Collapse
X
  •  
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Unregistered View Post
    I understand what you're saying, but I see where the OP is coming from....and I see it happen a lot as well.

The parents are chanting and singing while the other parents are just sitting there and getting annoyed by it.
    There is a difference on chanting and on singing: signing is when you here the European teams (mostly UK) sing a song for praise for a player (its fun, uplifting, tells a story), also in America for playing baseball ("Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the fields…"), Then there's chanting: its aggressive with intent (again American baseball, "Batter, batter….he's no batter,") and I think the origin from Europe that became adopted by many of the latino/Spanish population, ("Olé, olé, olé, olé,") in the US grates people because it is sung with a smugness, in your face, in your ear, when its time for a PK or other difficult moment.

Comment

There is a difference on chanting and on singing: signing is when you here the European teams (mostly UK) sing a song for praise for a player (its fun, uplifting, tells a story), also in America for playing baseball ("Take me out to the ball game, take me out to the fields…"), Then there's chanting: its aggressive with intent (again American baseball, "Batter, batter….he's no batter,") and I think the origin from Europe that became adopted by many of the latino/Spanish population, ("Olé, olé, olé, olé,") in the US grates people because it is sung with a smugness, in your face, in your ear, when its time for a PK or other difficult moment.
      but isn't it routinely done in basketball when the player is taking a free throw ? bleacher pounding, foot stomping, etc. don't agree with it, but it's done.

Comment

It seems to me the soccer has this unwritten rules be quite on PK's no yelling at the referees or your looked at funny , no sideline coaching ..... I cannot understand okay so just be silent say nothing even if you score. Stay calm shhhh be quite soccer is like golf ........ In America our culture is yelling cheering we do not express our self like let's go blue lets go Wellington you can do it get it going blue. It sounds stupid I just do not understand the best way to say it is golf .

Comment

Can someone please help me understand the reason behind the chanting on mainly the hispanic teams while the majority of the gringo teams just sit there and watch the game???

Passion? Lunacy? Lack of Passion?
          Could it be they are having fun? Go figure...people who have learned to actually have fun watching.

Comment

It seems to me the soccer has this unwritten rules be quite on PK's no yelling at the referees or your looked at funny , no sideline coaching ..... I cannot understand okay so just be silent say nothing even if you score. Stay calm shhhh be quite soccer is like golf ........ In America our culture is yelling cheering we do not express our self like let's go blue lets go Wellington you can do it get it going blue. It sounds stupid I just do not understand the best way to say it is golf .
            Yes, like polo in Wellington, very quiet and civilized.

Comment

Previously entered content was automatically saved. Restore or Discard.
            Auto-Saved
            x
            Insert: Thumbnail Small Medium Large Fullsize Remove  
            x
            Working...
            X