Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    As an Asst. Coach at a New England program, I will tell you that I have seen many talented players who were as good or better (and required less scholarship $$) be passed up for their ECNL/NPL counterparts. Speed of play is always a concern, as is travel experience. Thus the filter. It's a shame, and it's not always cost effective for the program. If a lower league player out performs an ECNL/NPL player at an ID clinic or a tournament (should they happen to be in a mixed bracket) - the benefit of the doubt typically goes to the ECNL/NPL player. It's rare to have a D1 pick a lower level candidate in the same club and even more rare that we'll pick a player from a small regional club even if that player is the better overall candidate from an academic and technical side.
    I agreed somewhat but as a coach if I have to choose between ECNL/NPL players vs foreign players, I would go with the foreign players. From a soccer standpoint they are more development and more adaptable to game. Most US players lack good touches and tactical awareness. On the men's side this is evident. True will be said on the women's side in the next couple years.

Comment

Some of the responses are genuine and it's disgusting that someone would exploit the good faith of others the way he does with fiction after fiction. Reprehensible.
      Problem is TS readers have been burned so many times in the past. It's hard not to be skeptical

Comment

We left one of the state's best ECNL teams at the beginning of high school because the commute was too stressful on our family and the travel added $$$ per year which we could not afford. She has excelled in her current league and in high school and has excelled academically more than she ever would have had we kept going where we were. We are finding that due to the amount of girls now playing ECNL and NPL at her age group that even the average D2 soccer programs are recruiting (and getting) players from these teams, because they can. There simply aren't enough roster spots to accommodate all the players who bought into the D1 dream. Good for the D2, D3 average programs - bad for those of us who believe they have those "diamonds in the rough." Academically she could go anywhere she wants, but she wants to play soccer and has limited her school choices to those that have programs she believes she has a chance at. "Shredding" an ECNL player at an ID camp has happened, but it's typically someone who is already 2/3 the way through the recruiting process with the coach, and the ID camp seems to be just a formality. This includes D2 programs.
        There's your example of the results of a pay to play system. Money over merit. It would seem that college coaches have allowed the club system to do their scouting for them. It's a modern day version of the "old boys" network where decisions are made that aren't necessarily based on soccer performance.

Comment

We left one of the state's best ECNL teams at the beginning of high school because the commute was too stressful on our family and the travel added $$$ per year which we could not afford. She has excelled in her current league and in high school and has excelled academically more than she ever would have had we kept going where we were. We are finding that due to the amount of girls now playing ECNL and NPL at her age group that even the average D2 soccer programs are recruiting (and getting) players from these teams, because they can. There simply aren't enough roster spots to accommodate all the players who bought into the D1 dream. Good for the D2, D3 average programs - bad for those of us who believe they have those "diamonds in the rough." Academically she could go anywhere she wants, but she wants to play soccer and has limited her school choices to those that have programs she believes she has a chance at. "Shredding" an ECNL player at an ID camp has happened, but it's typically someone who is already 2/3 the way through the recruiting process with the coach, and the ID camp seems to be just a formality. This includes D2 programs.
          And there ya go. That's BTNT through and through. What an idiot to respond so quickly and obviously.

Comment

There's your example of the results of a pay to play system. Money over merit. It would seem that college coaches have allowed the club system to do their scouting for them. It's a modern day version of the "old boys" network where decisions are made that aren't necessarily based on soccer performance.
            Of course, BTNT. Of course.

Comment

Agree with you. Out of curiosity are there lower (bench) players on the ECNL roster getting D1 spots at a faster rate over top NPL players on your daughter's roster? If so, is that a function of the ECNL coach or DOC supporting his ECNL kids above the NPL kids, or do you think the ECNL "filter" someone spoke of carries more weight with the colleges.
              Speed or time is an abstract concept when it comes to recruiting because the time lines cascade according to level so what might be late for a D1 prospect might actually be really early for a D2 prospect. That's why it's so hard to generalize around things like league. I only know a few parents on other teams so it's hard for me to answer your question. My daughter is in the class of 18. On our team, the top couple of players committed in their freshman year and it's been a slow and rather painful process getting to where the balance of the team (my daughter included) are zeroing in on their college destination. My observation was that the parents who saw it like a race like you appear to see it, generally lost their minds last year and either pulled their kids from the team when things didn't happen right away or they and their daughter just threw things into neutral. I will tell you that it all caused a fair amount of strife that I'm not sure everyone has recovered from. Graduation can't come fast enough because I can't wait to be done with this lunacy.

