Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Please tell me what point you are trying to make.
    GPS "elite" teams are not really elite. Ok, we agree. GPS best teams are labelled NPL.
    If your child plays on a GPS Elite team, you are not allowed to think they are actually elite.
    We done?
    The impropriety of their marketing scheme is bothersome.

Comment

NPL
      State Elite
      Regional Elite (sometimes broken down more with "colors")
      Regional Select
      Is it possible to be rostered on 2 different teams? Just asking about the legality and hoping for only a serious answer from someone who actually knows.

Comment

Please tell me what point you are trying to make.
        GPS "elite" teams are not really elite. Ok, we agree. GPS best teams are labelled NPL.
        If your child plays on a GPS Elite team, you are not allowed to think they are actually elite.
        We done?
        You know the only reason GPS names their teams elite is to make the parents feel good. No parents wants to brag to their co-workers that their kid plays on the blue team or the red team. They should do is have the top team from each region play each other and then the winner can be called elite.
        But I guess all clubs do it there's small clubs that have one team in each age group and they are called elite so whatever make the parents feel warm and fuzzy.

Comment

Is it possible to be rostered on 2 different teams? Just asking about the legality and hoping for only a serious answer from someone who actually knows.
          Yes. This often happens within the same club, or across leagues.

Club pass gives clubs the freedom to move players among teams within the club. My opinion is that this is a critical tool for player development, and is under utilized. I acknowledge that is also abused to bring in ringers. http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/us...ces_club_pass/

Many players are rostered on multiple teams across leagues. Town, Club, ODP

Within a club, a family/player signs a contract that designates the team. The contract typically has clauses that say you are really just signing with the club and that the teams may change. A player typically has a "home" roster with one team, but is allowed under club pass to play across, up, or down. All of which have valid scenarios such as a team needing subs, giving deserving players more competition, and helping bubble players increase confidence.

Comment

Yes. This often happens within the same club, or across leagues.

Club pass gives clubs the freedom to move players among teams within the club. My opinion is that this is a critical tool for player development, and is under utilized. I acknowledge that is also abused to bring in ringers. http://www.usyouthsoccer.org/news/us...ces_club_pass/

Many players are rostered on multiple teams across leagues. Town, Club, ODP

Within a club, a family/player signs a contract that designates the team. The contract typically has clauses that say you are really just signing with the club and that the teams may change. A player typically has a "home" roster with one team, but is allowed under club pass to play across, up, or down. All of which have valid scenarios such as a team needing subs, giving deserving players more competition, and helping bubble players increase confidence.
            I greatly appreciate your thorough answer. I agree with you and was hoping this was the case.

Comment

Yes. Our teams are typically broken into four categories:

1 A (we won't use 'Elite' since it seems to cause so many angst for some) top players
              2 A lower players
              3 B top players
              4 B lower players

Players in category 1 pretty much only play with the top team. There may be Regional or National opportunities, or helping up an age group on occasion. Invites to help the 'B' team aren't sent to these players unless it's a dire circumstance.

Category 2 play in the 'A' games, and will (very rarely) asked to help out the 'B' team if they are short. Never if they have a full roster. 'B' players tend to have other commitments outside of soccer, so it happens a few times a year.

Category 3 will play in their 'B' games, but show dedication and improvement and will be asked to practice at times, and if someone is needed for an 'A' game, they are asked to play.

Category 4 play in the 'B' games only.

At least, that's how we do it. Won't speak for all.

Comment

You know the only reason GPS names their teams elite is to make the parents feel good. No parents wants to brag to their co-workers that their kid plays on the blue team or the red team. They should do is have the top team from each region play each other and then the winner can be called elite.
                But I guess all clubs do it there's small clubs that have one team in each age group and they are called elite so whatever make the parents feel warm and fuzzy.
                I think this naming practice is actually more for the kids than the parents. Kids get all pumped that they made the "elite" team, it gives them confidence and motivation to work hard to stay on that team, and more importantly, keeps them coming back to the club year after year with their parents' checks.

Parents are a little smarter than that. As soon as they click on the link to the schedule the coach sends out before the season starts, they see their kid's elite team is playing in the Championship South bracket and that there are four or five brackets above them with 6-10 teams each. I think this gives them a pretty good idea that their kid's team wouldn't be considered elite by most standards, but is simply a name designation for the top team in that small region. Conversations with co-workers rarely delve deep enough even to reveal that a kid is playing for a club, and then only if they happen to have kids that are also in club soccer.

Honestly, I think it's more embarrassing for clubs to be naming teams elite when they aren't in the very top bracket in the league. What does it say about the quality of players and coaches in a region when their "elite" team is in the same bracket as other clubs' select teams?

Comment

I think this naming practice is actually more for the kids than the parents. Kids get all pumped that they made the "elite" team, it gives them confidence and motivation to work hard to stay on that team, and more importantly, keeps them coming back to the club year after year with their parents' checks.

Parents are a little smarter than that. As soon as they click on the link to the schedule the coach sends out before the season starts, they see their kid's elite team is playing in the Championship South bracket and that there are four or five brackets above them with 6-10 teams each. I think this gives them a pretty good idea that their kid's team wouldn't be considered elite by most standards, but is simply a name designation for the top team in that small region. Conversations with co-workers rarely delve deep enough even to reveal that a kid is playing for a club, and then only if they happen to have kids that are also in club soccer.

Honestly, I think it's more embarrassing for clubs to be naming teams elite when they aren't in the very top bracket in the league. What does it say about the quality of players and coaches in a region when their "elite" team is in the same bracket as other clubs' select teams?
                  As a previous poster stated, it sounds more impressive to co-workers and friends that your kid is on an elite team at GPS. No one will check the NEP schedule to verify. No one wants to brag that their kid is on the Select squad playing in the League 1 (not that they will know what that means either).

Comment

As a previous poster stated, it sounds more impressive to co-workers and friends that your kid is on an elite team at GPS. No one will check the NEP schedule to verify. No one wants to brag that their kid is on the Select squad playing in the League 1 (not that they will know what that means either).

Or, the conversations go like this:

Your kid play soccer?

Yeah.

For who?

GPS.

She like it?

Yeah, pretty much. Been there a few years. She's improved, turning into a good little player.

Nice. Any chance you'd switch?

Maybe. Depends, overall, no major complaints. She gets better, she knows the coaches, it's close by. Not ready to change just yet.

Recommend it?

I don't see why not.

(As you can see...what level never has come up). That's just TS fodder. Most co-workers or friends could care less.

Comment

If you are bragging that your kid plays club soccer, you have bigger life issues to work out.

Comment

If you are bragging that your kid plays club soccer, you have bigger life issues to work out.
                        Unless them make the Revs.

Comment

#GPSenvy

Comment

#GPSenvy
                            I have gps envy. But the barrier to entry to the club is too high. The dream of our family is for one of my kids to somehow enter this exclusive club.

Comment

I have gps envy. But the barrier to entry to the club is too high. The dream of our family is for one of my kids to somehow enter this exclusive club.
                              Soccer is for rich lazy white kids. If you don't fit that profile you should move to South America or Europe.

Comment

Soccer is for rich lazy white kids. If you don't fit that profile you should move to South America or Europe.
                                Don't feed the troll.

Not for nothing but there seems to be plenty of diversity on the USMNT and USWNT. Also, pretty sure running an average of 6km per game in a mix of speeds, while performing with skill on the ball and having on average 1 second and 2 touches to distribute the ball is the opposite of lazy.

Go watch some baseball and drink some beer. You'll feel better about yourself after seeing those fat slobs who are considered professional athletes. Same goes for the majority of football offensive and defensive linemen.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X