Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Turkey fans BOO during pre-match minute's silence for the victims of Paris attacks an

Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I worry sometimes when, as we think about how to deal with the immigration issue, we think that any moves towards assimilation of the existing newcomers to the existing culture is somehow a betrayal or a denial of people’s heritage or what have you. If you’re going to have a coherent, cohesive society then everybody has to have some agreed upon rules, and there’s gonna have to be some accommodations that everybody makes, and that includes the people who are newcomers.

Should we want to encourage newcomers to learn the language of the country they are moving to? Of course. Does that mean they can never use their own language? No. Of course, it doesn't mean that. But it's not racist to say, "Ah, if you're going to be here, then you should learn the language of the country you just arrived at."

Am I racist for this line of thinking?
    For the most part most immigrants do learn English or certainly want to; some just take longer than others. Especially for adults learning another language isn't' easy. Kids pick it up quickly because of how their brains are wired and from being in school. There aren't many places for adults to learn, even harder if they're working full time.

Comment

For the most part most immigrants do learn English or certainly want to; some just take longer than others. Especially for adults learning another language isn't' easy. Kids pick it up quickly because of how their brains are wired and from being in school. There aren't many places for adults to learn, even harder if they're working full time.
      But, am I racist for thinking this way?

Comment

I worry sometimes when, as we think about how to deal with the immigration issue, we think that any moves towards assimilation of the existing newcomers to the existing culture is somehow a betrayal or a denial of people’s heritage or what have you. If you’re going to have a coherent, cohesive society then everybody has to have some agreed upon rules, and there’s gonna have to be some accommodations that everybody makes, and that includes the people who are newcomers.

Should we want to encourage newcomers to learn the language of the country they are moving to? Of course. Does that mean they can never use their own language? No. Of course, it doesn't mean that. But it's not racist to say, "Ah, if you're going to be here, then you should learn the language of the country you just arrived at."

Am I racist for this line of thinking?
        Too bad you didn't say stuff like that as president, Barry.

Comment

Some take longer, and some never learn, because they don't have to.

Comment

Like I said, you on the left project YOUR behavior on others. Insults just underscore that fact.
            Obama is from Kenya (pushed by Trump, hard)
            Obama went to Harvard only because he's black (Trump)
            No way a black man can be that smart (trump - I want to see Obama's grades)
            Obama is a Muslim (many on the right)
            Michelle is an ape; so are her children (countless times)
            Michelle can be too black/sister-ish (Tucker Carlson actually said that)

Those are some of the more polite things the right said Obama and the first family.

Comment

Some take longer, and some never learn, because they don't have to.
              It's difficult if they work around other native language speakers and live in a community of the same. Face it, not many newly arrived immigrants can afford to live in Lynnfield. Economically and socially they'll more likely to live near other similar immigrants. My parents were immigrants. They both learned but it wasn't easy, took a long time (I was young and picked it up right away and often had to translate for them) and my dad only got OK at it. For whatever reason English was a block for him (he spoke 3 other languages fluently). English is one of the hardest languages to learn for non natives.
              http://mentalfloss.com/article/79843...reigners-learn

Comment

Am I racist for thinking that they should learn the language and customs?

Simple yes or no?

Comment

I continue to be amazed at the number of supposedly intelligent people who continue to hold onto these delusions. Trump Derangement Syndrome is real.
                  Bret Easton Ellis would like the mainstream news media to apologize for the “Trump derangement syndrome” that he says poisoned its coverage of the Mueller report.

“I want to state that I am not a Republican, I am not a conservative, I am not part of the right wing, I did not vote for Trump, I am not part of the alt-right, I am not interested in politics,” Ellis said.

He added: “Because I make fun of hysterical liberals — and why shouldn’t I? I live with one — as well as the crazy dishonest press, people think I am defending Trump. I don’t think it is about defending Trump at all, who I don’t care enough about, as much as it is about being lied to by the media.”

He continued: “There is no way to get around the fact that the mainstream media misled the country for the last two years. Period. I’m not saying that as a conservative, or as a liberal. I’m saying it simply as a witness.”

"This was the dead-end result of the mass psychosis on the left, the dead-end of Trump derangement syndrome, that is alive and well in our country, especially in the media, and is making them all look like fools. Absolute fools. And they should be humiliated by what they were perpetrating,” Ellis said.

“But I’m not going to get an apology. Because y’all is f—ing crazy,” he continued.

Ellis blamed “a moronic, liberal-led conspiracy that arrived at the right moment and caused the butt-hurt media, still licking its wounds over Hillary not being appointed queen to start salivating to grab onto anything and go with this story, this Russian hoax story.

Comment

Wouldn't it be great if the media actually pointed the finger where it truly belongs - with Congress who has neglected their charge to solve these problems? Both Obama and Trump's duty is to execute the laws passed by Congress, but the goddamn press who always takes sides makes it a blame game. You can be sure Obama will take no blame and Trump is always guilty. Who needs the press when you know how the news will be reported?
                    Trump separated children from their parents. Obama did not.

Please provide proof that Obama separated children from their parents.

Comment

Trump separated children from their parents. Obama did not.

Please provide proof that Obama separated children from their parents.
                      WaPo has 4 Pinocchios on Trumps claims that Obama separated families, same with many immigration groups who have said it didn't happen like Trump is claiming. They only did if the parents were being held for other crimes or there were concerns of human trafficking. In other words - under Obama it was the exception, under Trump it's the rule.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/polit...=.781fd756e442. The current administration has lost

Comment

Am I racist for thinking that they should learn the language and customs?

Simple yes or no?
                        Nobody?

Comment

Ilhan Omar regarding 9/11: “some people did something.”

Really no different then when Trump glosses over real white supremacists (not just white people accused of it based on no facts)

Assume there will be outrage across all the networks today....

Comment

AIC claimed climate change is a “major factor” of the global migrant crisis after earlier suggesting that the United States would have “blood on our hands” if legislation is not passed to tackle climate change.

“The far-right loves to drum up fear & resistance to immigrants,” the freshman congresswoman tweeted on Tuesday. “But have you ever noticed they never talk about what‘s causing people to flee their homes in the first place?

So, wait, disregarding more fear mongering....is she saying there IS an immigration problem? After denying it, now it's just moved to blaming?

Folks, can you get your stories straight? All over the friggin' place.

Comment

Nobody?
                              You have provided ample data that you ARE indeed a racist . We don’t need that question to make that call.

You are clearly fishing around to be called a racist ....maybe you are of similar mind to Stephen Miller ...

Are you aware his rabbi called him a racist ? His school colleagues did also. His own uncle did as well.

See how it works ?

Have a great day con.

How’s your something 🍔 tasting today ?

Comment

You have provided ample data that you ARE indeed a racist . We don’t need that question to make that call.

You are clearly fishing around to be called a racist ....maybe you are of similar mind to Stephen Miller ...

Are you aware his rabbi called him a racist ? His school colleagues did also. His own uncle did as well.

See how it works ?

Have a great day con.

How’s your something 🍔 tasting today ?

No. I am clearly asking if YOU think that asking to learn the language and customs in an area you emigrate to is racist.

A simple yes or no is really all you need to reply with.

Back to you.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                                Auto-Saved
                                x
                                Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                                x
                                Working...
                                X