot makes Jane a better player!!

And i disagree about the approach per se. Its not rocket science, the issues here are a huge country, no incentives to centralize controls and develop and no competitive landscape that drives excellence.

Its all about as you say the paying customer and the vast majority are parents of average players who want to make a College roster, not star

Comment

There is a direct correlation to the exhorbinant college costs. I have zero regrets spending the money to travel as the scholarship far outweighs what we put in. For those who didn’t make it, and I know many, caveat emptor.

Comment

Excuse me? My daughter has close to 2 dozen YNT call ups and is now playing for a top 25 college program. We did minimal travel outside of the northeast. The travel is most definitely not necessary. The real culprit here is the leveling based upon age not ability. My child played up as many as 5-6 years at different points and trained against boys for years. The idea that you need a whole lot of travelling to facilitate development is hogwash. If you must travel for competition, then travel overseas where your kid would get exposed to different developmental methodologies.
                        The poster conveniently forgets that the YNT callups and the like involved significant travel. Of course, the top coaches were also able to see the kid against other top level competition.

So, yes, if you are YNT caliber, then you do not need to travel far with your club.

Comment

The poster conveniently forgets that the YNT callups and the like involved significant travel. Of course, the top coaches were also able to see the kid against other top level competition.

So, yes, if you are YNT caliber, then you do not need to travel far with your club.
                          and there's so many of those kids around too!

Comment

and there's so many of those kids around too!
                            The poster is an elitist who has been on this kick with the same tired argument for many many years. Old timers know who he is. He’s always wanted an exclusive training for top quality players only. He’s got it with gdap. Why he’s obsessed with the lower rungs of the ladder and the travel is beyond me.

Comment

The poster is an elitist who has been on this kick with the same tired argument for many many years. Old timers know who he is. He’s always wanted an exclusive training for top quality players only. He’s got it with gdap. Why he’s obsessed with the lower rungs of the ladder and the travel is beyond me.
                              Not only that but if his player is already in college the environment has spiraled out of control more recently. GDA certainly doesn't help with the travel issue, nor is it all top quality either.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                                Funny post. You post a lot. Enjoy GDA. The poster is sticking with SSS.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X