Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Continue to berate coaches and much like referees, they will become extinct.
    I am not a brain surgeon, but a masters degreed individual who also holds a premier license.
    But again, not a brain surgeon...so I guess I don't pass muster.
    Licensure is no guarantee of good coaching

Comment

Not a great read in my opinion. Sometimes you get a kid who thinks he's "good" at one aspect of the game, and, frankly, he isn't. Is the coach supposed to just let the kid labor in that mistaken belief? Often the player's just "comfortable" doing that thing, and that doesn't always mean he's good at it. Sometimes the players talents are redundant--someone else on the team does "it" better. My takeaway from this article was the importance of giving an athlete a variety of teams to play on. Roles differ, opportunities change, talent varies. One of my favorite parts of playing sports as a kid was seeing where my (limited) talents fit on various teams: sometimes I was the best perimeter shooter--so I shot it; on some teams there was a better shooter--so I drove and dished; sometimes I was one of the better rebounders--so I took that responsibility; sometimes I had to be a scrappy hustling sub--so I hit the deck and took the charges. I never faulted a coach for not recognizing my strengths (other than the ones who didn't play me at all...) because everything is relative.

Comment

Continue to berate coaches and much like referees, they will become extinct.
        I am not a brain surgeon, but a masters degreed individual who also holds a premier license.
        But again, not a brain surgeon...so I guess I don't pass muster.
        Haha. Youth soccer coaches are not going extinct as far as I can see. Seem to be breeding like rabbits. That said, I respect the good ones, and there a few, but there are also some really bad ones out there also. Look out for the screamers, that is all I will say

Comment

I sent a copy to my HS coach. Hopefully he will read it.

Comment

Haha. Youth soccer coaches are not going extinct as far as I can see. Seem to be breeding like rabbits. That said, I respect the good ones, and there a few, but there are also some really bad ones out there also. Look out for the screamers, that is all I will say
            Breeding like rabbits because there is money to be made...

Comment

You aren't a premier license holder because if you were you wouldn't be on TS slinging sarcasm about an important topic. In the slim chance you do hold a premier license I suggest you go back and reread your course materials about your role in the game. Just don't berate players, it's that simple, coach.
              There has not been an important topic on TS since its inception.

Comment

There has not been an important topic on TS since its inception.
                Stars coaches JD, BR, BB and JC were known for this treatment. I ran into a player who went through the ringer with these idiots and told me payback is a bitch. It will be interesting how far these coaches pushed these young ladies to make Stars a national premier club and big $$$$. Time will tell.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                  Stars coaches JD, BR, BB and JC were known for this treatment. I ran into a player who went through the ringer with these idiots and told me payback is a bitch. It will be interesting how far these coaches pushed these young ladies to make Stars a national premier club and big $$$$. Time will tell.
                  Your time will tell is a giveaway, kd.

Comment

Soccer players are not indentured servants. They have the ability to leave any program at any time. Some loss of money may be the cost.
                    But no, they choose to stay and when things don't turn out as planned, out comes the complaining, whining and woe is me. This site is littered with these accounts.
                    Indicative of where we are today as a society.

Comment

Soccer players are not indentured servants. They have the ability to leave any program at any time. Some loss of money may be the cost.
                      But no, they choose to stay and when things don't turn out as planned, out comes the complaining, whining and woe is me. This site is littered with these accounts.
                      Indicative of where we are today as a society.
                      Clubs that have a draw, like DA or ECNL, will never even feel the pinch of loosing players here or there. There's always a line of other families willing to write a check. It takes large numbers of players on a team leaving, or threatening to leave, to get a club's attention most times. Even then if the club likes the coach he'll stay; many are like comfy men's clubs. Happens even at lower level clubs.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered
                        Clubs that have a draw, like DA or ECNL, will never even feel the pinch of loosing players here or there. There's always a line of other families willing to write a check. It takes large numbers of players on a team leaving, or threatening to leave, to get a club's attention most times. Even then if the club likes the coach he'll stay; many are like comfy men's clubs. Happens even at lower level clubs.
                        And the top clubs rarely lose their top players.

Comment

And the top clubs rarely lose their top players.
                          True. Much of the churn is at the bottom end of the roster, when either the player was a poor fit or the parents think the coach can't see their kids' genius and is being treated unfairly. At least this is for top clubs. Lower level clubs can and should lose their top players as they move up into more challenging programs. That's how it's supposed to work. A coach/club who cares about players won't try and hold back a talented player that needs something bigger. But plenty will try.

Comment

This thread is just so sad. Parental entitlement has never been higher.

Comment

This thread is just so sad. Parental entitlement has never been higher.
                              And the willingness to blame coaches instead of looking objectively at the situation.
                              My kid is failing math, so it must be the teacher's fault...ditto on the soccer pitch.

Comment

And the willingness to blame coaches instead of looking objectively at the situation.
                                My kid is failing math, so it must be the teacher's fault...ditto on the soccer pitch.
                                Totally agree much of it is parent driven. But there can be nightmare coaches. With 4 kids playing multiple sports we've encountered a few. As a parent you have try and step back and find the sources - is it really the coach? Or is the level of play a poor fit, kid is losing interest? Most won't do that because it's easier ro blame the coach

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X