Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How could a coach know the trajectory at so young age?

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

How could a coach know the trajectory at so young age?

First year playing at a top premier club, pre-ECNL age. She scored about 1/3 of all goals, including quite a few game winners, from summer tournaments to current fall league.
    We thought everything was going well. Btw, she isn't a huge brute girl. Other girls
    are bigger and stronger than her. Also, I am not an ahole dad. I keep out of the way
    and keep my head down.

Then, there was a special event that only about half of the best players could go attend,
    but she was not invited. This is basically a pre-invitation to ECNL.
    Not a very good night for her. :(

I talked to the coach and asked him what she needed to work on to get better.
    He acknowledge that she helped the team win by making many goals. She has superb
    technical skills with both feet, best on the team, great passing and finisher. But she was weak tactically and soccer IQ. Without these skills, she would not make an ECNL team.
    He said that he knew these weaknesses coming in and he brought her in as a developmental player.

I was floored, like a kick in the nuts. I had no idea that she was a developmental player.
    He didn't tell me this coming in or mention the weaknesses. He has a good reputation
    as a coach of top level teams. He doesn't want her to leave, but did I miss the memo about being a developmental player with weaknesses with difficultly of making the ECNL team?

How could he know the trajectory at so young age?
    My wife thinks it is political bs going on with other kids parents.
    I think he is asking her to leave and giving us some time to make a transition to another club.

Is it that hard to get help with her tactical skills? How can she develop better soccer IQ?
    After 5 months of seeing her play and practice, I would think that he could have
    a sit down with her and talk about how to help her, without this drama.
    Maybe I am expecting too much. Is he doing us a favor now? She was recruited by
    other clubs, but switching isn't the issue. I want to find out what we can do help her.
    I am really confused by this situation.

Every single player until they're well into their 20s is developmental.

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
      So true! See how they develop! She could be the next Pugh!

Comment

Soccer skills can be improved with additional work (get her out in the yard, there's lots of training videos on line). Soccer IQ can also be improved with more experience - she hasn't been playing at a high level until recently. Also, does she typically only play one position? Highly desired players can play any position not only because of their skills but also understanding every position and its role on the field.

However, with both there's only so much that training and experience can teach them. Some of it is genetics/athleticism, and also how their brains see the field etc. That doesn't mean a coach should dismiss a player at this age, but many will. Unfortunately clubs, parents and coaches get fixated on records as a sign of good development. There's plenty of players out there to satisfy their short-term goals to win so players like your D often will get tossed aside.

Comment

"weak tactically and soccer IQ" is coach-speak for "she's a ball hog". Sounds like the other parents have let the coach know they're tired of your kid never passing the ball and they don't want her on the team. Scoring goals is only meaningful if she makes the right decision with the ball. I've seen plenty of players who score lots of goals but miss 9 shots out of 10 when 8 of those shots were poor choices.

Comment

First year playing at a top premier club, pre-ECNL age. She scored about 1/3 of all goals, including quite a few game winners, from summer tournaments to current fall league.
            We thought everything was going well. Btw, she isn't a huge brute girl. Other girls
            are bigger and stronger than her. Also, I am not an ahole dad. I keep out of the way
            and keep my head down.

Then, there was a special event that only about half of the best players could go attend,

He acknowledge that she helped the team win by making many goals. She has superb
            technical skills with both feet, best on the team, great passing and finisher. But she was weak tactically and soccer IQ. Without these skills, she would not make an ECNL team.
            He said that he knew these weaknesses coming in and he brought her in as a developmental player.

I was floored, like a kick in the nuts. I had no idea that she was a developmental player.
            He didn't tell me this coming in or mention the weaknesses. He has a good reputation
            as a coach of top level teams. He doesn't want her to leave, but did I miss the memo about being a developmental player with weaknesses with difficultly of making the ECNL team?

I think he is asking her to leave and giving us some time to make a transition to another club.

Is it that hard to get help with her tactical skills? How can she develop better soccer IQ?
            After 5 months of seeing her play and practice, I would think that he could have
            other clubs, but switching isn't the issue. I want to find out what we can do help her.
            There is very poor soccer IQ in general with youth soccer in this country. My BS meter is telling me its because she is not big/brutish and the coach is concerned about winning not developing. It could also be politics - especially if the coach doesnt like the dad or mom but it sounds like this may not be the case. Reason my BS meter is going off is this: If she is scoring 1/3rd of the goals, this proves right there she has a certain amount of soccer IQ to find herself in the right places at the right time and to receive the ball in attacking situations. If its not BS and the coach is correct, it could be that she is not showing well in the midfield. When the kids learn how to constantly check their six, even when the ball is coming to them, they begin to feel much more confident and show more willingly for the ball (they want it more). Doing this in the context of quick 1-2 touch passing is in my view a recipe for developing good midfield IQ. Take her to one of the places with an elite skills arena - these are very good for this purpose.

We had a similar situation with our player, moved on (leaving mid-season), focused on the weaknesses in personal training and created what eventually turned out to be a monster of a player. Leaving mid-season caused all sorts of problems however so I wouldnt recommend it unless the coach has tossed the player off to the side while everyone else is training.

Comment

It's definitely her size, no matter what they say. ECNL coaches are obsessed with size.

Comment

Excellent point. The professionals will tell you they never stop developing. We need this mindset communicated to all who are entering the game.

Comment

Does she often abandon her position on the field to score goals? Does she dribble without picking her head up and looking to see if there are other players in a better position? Does she chase the ball all over the field? As a parent did you or do you play soccer now and do you feel like you know enough about the game to see the weaknesses in her game ... be honest is she a team player and one that plays within the structure of a team?

