X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Two Footed Players

Another thread got me thinking.

How many truly 2 footed players have people seen? I define truly two footed as being able to shoot, cross, dribble and trap a ball with both feet.

How big an advantage is this skill?

Over the years, with multiple players in club and college soccer, both boys and girls, I can honestly say I have seen only a handful of players. Even local YNT level talent aren't often 2 footed. Watching high level soccer professionals it is quickly evident, even with players that are predominately one footed, they are still able to receive and move the ball along from either side of their body. Even if they are incredibly quick and are running around the ball.

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post

How many truly 2 footed players have people seen? I define truly two footed as being able to shoot, cross, dribble and trap a ball with both feet.

Over the years, with multiple players in club and college soccer, both boys and girls, I can honestly say I have seen only a handful of players. Even local YNT level talent aren't often 2 footed. Watching high level soccer professionals it is quickly evident, even with players that are predominately one footed, they are still able to receive and move the ball along from either side of their body. Even if they are incredibly quick and are running around the ball.
    My D is equally skilled with both feet in shooting, passing, dribbling, receiving, juggling, etc. It is a benefit in that she can play either side of the field or centrally and not waste touches putting the ball on her strong foot. Coaches seem to like that and she always gets looks at tryouts and such, but the thing I've noticed is one thing trumps all: speed. Seems top teams would rather have a fast one-footed player than a two-footed player who is a little slower. If I hear "you can't teach speed" one more time I might throw up.

Anyway, YMMV.

Comment

So obvious at the older ages when a player is lopsided.

Comment

Santi Carzorla is about as two-footed as you are going to get that I can think of.

Comment

best...

Zinedine Zidane

Comment

Arjen Robben....proves that if you are good enough it doesn't matter!

Comment

My D is equally skilled with both feet in shooting, passing, dribbling, receiving, juggling, etc. It is a benefit in that she can play either side of the field or centrally and not waste touches putting the ball on her strong foot. Coaches seem to like that and she always gets looks at tryouts and such, but the thing I've noticed is one thing trumps all: speed. Seems top teams would rather have a fast one-footed player than a two-footed player who is a little slower. If I hear "you can't teach speed" one more time I might throw up.

Anyway, YMMV.
              slow doesn't belong in soccer

Comment

there are too many players that favor one foot but are apparently so talented that they need to travel out of state to find competition. Ecnl, npl, odp etc. I often shake my head.

Comment

slow doesn't belong in soccer
                  Maybe u should recruit a team of track stars and see how that works for you.

Comment

Proves that if you are FAST enough it doesn't matter! Age 33 he's still one of the fastest players in the world and has yet to put in a decent right-footed cross.

Comment

there are too many players that favor one foot but are apparently so talented that they need to travel out of state to find competition. Ecnl, npl, odp etc. I often shake my head.
                      We don't need to, but we choose to travel. Don't hurt yourself shaking you head in judgment of others.

Comment

Zinedine Zidane
                        Yes, my thought as well. I admire Cazorla today.

Comment

LOL LeftFootOnly Arjen?

Fantastic left foot, but right? eesh.

Comment

Rare is the player that is truly two-footed. Favoring one side, even slight, is waaaay more common.

Comment

Maybe u should recruit a team of track stars and see how that works for you.
                              I'm not talking running in a straight line fast. That's the problem with American soccer. Everything is done is slow motion. Boring.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X