Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How fast shoud a good youth soccer player run?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I'll try to help you out the best I can. Your son is only going to be as fast as his natural ability will allow. This may also change as he moves toward puberty as well, but rarely do we see a slower kid get faster after puberty. However, I have seen many times where they become slower, especially with females. So let me ask you; If and when the team does sprints 1/2 or full field, doesn't matter, is he staying with the front, middle or bringing up the rear? If he is staying with the front, or even the middle, he'll be fine. The best thing you can do for him is correcting his 1st step, and how he moves left and right while running in a straight line. If he is a defender, that 1st step becomes even more critical.

My son, who was 15 at the time has above average speed and was timed at 4.81 in the 40 at a college camp. I was surprised they even did that kind of thing there, but he was in the top 1/4 of all the 15/16's. He had another camp coming up a few months later, and he wanted to have a better time, because we're all enamored with the "40" times these days right? So being that I am a licensed USATF track coach I told him I would help him. I corrected his form, and focused mainly on the first 5-6 steps, and of course his start. I found you could shave of 1 1/4 sec just coming out of a three point stance. So he ran 4.69, at the next camp which put him in the top 3. This was great and all, but at the end of the day the form he used to run a fast straight line will make him a worse player on the field. So don't hire a track coach to get speed out of you kid..lol

This is how I feel about this sport in particular. I'd take a 4.8 player with intelligence, can read the game, and has quick 1st step over a 4.6 player any day.

LOL...all that typing & none of it happened.

Thanks Mr. Mitty.

Comment

LOL...all that typing & none of it happened.

Thanks Mr. Mitty.
      Funny you should call me an Mr. Mitty, your wife likes to call me Mr. Mitty and other playful names while humping my leg.

Comment

I'll try to help you out the best I can. Your son is only going to be as fast as his natural ability will allow. This may also change as he moves toward puberty as well, but rarely do we see a slower kid get faster after puberty. However, I have seen many times where they become slower, especially with females. So let me ask you; If and when the team does sprints 1/2 or full field, doesn't matter, is he staying with the front, middle or bringing up the rear? If he is staying with the front, or even the middle, he'll be fine. The best thing you can do for him is correcting his 1st step, and how he moves left and right while running in a straight line. If he is a defender, that 1st step becomes even more critical.

My son, who was 15 at the time has above average speed and was timed at 4.81 in the 40 at a college camp. I was surprised they even did that kind of thing there, but he was in the top 1/4 of all the 15/16's. He had another camp coming up a few months later, and he wanted to have a better time, because we're all enamored with the "40" times these days right? So being that I am a licensed USATF track coach I told him I would help him. I corrected his form, and focused mainly on the first 5-6 steps, and of course his start. I found you could shave of 1 1/4 sec just coming out of a three point stance. So he ran 4.69, at the next camp which put him in the top 3. This was great and all, but at the end of the day the form he used to run a fast straight line will make him a worse player on the field. So don't hire a track coach to get speed out of you kid..lol

This is how I feel about this sport in particular. I'd take a 4.8 player with intelligence, can read the game, and has quick 1st step over a 4.6 player any day.
        Very insightful comments, thank you. Anyone else? Anyone can point to a another quantitative measure of running skills for a youth soccer player?

Comment

Very insightful comments, thank you. Anyone else? Anyone can point to a another quantitative measure of running skills for a youth soccer player?
          Note to dad with no ball skills of a son....you didnt lose because the other team was faster. You lost because your players suck with a ball at their feet. Jr takes a shot 20 ft over the goal. But he is fast!

Comment

Another daddy of a ball hogger. The only thing that matters in the soccer world is ball skills. Sad!

Comment

Soccer is more about a change of speed and change of direction. First step quickness is a big factor. The ability to accelerate out of trouble can be a game changer.

Comment

Anybody has good guidelines on how fast should a good youth soccer player run? According to age.
                The only answer to this question that matters is; "as fast as he can".

Comment

9.58 into a 1 mph wind. Even more amazing is he ran the 1st 40 "meters" not yards in 3.6 seconds.

For the most part speed in a necessity in soccer, but more importantly it's what done with the speed that's most important. A player will cover anywhere from 3-6 miles per game, depending on position. Most of this will be at a jogging pace with a little walking here and there. The part that is most difficult to maintain is the 20 to 50 yard sprints, and at times 70-80 yards if you have fullbacks inserted into the attacks. IMO, there is not enough time spent building this kind of endurance.
                  You make a good point. Have watched plenty of running drills, the fastest kids are in the front at the beginning and at the end later. No endurance. What do you think will happen as the game goes on?

Comment

9.58 into a 1 mph wind. Even more amazing is he ran the 1st 40 "meters" not yards in 3.6 seconds.
                    No he didn't....

https://www.freelapusa.com/wp-conten...e1-600x108.png

https://www.freelapusa.com/wp-conten...me-600x293.png

That would put his "40" is the mid 4.3 range....

Comment

correct

on the 40 time..but I recall that he would of broke some WR during this run so I did some digging and found it was the 60m time 6.39, which Bolt ran in 6.29. In the last 40m though he ran a blistering 3.29.

Comment

As fast as they can.

Comment

.... The only thing that matters in the soccer world is ball skills. Sad!
                          Yes, like words to a language and logic to an argument.
                          Touch and ball skills are the essence of the game and are necessary per-requisites. Speed is one tool among many.

Comment

Yes, like words to a language and logic to an argument.
                            Touch and ball skills are the essence of the game and are necessary per-requisites. Speed is one tool among many.
                            Some kids are crazy fast, but overall most of the kids are around the same average speed. Soccer IQ, foot skills, and the overall ability of the team to find space and make quality runs and passes is what makes the difference. Stop acting like speed is the end all. Nobody is faster than the ball. Speed helps at U14 and under when size and speed make up for a lack of skills... But puberty changes the game completely as they get older.

It is always the kickball coach that focuses on speed, run and chase ugly game to watch. Which kind of coach are you paying for?

Comment

Some kids are crazy fast, but overall most of the kids are around the same average speed. Soccer IQ, foot skills, and the overall ability of the team to find space and make quality runs and passes is what makes the difference. Stop acting like speed is the end all. Nobody is faster than the ball. Speed helps at U14 and under when size and speed make up for a lack of skills... But puberty changes the game completely as they get older.

It is always the kickball coach that focuses on speed, run and chase ugly game to watch. Which kind of coach are you paying for?
                              Nice post. A coach who teaches the players-team to use space and to make passes and runs would be a game changer.

Comment

Anybody has good guidelines on how fast should a good youth soccer player run? According to age.
                                If you can beat an arthritic turtle in a Sprint then you are qualified for the national team

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X