Comment

You are nuts. If a kid from East Westboro U16 Travel goes to a BC camp and shreds everyone there (there will likely be kids from top teams at those too), then the coach that fails to notice is an idiot with a short tenure and likely a losing record. It's easier to get in front of top coaches when on top leagues in top teams, but opportunities still exist for others to get in front of these coaches as well. you just have to shine like a diamond in a goats @$$ at an 'id clinic' of about 120 kids. If you shine bright, the coach will want to know more. If you don't, good luck with that.
                Most of the parents around here assume their kids standout in a crowd just because they made a roster in one of the alphabet soup leagues and don't really understand that their kid is only marginally good. The usually end up getting a rather rude wake up call.

Comment

You are right. If the kid from East Westboro town travel team does that, they will be noticed. Unfortunately, this never happens.
                  The reason is about the level of talent, not where they play.

Comment

My wife and I have a lower income than the majority of our daughters soccer counterparts, this is our reality. My daughter is an excellent player who would most likely make an ECNL team but we can't afford it. She is also an excellent student. We are hoping that somehow there is a way to get some exposure for her.
                    The reality is your financial situation is a limiting factor. Not because your daughter won't be able to sell herself but rather because she likely won't be able to do all of the training that wealthy kids are able to do. That said if your daughter is one of the true gems that overcome such limitations with extreme talent and drive she'll figure a way to get done without all the fancy uniforms and expensive trainers. Those are the true diamonds in the rough.

Comment

And there ya go. That's BTNT through and through. What an idiot to respond so quickly and obviously.
                      I am the poster you are referring to. I have posted on this board maybe 3 times in the past 18 months and each time you say I'm BTNT. I'm not and this is a valid issue for my family and many others.

Comment

D1s promoting the ECNL/NPL brand and taking care of their recruiting needs right in their own back yard. Colleges build relationships with these ECNL clubs/they attend private showcases that are only open to the players of that club/and they virtually have no need to go anywhere else except for a token out of state player here and there. Obviously it works to some extent as they aren't getting junk players - but they would definitely overlook a diamond in the rough to insure a relationship stays in tact.

Comment

Speed or time is an abstract concept when it comes to recruiting because the time lines cascade according to level so what might be late for a D1 prospect might actually be really early for a D2 prospect. That's why it's so hard to generalize around things like league. I only know a few parents on other teams so it's hard for me to answer your question. My daughter is in the class of 18. On our team, the top couple of players committed in their freshman year and it's been a slow and rather painful process getting to where the balance of the team (my daughter included) are zeroing in on their college destination. My observation was that the parents who saw it like a race like you appear to see it, generally lost their minds last year and either pulled their kids from the team when things didn't happen right away or they and their daughter just threw things into neutral. I will tell you that it all caused a fair amount of strife that I'm not sure everyone has recovered from. Graduation can't come fast enough because I can't wait to be done with this lunacy.
                          Amen.

Comment

Most of the parents around here assume their kids standout in a crowd just because they made a roster in one of the alphabet soup leagues and don't really understand that their kid is only marginally good. The usually end up getting a rather rude wake up call.
                            Agree. But the alphabet soup league kid will make the roster over the generic soup kid because the college coach has a relationship with the alphabet club. If a player doesn't work out...they can't be blamed (we thought she was good, she was ECNL after all). If a no name kid doesn't pan out the coach is just eating crow.

Comment

A girl from a top local club's 3rd team was identified by a top D1 coach at summer camp and offered a slot on the team. Financial aid, but no scholarship. She didn't get a chance to play and transferred to a lower level program after fall of freshman year. Coach ate no crow. Team moved on.

If I had a diamond in the rough I would bring her to clinics and get her in front of coaches. If they are interested, you'll know right after play ends. They will express their interest.

ADHD alone, does not mean a kid can't attend a top D3 or Ivy. A doctors letter diagnosing the condition might even convince these schools to bump your child's grades and test scores to reflect their actual intelligence. Especially if your kid is a top recruit. This, coupled with expensive test prep, I've heard referred to as affirmative action for rich kids.

Comment

I am the poster you are referring to. I have posted on this board maybe 3 times in the past 18 months and each time you say I'm BTNT. I'm not and this is a valid issue for my family and many others.
                                You're a liar, plain and simple.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X