Yelling at referees is hurting our children

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You know how we know all the pro ref trolls are just fat refs and not parents? All the parents yell at the refs and no parents ever insult someone who tells the ref like it is.

Comment

Time to move on from this post. Children at play here. every time someone responds intelligently just gives the child a chance to call someone fat again. Thank you to original poster.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        Another stupid article written by somebody who never kicked a soccer ball. I've been around quite a bit and with the exception of the North Pole, the refs here in the US are horrible.

Not only they don't know the rules, but the way they assume the spotlight by consistently making bad calls, giving yellow and red cards for a regular foul and the power trip they're on makes me want to vomit.

Not all, but most of them deserve some kind of abuse just because of how arrogant and how bad they are. And don't make me talk about HS refs, they are beyond bad, even embarrassing to the game.

So yes, this article is a joke, if you've ever played the game you'd know how horrible most are. And I don't care how much they get paid, that's got nothing to do with it.

Problem is there are kids and adults doing this as a hobby or to make extra money without having ever played the game seriously so their interpretation of the game is totally flawed, hence horrific calls all the time.

And I'm not talking about U10's or U12's where you have to protect the players a bit more. I'm talking about U17's and U18's where it's almost a men's game and these refs are forcing to make them play like little girls because every kid that falls to the ground is an automatic yellow or red. Totally ridiculous...
        Agree. HS refs are worse than incompetent.

Refs in soccer seem to relish having a major impact on the outcome of the game. Its like they dont feel they are doing anything unless they are making important, game changing calls. Its like they get a kick out of determining the outcome of the match.

Here is a thought: When an offside call is razor thin or a PK call is not clear, STAY OUT OF THE GAME.

Here is another: If you were too lazy to be positioned to make a call and are not sure a call needs to be made STAY OUT OF THE GAME. (and start moving).

If you cannot do this, you are going to get yelled at. Eventually some of these get the message and get out of refereeing which they should - it is a natural deselection process hopefully - the problem is the ones that refuse to leave mixing with all of the competent ones that understand they are doing their jobs when they let the players on the field determine the outcome.

Comment

Time to move on from this post. Children at play here. every time someone responds intelligently just gives the child a chance to call someone fat again. Thank you to original poster.
          This topic comes up every few months and one (or a few posters) has a bug up their azz about the quality of reffing. The last thread went on for pages and pages. He complains plenty and offer few solutions. Guaranteed he never ref'd a day in his life. Most likely his one "big game" in HS - you know, like a conference championship or something - was "ruined" by a ref call and he's never let it go 30+ years later.

Comment

This topic comes up every few months and one (or a few posters) has a bug up their azz about the quality of reffing. The last thread went on for pages and pages. He complains plenty and offer few solutions. Guaranteed he never ref'd a day in his life. Most likely his one "big game" in HS - you know, like a conference championship or something - was "ruined" by a ref call and he's never let it go 30+ years later.
            All it takes is a ref to stop a game because of the parents and they will learn.

Comment

I love reffing game teams with that speak Spanish, German or Italian. I know all three and I am Scottish. The fans will start having diarial of the mouth in their foreign tongue. When I answer back to them in their native language they all seem to quite down.

Comment

Having been a referee for several years, there seems to be one constant: the winning team generally tells me I did a good job while the losing team either says nothing or tells me how poorly I did. Having read through these comments, this thread is full of losers.

Comment

All it takes is a ref to stop a game because of the parents and they will learn.
                  Some people never get it - seen it many times across many kids and many sport. I agree a ref needs to take action. But if they won't (and many won't, specially youth refs) that is when a club DOC or coach has to step in and tell the parent to leave the field, along with a warning that another strike means it's permanent (for the parent, not the player). Clubs have a responsibility to reign in bad parents. Shunning by other parents can sometimes work also. But the worst offenders are oblivious to social cues (or don't care) and will keep at it unless the club smacks them upside the head.

Comment

I love reffing game teams with that speak Spanish, German or Italian. I know all three and I am Scottish. The fans will start having diarial of the mouth in their foreign tongue. When I answer back to them in their native language they all seem to quite down.
                    My kid who refs does that often - speaks fluent Spanish and Portuguese but you'd never think it by his ginger hair. So awesome when he shuts them up :)

Comment

Having been a referee for several years, there seems to be one constant: the winning team generally tells me I did a good job while the losing team either says nothing or tells me how poorly I did. Having read through these comments, this thread is full of losers.
                      Stands to reason. Not that you are a bad ref - you may be a good one, but when there is a bad one, the beneficiaries of the incompetence rarely complain.

Comment

Some people never get it - seen it many times across many kids and many sport. I agree a ref needs to take action. But if they won't (and many won't, specially youth refs) that is when a club DOC or coach has to step in and tell the parent to leave the field, along with a warning that another strike means it's permanent (for the parent, not the player). Clubs have a responsibility to reign in bad parents. Shunning by other parents can sometimes work also. But the worst offenders are oblivious to social cues (or don't care) and will keep at it unless the club smacks them upside the head.
                        Yes this why I watch from the bushes. They can hear me but dont know where the cursing is coming from.

Comment

The refs always flood these threads to try to make excuses. Here's something the experts said during the NCAA:

"The pressure is only on the players. There's no pressure on the refs, they're grown men."

Well those players are college kids who are almost grown men. Youth soccer is actual kids.

Everyone is worried about how the refs feel. What about how the children feel when they miss the State Cup because a bad ref on a power trip gave a bogus red card or a fat ref who didn't want to run let the game got out of hand and got someone hurt?

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                          Auto-Saved
                          x
                          Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                          x
                          Working...
                          X