Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Best style of play for a team?

What is the ultimate style for any team? Should it be one-touch passing? Or should players be trying to dribble around 2 or 3 opposing players even when on defense? I am talking about high school age teams. Aren't college teams looking for one-touch passing?

Boot-n-Scoot. End of thread.

Comment

Celtic FC Kick and Chase is the only option!

Comment

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
        What is the ultimate style for any team? Should it be one-touch passing? Or should players be trying to dribble around 2 or 3 opposing players even when on defense? I am talking about high school age teams. Aren't college teams looking for one-touch passing?
        Your style of play depends on the type of players you have. You can not be possession oriented team with out players that are very technically and with that type of mentality; on the other hand,. you can not play physical with small players.

Comment

Weird question. You need to take advantage of and seek space. Sometimes through dribbling, sometimes through quick short passes.

Comment

Originally posted by unregistered View Post
            boot-n-scoot. End of thread.
            he said end of thread!

Comment

Strange question and thread to say the least .... Standards of practice of USA soccer what more can be said every team has a style varies so what can you do choose a HS not able to your deal that card by your zip code or school zone. Any way good luck !

Comment

Colleges are looking for quick, fast players that are technically and tactically sound, period. The type of formation and style of soccer the HS or club coach uses is of no importance to a college coach during their evaluation of a player.

As far as passing and dribbling goes it really depends on where you are on the field. In the back, basically, you dribble in space and pass under pressure. You pass to open players who have space, or you dribble until you pull a defender away from another teammate which will create space. As the saying goes, a pass is quicker than any player on the field. Ball movement will open up a defense in the middle of the field and create passing lanes and opportunities for scoring in the final third. Whether that comes from a one touch pass or a pass off a dribble, it all depends on where the ball is going and the timing of the next play.

Comment

Your style of play depends on the type of players you have. You can not be possession oriented team with out players that are very technically and with that type of mentality; on the other hand,. you can not play physical with small players.
                  This response has to be from an American parent who is completely clueless.

Comment

I would always put the fast black kid up top and the fat kid in goal.

Comment

I have noticed a trend at all levels of the GK kicking it long every time, whether a goal kick or a punt. Same thing with set pieces away from the distance. We have the ball, let's keep it. Let's loosen up the defense and give our midfielders room to operate.

Comment

This response has to be from an American parent who is completely clueless.
                        You bloody Americans are fools. Just let is EnglishMEN do our jobs and you do yours of being a good parent.

Comment

Best style of play for a team?

Colleges are looking for quick, fast players that are technically and tactically sound, period. The type of formation and style of soccer the HS or club coach uses is of no importance to a college coach during their evaluation of a player.

As far as passing and dribbling goes it really depends on where you are on the field. In the back, basically, you dribble in space and pass under pressure. You pass to open players who have space, or you dribble until you pull a defender away from another teammate which will create space. As the saying goes, a pass is quicker than any player on the field. Ball movement will open up a defense in the middle of the field and create passing lanes and opportunities for scoring in the final third. Whether that comes from a one touch pass or a pass off a dribble, it all depends on where the ball is going and the timing of the next play.
                          You are absolutely correct. Thanks for a post that, unlike ~80% which are pure snivel from uninformed, angry parents, offers excellent insight. As someone who at 17 was selected to the U19 Youth National Team (so was my youth teammate F.H. on the Lake City Hawks) and at 18 turned pro (NASL), I rarely read posts on TS that reflect edifying insight. This one does. Thank you. I was taught the the German style of play, methodical possession, which produced, from 18 youth players on a single U18 team, three pros, six full scholarships, and three partial. Is it the best style? Not sure. Our coach, W.S. out of Seattle, was brilliant, focusing not on wins, but on player development. This, more than determining which "style" is best, is critical for "player" success. The reality is, however, club coaches these days get paid to win games, championships and bring home the hardware. This is focus on "team" success. Which do parents want more, wins or player development?

Comment

for 90% it is kick and chase. you are getting ripped off. Rec in high cost uniforms. Stop it already. Clubs are stealing from you.

Comment

You are absolutely correct. Thanks for a post that, unlike ~80% which are pure snivel from uninformed, angry parents, offers excellent insight. As someone who at 17 was selected to the U19 Youth National Team (so was my youth teammate F.H. on the Lake City Hawks) and at 18 turned pro (NASL), I rarely read posts on TS that reflect edifying insight. This one does. Thank you. I was taught the the German style of play, methodical possession, which produced, from 18 youth players on a single U18 team, three pros, six full scholarships, and three partial. Is it the best style? Not sure. Our coach, W.S. out of Seattle, was brilliant, focusing not on wins, but on player development. This, more than determining which "style" is best, is critical for "player" success. The reality is, however, club coaches these days get paid to win games, championships and bring home the hardware. This is focus on "team" success. Which do parents want more, wins or player development?
                              Unfortunately you are correct. Most teams/clubs/parents primary concern is about there team winning. They are blinded by this and not focused on there child's training and development. I see this at most clubs in North florida. They select the biggest and fastest kids at u10 for top team and immediately are happy with there success. When the kids hit 14 or 15 the physical advantages are gone and the more technical possession coached teams eat there lunch. Ball skills, ball skills, ball skills wins in the end.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
                              Auto-Saved
                              x
                              Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
                              x
                              Working...
                              X