Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    OP here. Agree about the idea of connecting with coaches prior to tournaments, but what you all might want to hear is that coaches don't want to come see a kid who does not play NPL or above. I'm not talking about some low level player having dreams of playing D1, this is so more complex than that. Let's just say your kid is a mediocre player but a great student and they dream of playing for say Colby for example. I don't care what sort of sales pitch you give the Colby coaches they're not coming to watch your kid when there is a kid on NPL who is also vying for their attention. Even if your kid is a better student or even by some off chance a better soccer player. Honestly this is not about me or my boys. I really only posted this because I feel bad for the parents who genuinely don't understand the pay to play system.
    Connecting with coaches isnt an idea, it's reality. Coaches don't troll the sidelines hoping to find players. They go to watch players who have expressed interest in their program and who the coaches think would be a good fit. That's where sending a good resume, having a club coach call, short video can peak their interest

Comment

Is it ok with you that we wanted to play in the tournament and didn't care about college coaches? What if, say, you want to play at the highest level you can, have been couped up futsal and indoor courts all winter, and love the game?

Is that ok with you?

Are your boys nice and warm this morning? Did you be sure to put a scarf around them before heading off to school?
      They wore shorts like always and wish they could play futsal but their low level team doesn't offer any of that.

Comment

OP here. Agree about the idea of connecting with coaches prior to tournaments, but what you all might want to hear is that coaches don't want to come see a kid who does not play NPL or above. I'm not talking about some low level player having dreams of playing D1, this is so more complex than that. Let's just say your kid is a mediocre player but a great student and they dream of playing for say Colby for example. I don't care what sort of sales pitch you give the Colby coaches they're not coming to watch your kid when there is a kid on NPL who is also vying for their attention. Even if your kid is a better student or even by some off chance a better soccer player. Honestly this is not about me or my boys. I really only posted this because I feel bad for the parents who genuinely don't understand the pay to play system.
        Most parents understand this Captain Obvious. I have two kids, one on a very high NPL team, currently being recruited, and another on a mediocre non NPL team. Honestly he is a mediocre player, but enjoys playing club with his friends. I don't have any illusions that my C team son is going to be recruited, if he had any aspirations to play in college I would bring him to ID clinics at local D3 schools. Yes, a very high academic D3 program will be looking at NPL players, but a mediocre D3 (academically and athletically) will look at other players as long as they are stand outs. If your kid is a mediocre soccer player and wants to go to Colby, he should probably just focus on the academics and try as a walk on....In terms of sitting out because there won't be any college coaches, that's BS! My son doesn't want to play in college so should he just skip the tournament as well?? You're kid is part of a team, try being a parent and tell him it's not all about HIM.

Comment

Coaches are really good at blending in. Sometimes the disguise themselves. Your son will be fine. I'd expect an email roughly a week after GPS March Madness concludes. Trust me.
          Fake nose and glasses gives them away all the time.

Comment

Thanks for trying to save us all by recommending our kids quit on their team.

Comment

Thanks for trying to save us all by recommending our kids quit on their team.
              Exactly. Our team is made up of 1/3rds. 5-6 who make every practice, play in every game, show up early, stay late, and work on the side.

Then we have those who show up right at the start, miss a practice or two for chorus, make 90% of the games, and never touch a ball unless on the pitch.

Last, we have those who are forever running in late, miss a few more practices and games when it's too cold, don't make anything during vacation weeks, never touch a ball unless on the pitch.

Comment

Exactly. Our team is made up of 1/3rds. 5-6 who make every practice, play in every game, show up early, stay late, and work on the side.

Then we have those who show up right at the start, miss a practice or two for chorus, make 90% of the games, and never touch a ball unless on the pitch.

Last, we have those who are forever running in late, miss a few more practices and games when it's too cold, don't make anything during vacation weeks, never touch a ball unless on the pitch.
                Meant to add...if all the groups of kids are happy, then that's fine. But, those who are dedicated to work within the team environment have to carry the load for those who want to stay in their jammies when it's chilly out.

Comment

So let me get this right. You posted this made up garbage just so that you could say in a nicer way, "Parents of kids on lower level teams, don't expect coaches to come and watch your kid's team at showcase events. You're wasting your money."

