Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    Looks like gps won this one and it's only going to get worse for needham next year!
    Age groups with 20+ GPS teams. Fields scatterd from Byfield to Providence, RI. NEFC 3rd & 4th teams. Your definition of winning isn't the traditional one.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010368]Looks like gps won this one and it's only going to get worse for needham next year![/QUOTE
      How did GPS win this one? Not sure if anyone will win. I'm sure people will come on here and bash one or the other. For the most part it comes down to money which trounamebt made the most. I'm almost positive they won't to you. GPS may have more teams but if the majority are GPS teams then not sure how much profit is coming out if it. I'm sure the tournament is included in the tuition so the cash is already in the bank for GPS which isn't a bad thing.
      Their good business people over there so life will be fine for them.
      Just a question from a parents prospective. Do parents mind playing other GPS teams?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010430]
        Just a question from a parents prospective. Do parents mind playing other GPS teams?
        Generally, could care less. On the player level there is no interaction with them, no more than any other team, doesn't mean much.

As long as we are playing a competitive game, I don't care what the jersey says.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010462]

Generally, could care less. On the player level there is no interaction with them, no more than any other team, doesn't mean much.

As long as we are playing a competitive game, I don't care what the jersey says.
          What about all the parents of kid on cannon fodder teams that are just practice cones for the better teams to dribble around while they gobble up gotsoccer points? Don't they every get pissed off?

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010480]

What about all the parents of kid on cannon fodder teams that are just practice cones for the better teams to dribble around while they gobble up gotsoccer points? Don't they every get pissed off?
            No, as long as they're being the best cannon fodder that they can be.

Comment

Looks like gps won this one and it's only going to get worse for needham next year!
              Overall, Needham is losing this round and will likely fight to keep what they have now. Partnering with FC Bolts is the only thing that might help them survive with anything more than a town tournament.

Needham first mistake was ever partnering with GPS and letting them put their name on the Showcase at the Gan Academy (note that GPS did not keep those fields). Is there anything in the history of GPS that suggests a town club could trust them? Perhaps there were more deals going on between the Needham directors and GPS than we will ever know.

Now Needham will be lucky to have half the teams. GPS partnered quickly with Seacoast, Stars, and NEFC, but those clubs are not sending their best to the GPS venue. I don't know where they are going, but there are no almost no ECNL teams and only a handful of NPL teams. I would say that GPS got the short end on the fields too, which are spread from here to RI.
              Needham, however, is sending the showcase out to UMASS and hoping to take the college coaches out there as well. The coaches will go as long as they think there are DA teams attending.They might even attract more out of state teams out of New England to that one. My only question with UMASS Amherst is whether or not they have enough quality fields.

Good luck to both. Honestly....IMHO....I would like to see the GPS tournament fall flat on its face. It is such a huge monstrosity. I would like to see 'David' win.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010480]

Again, as I said, as long as we are playing a competitive game, I don't care what the jersey says.

Comment

Overall, Needham is losing this round and will likely fight to keep what they have now. Partnering with FC Bolts is the only thing that might help them survive with anything more than a town tournament.

Needham first mistake was ever partnering with GPS and letting them put their name on the Showcase at the Gan Academy (note that GPS did not keep those fields). Is there anything in the history of GPS that suggests a town club could trust them? Perhaps there were more deals going on between the Needham directors and GPS than we will ever know.

Now Needham will be lucky to have half the teams. GPS partnered quickly with Seacoast, Stars, and NEFC, but those clubs are not sending their best to the GPS venue. I don't know where they are going, but there are no almost no ECNL teams and only a handful of NPL teams. I would say that GPS got the short end on the fields too, which are spread from here to RI.
                  Needham, however, is sending the showcase out to UMASS and hoping to take the college coaches out there as well. The coaches will go as long as they think there are DA teams attending.They might even attract more out of state teams out of New England to that one. My only question with UMASS Amherst is whether or not they have enough quality fields.