Lots of kids can score goals in the punt and chase game. Once you are in competitive soccer ... that won't fly and they'll be a detriment to the team. I see this a lot and I cringe every time I see a soccer coach in the U6, U8, and U10 age groups telling the kid to just "kick it".

Comment

and keep my head down.

The IQ part is a huge part of the game that unfortunately a lot of coaches struggle to actually teach. I'm replying to you as a coach who makes a point to always teach my players the why, when and where and not just the how because I strongly believe that the best players solve the problems the fastest in addition to having the actual technique to be successful. I'm not certain how young your daughter is but if she's still U12/13 then don't be all that concerned if she's not ready for ECNL. If the coach you're with is actually a good coach as your post implies, then stay with the coach if he recognizes that area of weakness and is helping her to improve. You can look at some of the players he's coached for a few years and see what type of players they are. If you really want to evaluate her soccer IQ, watch her exclusively without the ball in how she moves and if she's able to see things before they happen or is she reacting to what is already happening. How does she truly find the solutions to the various problems? Every player at her age is a "Developmental" player in some capacity so don't be offended by that designation. Your decision here should be can the coach/club help her to advance in the game at a level that is good for her. Best of luck with your daughter.

Comment

and keep my head down.

It seems your post is out genuine frustration and not someone just trying to stir the pot. I would never rule out politics when it comes to youth sports but that is a factor that you have work around. Not sure if I read your post right but sounded like you were suggesting the coach wants your daughter to leave. That seems a little odd, since he could maintain the status quo and not have her go. Or did he give you the ultimatum that either live with it or go?

One thing to consider is look at the other girls on the team, have most played for him for a number of years, especially the better ones? Or did they get recruited into the team this year or the year before. Even if the coach has a good background if most of the starting players were recruited then he is looking more to win and will probably not help your daughter get better. Not saying you should or should not leave if that is the case but something to consider. If they are a parent coach, more than likely they are more in it to win then develop. Sure there are exceptions but if both these conditions exist I say it is very likely he cares more about GS points than anything else.

They say that of the pillars of soccer tactile knowledge is last the player needs to perfect, if she has the skills, physical mental part. If she of Pre ECNL age than it is likely most of her teammates are lacking in this area.

Comment

Ask the coach

"She doesn't talk much to me about what you tell her about improving on technical/tactical. That being said, what have you advised her to do/leard or work on to get her to the level of the others that are where they need to be?"

It's a nice way of calling the coach out on his job to get her on level if thats the issue.

Comment

Get her on the XBOX with FIFA

Comment

OP here. Thank you all for your comments. I'll try to answer what I can.

I asked the coach what can we do about this and he said only time and experience
                            will fix the problem. Core of the team has been together 4+ years.
                            My D is part of the new girls who came in due to birth year. Team is still adjusting.

The coach seems like a good guy, but I have meet enough d-bags to be cautious.
                            He didn't ask her to leave, but I was playing out worst case scenarios for plan b, c, d.
                            Developmental player was in the context that she was a bubble player and he
                            allowed her to join the team as a special project and taking a chance.
                            This is what really shocked me. I had no idea that this is what he thought of her.
                            "What if?" comes to mind, since there were 2 other clubs who really wanted her
                            to try out.

Honestly, I thought the goals and assists she made were a good measure of her
                            progress. She was a sub in the beginning, but now plays most of the minutes in every game. See the confusion? Makes a lot of goals and assists, technical with both
                            feet, plays lots of minutes, but not good enough to make the cut or even make the team.
                            I feel guilty b/c I feel like I led my D astray. I should have asked more questions or talked
                            to parents more. Positive thing is that my D says she is over it and just wants to play
                            and to score hat tricks until end of the season. Kids. :) Thanks all.

Comment

OP here. Thank you all for your comments. I'll try to answer what I can.

I asked the coach what can we do about this and he said only time and experience
                              will fix the problem. Core of the team has been together 4+ years.
                              My D is part of the new girls who came in due to birth year. Team is still adjusting.

The coach seems like a good guy, but I have meet enough d-bags to be cautious.
                              He didn't ask her to leave, but I was playing out worst case scenarios for plan b, c, d.
                              Developmental player was in the context that she was a bubble player and he
                              allowed her to join the team as a special project and taking a chance.
                              This is what really shocked me. I had no idea that this is what he thought of her.
                              "What if?" comes to mind, since there were 2 other clubs who really wanted her
                              to try out.

Honestly, I thought the goals and assists she made were a good measure of her
                              progress. She was a sub in the beginning, but now plays most of the minutes in every game. See the confusion? Makes a lot of goals and assists, technical with both
                              feet, plays lots of minutes, but not good enough to make the cut or even make the team.
                              I feel guilty b/c I feel like I led my D astray. I should have asked more questions or talked
                              to parents more. Positive thing is that my D says she is over it and just wants to play
                              and to score hat tricks until end of the season. Kids. :) Thanks all.
                              I can understand the confusion. It's very likely that he did take her on as a bubble player but has been pleasantly surprised. At that level PT is generally earned; it isn't an equal pt for all kind of situation (even though in theory it should be). Should he have told you what he thought ahead of time? Perhaps. But coaches will share their opinions about such things unless they're pressed. Yes you should have asked more questions but too late for that piece now. It may be worth and additional conversation for him to clarify where he sees her fitting in and her prospects for making the regular ECNL squad next year. It could be that he told you that to pressure her to push herself.

Good that your D has a good attitude and seems to have proven herself to her teammates. That isn't an easy situation to walk into

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X