If that was your intent, a big thanks for your service! I'm sure most of those parents had no idea and were expecting coaches to show up in droves to watch their C team level player.
                  Whoever you are, I love you.

Comment

Ok so I guess when your son isn't playing NPL you shouldn't expect to be in the top bracket or maybe even on the most centrally located fields, but you parents out there of kids playing in GPS March Madness or NEFC Pre-Season do you have an expectation like I do that your kid will at least be seen by some sort of coaches? Just looked up where my two boys (different ages) will be playing and I'm honestly thinking about having them sit out. No point in suffering in the cold for nothing. Which is an insane statement because I paid for this crap (twice). How are we allowing ourselves to get screwed by these clubs????
                    Yep, my U9 kid is playing in a tournament next weekend. I don't think college scouts even come to tournaments for kids at his age, so I'll just keep him home.

Comment

BTNT can toss my salad.

Where is all the obsession for people skiing all weekend? Dropping thousands of bucks each year on gear, double that in tickets, condos, etc.

Gymnastics is more...what opportunities are there for that?

Piano lessons; hockey; you name it.

I wonder if Tommy looks at him like "*** did I raise"?
                      Because this site is called "Talking-Soccer.com" not "Talking-Skiing.com"

Comment

Because this site is called "Talking-Soccer.com" not "Talking-Skiing.com"
                        You fail to grasp the point.

This is not unique to soccer. This is the same thing for virtually all youth-based endeavors.

Comment

Most parents understand this Captain Obvious. I have two kids, one on a very high NPL team, currently being recruited, and another on a mediocre non NPL team. Honestly he is a mediocre player, but enjoys playing club with his friends. I don't have any illusions that my C team son is going to be recruited, if he had any aspirations to play in college I would bring him to ID clinics at local D3 schools. Yes, a very high academic D3 program will be looking at NPL players, but a mediocre D3 (academically and athletically) will look at other players as long as they are stand outs. If your kid is a mediocre soccer player and wants to go to Colby, he should probably just focus on the academics and try as a walk on....In terms of sitting out because there won't be any college coaches, that's BS! My son doesn't want to play in college so should he just skip the tournament as well?? You're kid is part of a team, try being a parent and tell him it's not all about HIM.
                          Ok I give up. Anyone who wants to pay $3k + a year for their kid to be part of something bigger than HIMSELF deserves what they're getting. I paid to get my kids on a field where coaches will come see them play. My kids actually want to play in college and aren't just doing it to make friends while getting off on all the fresh air.

Comment

You are missing the fundamental question, which is whether or not that kid who wants to play for Colby is actually good enough to have a Colby coach come watch them play. In this type of situation that is going to be more about their high school soccer accolades than which club soccer team they play on and the level that it plays at. The kid has to have a resume that tells a coach the kid might be able to play for them. Sorry, just being smart and wanting to play is not enough to interest a coach if the player is non-descript. Your post also misses another fundamental issue which is at that level there isn't a whole lot of incentive for coaches to go out fishing for players simply because they don't have much at all that they can offer a prospect. Heck most can't even do much to get a kid into their school so the process starts by the player being interested in the school and initiating contact with the coach.

Comment

Ok I give up. Anyone who wants to pay $3k + a year for their kid to be part of something bigger than HIMSELF deserves what they're getting. I paid to get my kids on a field where coaches will come see them play. My kids actually want to play in college and aren't just doing it to make friends while getting off on all the fresh air.
                              Our resident troll doesn't recognize that finances might be a barrier. In their crazy mind you spend unconditionally to keep your kids happy.

Comment

Well, keeping them home when it's chilly certainly isn't the way to do it.

If I were a college coach, and asked a club coach if they have any prospects, and I heard "well, Johnny's pretty good but his daddy won't let him out of the car when it's cold" that would be all I'd need to hear.

Sometimes, you show up not looking at that day and the perfect weather. You show up because you are (presumably) a good player, your team depends on you, and every minute on the pitch you spend together pays off eventually. Coaches remember who showed up when it was 35 and drizzling in November. They know who is dependable and who isn't. I know that 100% for a fact.

Plus, after college, you have raised a child who shows up to work when it's snowing, operates in a team environment, and knows how to succeed for the greater good.

Another whussification of America in action.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X