Good luck to both. Honestly....IMHO....I would like to see the GPS tournament fall flat on its face. It is such a huge monstrosity. I would like to see 'David' win.
                  I think the other point of the "Needham" tournament is that now the college showcase is NO WHERE near Needham. Most girls coaches will be at PDA. Anyone not at PDA now has coaches split between Amherst and eastern MA.

Comment

I think the other point of the "Needham" tournament is that now the college showcase is NO WHERE near Needham. Most girls coaches will be at PDA. Anyone not at PDA now has coaches split between Amherst and eastern MA.
                    There will be no split. They will be in Amherst. Just watch.

Comment

Actually Needham dropped the Bolts.
                      Needham was the BIG feeder system for the Bolts.
                      Bolts had the top team in most MAPLE boys age groups.
                      Then DAP and NO HS.
                      Sorry! Needham HS soccer is a tradition.
                      We are very happy winning and sending kids to quality D3 schools.
                      No your kid isn't the next Diego.
                      And on that topic I think he looked better a few years ago.
                      The only MLS player he can blow by is Tierney in practice.
                      Go Rockets!

Comment

Taking a look at the teams attending, both GPS and Needham are second rate tournaments for the HS ages.

On the girls side, all the top teams will be playing somewhere else.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010462]

We don't play for GPS, but I notice that at any tournament there are multiple teams from Stars, GPS, NEFC, FC Boston who end up playing each other. Not really anything new here.

Comment

[QUOTE=Unregistered;2010979]

We don't play for GPS, but I notice that at any tournament there are multiple teams from Stars, GPS, NEFC, FC Boston who end up playing each other. Not really anything new here.
                            Take a look at this info from another topic on TS. The likelihood of you playing multiple GPS teams at one of their tournaments is exceedingly high.

Boys U11: 14 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/2 GPS NY/2 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U12: 20 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS NY/2 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U13: 14 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/3 GPS RI/3 GPS NH

Boys U14: 16 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/3 GPS RI/3 GPS NH

Boys U15: 13 GPS MA teams/2 GPS ME/2 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/4 GPS NH/1 GPS NJ

Boys U16: 12 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/0 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/1 GPS NH

Boys U17: 13 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS NY/1 GPS RI/1 GPS NH/1 GPS PR

Boys U18: 4 GPS MA teams/1 GPS NH

Boys U19: 4 GPS MA teams/1 GPS ME/1 GPS RI

There are 110 GPS boys teams in MA? For the love of God, that's ridiculous.

There are 48 GPS boys teams from locations outside of MA involved.

Luckily for all involved there are 105 GPS "Elite" boys teams playing that weekend.

NEFC has less than half that number of boys teams in their whole club. Stars? They have 24 boys teams. Your argument about playing in NEFC or Stars tournaments and playing several of the host's teams doesn't seem to hold much water.

The smart clubs will eventually realize there are several other GPS tournaments during the year where they can play 3 GPS MA teams in a weekend. Doesn't it make sense to play Needham over Memorial Day to get a little variety for once?

Needham has 35 Bolts boys teams participating from U11 to U18. Your chances of playing several different teams are significantly better at Needham.

Comment

Inventory and Insight are not the same thing.
                              Congratulations Charlie Babbit you counted the GPS teams.
                              The crux of your argument is that a club would wants to play different teams, yet you can't comprehend that all the GPS teams you counted ARE different teams

Comment

Inventory and Insight are not the same thing.
                                Congratulations Charlie Babbit you counted the GPS teams.
                                The crux of your argument is that a club would wants to play different teams, yet you can't comprehend that all the GPS teams you counted ARE different teams
                                A quick check of the NEP Spring schedule for the Boys U14 Premiership 2003 shows 4 GPS teams in the division. I bet non GPS teams from that division will most likely end up playing multiple GPS teams from their current NEP schedule at the GPS Memorial Day Tournament. That's why playing in a GPS hosted tournament makes little sense when there is a better non GPS tournament being held at the same time.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X