Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The DEATH of NESJ

They want you to pay $80 per year to read New England Soccer Journal online?

This won't end well.

They seem to be significantly increasing the amount of material they post, so we'll see. You can always go month-to-month.

Comment

Why pay? I get all the material I need right here for nuthin'

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        They seem to be significantly increasing the amount of material they post, so we'll see. You can always go month-to-month.
        $10/month!!! No way!

I’m a soccer psycho. I’m here, which is a key indicator. The fact that I’d never consider paying for their reporting is all you need to know.

I know many of the players they write about. Even that isn’t enough to reel me in.

NESJ was a cute distraction with somewhat shallow reporting. Free was the right price.

Comment

$10/month!!! No way!

I’m a soccer psycho. I’m here, which is a key indicator. The fact that I’d never consider paying for their reporting is all you need to know.

I know many of the players they write about. Even that isn’t enough to reel me in.

NESJ was a cute distraction with somewhat shallow reporting. Free was the right price.
          Someone must have been underwriting them and now the funds have dried up. Granted it's tough to make $ in publishing, but no one will pay that kind of money for NESJ. To compare, Sports Illustrated publishes it's material on line and if you want to subscribe it's $.70 and issue or $36.year. Many monthly magazines are $1/issue. Online NYT is $1/week.

Comment

If a tree falls in the woods and no one is around

Comment

Free was the right price.
              ^^^Yes, this!

Comment

Total joke. Their (already small) readership is about tank. I laughed when I saw the new payment portal. Total joke. Was nice to click on their fairly fluff articles when they hit my Facebook feed, but now I just scroll on by. I’d like to know if one single person will pay.

Comment

Total joke. Their (already small) readership is about tank. I laughed when I saw the new payment portal. Total joke. Was nice to click on their fairly fluff articles when they hit my Facebook feed, but now I just scroll on by. I’d like to know if one single person will pay.
                  I just unfollowed them on Twitter. No need anymore.

Comment

I just unfollowed them on Twitter. No need anymore.
                    Good idea.

It was nice while it lasted, but definitely not worth the $$. Funny thing is, I have another child that plays hockey and there shortage of very similar NE specific newspapers/journals in every single rink, free of charge. I guess ad revenue is not enough for NESJ.

Comment

Good idea.

It was nice while it lasted, but definitely not worth the $$. Funny thing is, I have another child that plays hockey and there shortage of very similar NE specific newspapers/journals in every single rink, free of charge. I guess ad revenue is not enough for NESJ.
                      All depends on what your cost structure is. If whoever owns it wants a nice fat payday then $80/year is what you get. I get tiny subscription work-related journals that are less than that.

Comment

All depends on what your cost structure is. If whoever owns it wants a nice fat payday then $80/year is what you get. I get tiny subscription work-related journals that are less than that.
                        Getting 100 people to pay $80 isn't so fat.

Comment

Getting 100 people to pay $80 isn't so fat.
                          We'll see... If coaches/recruiters are willing to pay for it (and I'm sure many will), some parents will. What's $80 when Bolts and GPS cost upwards of $8K. Parents will want to read what the recruiters are reading. Again, we'll see. Good move by NESJ IMO. Ad click revenue can only pay a tiny fraction of the bills. I imagine they've been in the red for a while. It's a small market so they have to charge around $80 per year. although I think they're capturing a nice poorly filled niche in NE college recruiting and NE college soccer journalism.

Comment

We'll see... If coaches/recruiters are willing to pay for it (and I'm sure many will), some parents will. What's $80 when Bolts and GPS cost upwards of $8K. Parents will want to read what the recruiters are reading. Again, we'll see. Good move by NESJ IMO. Ad click revenue can only pay a tiny fraction of the bills. I imagine they've been in the red for a while. It's a small market so they have to charge around $80 per year. although I think they're capturing a nice poorly filled niche in NE college recruiting and NE college soccer journalism.
                            It’s quite obvious that writers from NESJ troll this site. They have written things about this site. It’s over NESJ!!

Comment

Too funny. Good luck, guys, but I think you'll need to reevaluate this business strategy fairly soon. People will only pay for something if they feel it has value.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X